5.0 out of 5 stars Filling in the gaps
Published on 19 Oct 2010 by JMG

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the big picture but light on detail
Published 12 months ago by Mr. G. J. Dimmock

5.0 out of 5 stars Filling in the gaps, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: Twentieth Century History For Dummies (Paperback)
My 21 year-old daughter did little modern history at school, and her questions about events such as the Wall Street Crash revealed my own lack of knowledge in some areas. She's getting this book for Christmas - once I've finished it! It gives us enough to understand the background - political and social context to pivotal events in the 20th Century - without swamping us with too much detail. If she wants to know ALL about the Wall Street Crash, there are other books she can seek out, but this is an excellent and readable overview of all the important bits of the century, and exactly what we needed to fill in the gaps in our collective knowledge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the big picture but light on detail, 20 Nov 2013
Mr. G. J. Dimmock (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as additional background for a recreational course I am attending on 20th century history. It is written in the usual flippant style of Dummy books which is at times inappropriate. It does however give a pretty complete overview though it is light on detail - this would not be a good source for understanding the Great War. Overall it's useful to get a quick overview but it is not a standalone resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read., 9 April 2013
Charles W. Shipp (UK) - See all my reviews
Born in 1943, I've lived through an awful lot of this history & during my younger years not taken much notice of things as they happened. In latter years I've joined history societies trying to find out more about what the cause was behind two world wars. From this book I have found so much interesting material from which can be deduced the causation of current and recent world problems. I hear the current view that it is not necessary for children to know history and I strongly dispute that, it is critical to know what has happened in the past which is shaping our future. I also like the light hearted style in which this book is written.

5.0 out of 5 stars our history put simple, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Twentieth Century History For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm really satisfied with this book! It covers all the most important facts of the 20th century, a real insight in our recent history.
well written and a pleasure to read with the nice and simple style of the For Dummies series, I think I'll buy others like this.

Twentieth Century History For Dummies
Twentieth Century History For Dummies by Seán Lang (Paperback - 28 Mar 2008)