5.0 out of 5 stars very inspiring
I have been looking into going into the vegan lifestyle due to health problems like blood pressure which I wanted to control naturally through diet rather than taking medication. My doctor was happy for me to do this.

Published on 6 Jan 2011 by J. Ingram

3.0 out of 5 stars its okay
in all honest there a re far too many meat substitute ideas in this book for me. it is also written for the American market so can be difficult to get through. there were a few nice recipes which I will use but on the whole not worth getting for me.
Published 9 months ago by JC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars very inspiring, 6 Jan 2011
J. Ingram (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegan on the Cheap: Great Recipes and Simple Strategies That Save You Time and Money (Paperback)

I was impressed by the information in this book on how to eat healthily and save money such as making batches of meals to be used on other days. I bought a rice cooker which was brilliant and my children actually said they liked eating brown rice so am hoping to make their diets healthier too.

the recipes are easy to make and adapt to your own taste

5.0 out of 5 stars Family and Budget Friendly, 2 July 2012
E. Foster "Information Hound" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having been vegetarian for over 5 years, I decided to become vegan about 3 months ago. Feeding myself lovely vegan food was not a problem, but my omnivorous family were aghast at the 'weird' food I suddenly started to serve up at dinnertime. I began cooking two different meals, one meal for my two children and husband and a vegan meal for myself, but I found this exhausting and many days I couln't be bothered cooking for myself and would end up with a bowl of cereal. So I began investing in some vegan cookbooks, most of which have been brilliant, chock full of great ideas, but none of which were popular with my 3 and 6 year old children. So I tried this book on a whim, and it is fabulous.

The author begins with lots of advice on reducing your grocery bill and being organised enough to enjoy vegan food quickly without having to resort to cereal for dinner! The first recipe I tackled was 'Deluxe Vegetable Lasagna', which was gobbled up by the whole family. Result! Then 'Pasta e Fagioli' became a family favourite, and 'Sunday Supper Frittata' got the family eating tofu without even realising... The basic cooking recipes at the front are worth buying the book alone. I am currently simmering some homemade seitan, and despite being dubious about the 'Cheezey Sauce' I suddenly found myself with a permanent tub of it in the fridge ready to pour onto any number of dishes.

I made my monthly meal plan last night, ready for the beginning of the month shop as I do every month, and the majority of dishes planned are from this book. Just to clarify, I currently attend a well known slimming group and find that the dishes fit in with my healthy eating plan, so the recipes in this book may be cheap and cheerful, but are also healthy and satisfying. Absolutely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone should be using the tips in this book - not just vegans, 27 Sep 2010
I only became a vegan recently so this book looked interesting for someone dealing with how to start the habits needed to change their diet, and it has been. The section at the front explains theories behind saving time and money and eating healthy nutritious, delicious and interesting food. Suggesting menu planning for the week and writing a shopping list based on that has made life so much more energy and time effecient. At home now we have one night a week for cuisine from a different country (indian, east asian, italian, mexican etc) and collect recipes to use each week. Far from making food boring its actually made use more creative with food, while saving time and money. I live with my Dad, who used to have meat with every meal, but is happy to follow my diet and has remarked on how good the food has been, and he hasn't even missed meat!

4.0 out of 5 stars This book will help beginners on the way to becoming a creative vegan shopper and cook., 10 Jun 2013
A handy book. I have been Vegan for about a month now, and I have found this book to be very useful. It provides tips on shopping and stocking your cupboards cheaply. I have spent the last few weeks trying to internalise the 'cooking basics' at the beginning of the book, after which I will go on to tackle some of the meals.

The cooking basics, by themselves, have totally revolutionised my shopping styles. I am no longer spending big on meat substitutes; just two bakes seitan loaves diced can keep in the freezer and provide enough for a whole months supply; I am also amazed at how great the 'cheezee sauce' tastes, and find it as versatile at the seitan. The Peanut Sauce is a perfect marinade for my tofu, and I can use the excess in a stirfy. I have also learned to make my own vegetable stock, by collecting my vegetable trimmings in a tub in the fridge throughout the week. The chocolate brownies were simple and definitely do the trick. You can make expensive vegan treats such as chocolate and fudge go a lot further, should you decide to add these.

I don't have many complaints for this book. The first, and most obvious is that it is American and therefore features product names that we don't use in the UK. Secondly, some of the ingredients, such as nutritional yeast and wheat gluten, I could not find in the shops and had to order online. However, these ingredients feature pro;lifically in vegan cooking, so this is something I guess I will have to get used to. The final complain I would like to make, is that the book is 'vegan', but not necessarily healthy or environmentally minded. I have gone through a lot of olive oil and soya sauce following these recipes, and the authors suggest using supermarkets, tinned foods and overlooking organic products and the potential dangers of pesticides. Having said that, it IS after all about living Vegan on a budget, and I suppose that a vegan on a low income needs to make certain compromises on the journey of veganism.

I would definitely recommend to clueless cooks, new vegans and/or people on low incomes. This book will help you on the way to becoming a creative vegan shopper and cook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first Vegan cookbook, 24 Dec 2010
Being in the UK and this book being American I was a bit concerned I wouldnt be able to get hold of the ingredients. However all recipes have basic ingredients that are easy and cheap to get hold of, this is my first Vegan coobook and to tell the truth I can't think I'd need another it is so packed with super recipes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Vegan food, 12 Nov 2011
Jjdrew "jackie Drew" (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This is a great book,there are plenty of delicious recipies plus some clever ideas to enhance the food on the cheap. It can be a little difficult with some ingredients if you dont speak American English.for example a dish that frequently comes up is "Seitan" The flour ingredient is glutin flour !! I had to go to a health food shop to sort it.
Highly recomended for anyone either starting out on this healthy way of eating as well as for old hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a vegan book that doesn't go all about tofu and soya!, 7 Jun 2013
The reason for a 5-star is the originality of this book. Also, it's different from the many others out there. The cuisine is mostly Italian, and I, as a Spaniard, feel very close to that kind of cooking; it all sounds familiar. The book is great and the recipes look delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful and Delicious, 18 May 2011
Jane Easton "tofu queen" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Robin Robertson is like an American version of Rose Elliot, the UK's most established veggie cookery writer. What RR doesn't know about vegan food isn't worth bothering with, frankly! Her recipes are easy to follow and do what they say on the tin. Although this book is from the US, most dishes are easily do-able with a set of measuring cups (sold in just about every supermarket's kitchen section these days). Most ingredients are pretty easy too - if you get a bit confused do a Google search re alternative food names and brands. Seitan flour used to be hard to get hold of but is now finding its way into many independent health food shops - or buy it online from VeggieStuff's site or here on Amazon! I made the Big Stick Pepperoni yesterday for pennies and it tastes really good! Also, the Sour Cream is brilliant and so is the Bread Pudding Tiramisu -non-vegans are bowled over by both and they are not only relatively cheap to make but easy and yummy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info, 26 Nov 2013
This is a good resource. Because the writer has been eating the vegan way for a long time it gives me confidence following her tips. They are tried and tested.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 9 Mar 2013
Ms Emily T Joffe "Emca" (Penzance, Cornwall Great Britain) - See all my reviews
One of the best vegan cookbooks I have ever bought. I keep on using the recipes in this and the recipes are adaptable to whatever you have at hand or which is in season. I even get cravings for some of the recipes!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›