Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2010
Recently, my Grandson, a computer buff, persuaded me to update from Windows XP to Windows 7.
Once installed, I found I had teething problems. Windows 7 is a completely new and novel approach to home computing. Although I was competent in Windows XP, many of the advances included in Windows 7 were beyond my reach. So I bought a copy of "Windows 7 for Dummies". With its help, many of the advantages of Windows 7 began to make sense.
"Windows 7 for Dummies" is a book packed with good advice, hints & tips. Written in non-technical language it will prove invaluable to elderly computer users like myself.
The language used is simple to understand and most of the book is written in a humorous style.
The bottom line - Get a copy as soon as possible. You won't regret it !
11 comment|142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2009
I've always been a fan of the 'for Dummies' books - they are easy to read and allow you to get to the basic information quickly and if you are new to Windows then this book will do that for you. However if you are already comfortable with the basic windows techniques and are looking for something that is specific to Windows 7 - its new features and and how to get the most out of it, I don't recommend this book. About 90% of this book would apply to any Windows OS - XP or Vista. So if you understand Windows but want to know more about Windows 7 then this is not the book for you.
22 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2010
Being resonably new to computers and having purchased a lap top with windows 7, I needed help, but not an encyclopedia. Windows 7 for Dummies is excellent because you just look up what you want to know at the time and it is explained in plain language not computer speak.
Properly using it as a reference book is the best idea and both my wife and I find it most easy to use. Bearing in mind we are both over 60 years of age it does what it says in the title. Thank you Windows for Dummies.
on 5 January 2011
I was becoming a 24 7 help desk for my parents as they came to terms with modern technology. This book has made such a difference. They love the fact that they can problem solve things for themselves and I love the fact that there are no more phone calls at 7am on a Saturday morning!
on 17 June 2011
This is a good book for people who lead busy lives, and do not have time to wade through tech manuels.
It is easy to understand, and contains many relevant hints.
All of the Dummies books are a good reference.
on 12 February 2010
"Windows 7 for Dummies" fulfils its promise to make everything easier. I have just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and needed a simple way to navigate around my new application. "Windows 7 for Dummies" by Andy Rathbone is just the job. It is both entertaining to read and an excellent reference book.
on 10 November 2010
As windows 7 does not seem to come with a manual, I have found this book to be full of much needed information and would highly recomened it to any one using windows 7.
I am not a computer expert but I do have Windows 7 and have managed OK for a while without this book. But there is so much in it that I didn't know that I am amazed at how helpful it is. There is a mass of detail such as information about customising and upgrading; plug-ins and managing add-ons; music, photos and movies; avoiding viruses and changing firewall settings to list but a very few of the areas covered. It is all written in a clear manner with a friendly tone. I have found some of the Dummies series too chatty but this is lucid and appealing and seems to deal with every aspect with excellent little hints: for example on how to clean your mouse (I did not realise that an optical mouse might collect hairs and should not be used on a shiny surface, for example). I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve his/her knowledge of Windows 7.
on 30 July 2010
This book really only adds the odd bits of changes to vista,the vista book is a pretty hefty tome in its own right. This W7 book has bits, or tricks in it, that don't all work but is a useful addition to the vista book. Buy the cheapest one you can find or just print off pages from the W7 getting started pages.
on 1 June 2010
Having just about got to know my way around Windows XP which was not that different to 98, it was quite a culture shock to have a new computer with Windows 7. 7 is very different from XP, such as Email Windows Live. No longer is there 'Send/Receive' there is a mysterious 'Sync'. All these things and much more are explained in a way 'non computer nerds', like me, can understand. I recommend this book to all.