5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies (UK)
Published on 12 April 2009 by Mr. G. Price

3.0 out of 5 stars Another one smiles
Another dummies book on my shelf of dummies! I love the book as it's so simple and easy to locate with less of jargons..
Published 21 months ago by Postpip

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies (UK), 12 April 2009
Mr. G. Price - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
This is an excellent introduction to managing anxiety. In the style of the 'Dummies' series, it sets out basic information in a conversational style for those of us who don't know it all, but want to know more! I particularly found the '10 Top Tips' lists for managing and understanding worries great. This is for all of you who are looking for some useful information, but don't want to wade through a book of impossible technical stuff. It reads as though it is based on tried and tested techniques and academic ideas, but it's readable!! There is a related Workbook (of exercises which can help) in America, I'm looking for the UK one.

5.0 out of 5 stars overcoming anxiety for dummies, 19 Jun 2010
Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition

I can highly recommend this book to anyone suffering from anxiety. I only wish that I had discovered it long ago. I have read it from cover to cover and been very impressed by the sense that it makes. I can hardly believe the difference that it has made to my handling of problems. I have gained a new confidence and whereas before I felt ashamed of my fears, I now realise that so many thousands of other people feel the same and it is just a question of knowing the right way to handle them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly explains anxiety and methods for reducing it, 9 Dec 2010
Mr. T. Phillips "Music Trial" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
A very clear guide to coping with severe anxiety. Has really helped me understand why I feel it and helped show me methods to control it.
The only improvement I would suggest is that some of the authors own experiences are shared and these are quite lame examples. The fictional examples seem far more relevant.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book worth dipping into time and time again ;, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
i bought this a s a gift for somebody who is often anxious and is not a medical person ; She told me it's a wonderful book and just what a lay person can understand ; A good book for certain people for xmas?!

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful., 21 April 2014
This review is from: Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
Purchased this book for a friend who has been suffering with anxiety, She is finding it very useful and informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies,, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
Just what my husband needed - very helpful to refer to when needed. Easy book to refer to . Arrived quickly and service sufficient.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Overcoming Anxiety 'in Dummies Series, 9 Sep 2013
adelsman (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
A very comprehensive and eminently readable description of the various forms of anxiety experienced and the strategies employed to understand and deal with them

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't transfer well to Kindle, 18 Jan 2012
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A great book for explaining the causes of anxiety, it's effects on the body and generalities of how to deal with anxiety problems, but it falls a little short with it's self-help content. The chapters helping you to address where your anxieties comes from, how realistic they really are, and how to start facing them are great, but the medication information (pharma and alternative)is quite outdated now, and the quick remedies are the same old suggestions - watch TV, read a book, go for a walk.

Great for a longer term programme to overcome anxiety, rather than as help for immediate anxiety relief.

The book hasn't transferred well to Kindle though, the right hand side of the charts are missing and there's text cut-off midway. Also some of the diagrams haven't reproduced well enough to be fully readable. I returned the Kindle version for a refund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for "Understanding" Anxiety, 31 July 2012
Muhammad Ali Shah "jaywalker" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
The book serves two purposes: understanding anxiety and managing it. As far as the "understanding" part is concerned, this is an excellent book. I had been wrongly labelling my symptoms as "depression" and "being stressed-out" for the past several years until I got hold of this book. Before reading it, if someone would have asked me about anxiety, my reply would have been, "Anxiety, me? No way!" And yet, here I am!

Various types of anxiety are discussed in this book, and the basic common theme in most types of anxiety is identified as "avoidance." If you avoid something (whether a social situation or a particular setting of things), and wish that you had another way of dealing with it, you absolutely must get hold of this book! This could definitely be your first step in unleashing the true potential locked in your personality!

Let's now discuss the "managing" part of anxiety. The book gives you lots of strategies to manage (and reduce anxiety) such as "creating a tower of fear" and "gradual exposure". It goes on to cover even herbal and medical treatments!

While one should read through all the material on "understanding anxiety" (as you need to identify your own particular situation), it makes sense to be interested only in the "relevant" stuff from the strategies discussed to manage it. This is where no book can be the ideal one! Let's say that you suffer from social phobia, you would definitely not be interested in knowing how to manage obsessive-compulsive disorder or vice versa. And I think once you definitely know your type of anxiety, there should be better step-by-step books available out there to help you. For example, I believe that Overcoming Social Anxiety & Shyness or Shyness: A Bold New Approach could give your more strategies than this Dummies book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another one smiles, 21 Sep 2012

Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition
Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, UK Edition by Laura L. Smith (Paperback - 24 Aug 2007)
11.19