Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 May 2010
King's book is an excellent, lucid guide to the D90 which complements very well Ken Rockwell's more opinionated, but thoroughly informative on-line guide. King's book is comprehensive and should appeal equally to those who are new to contemporary SLR digital photography and the very experienced photographer. For instance, King treats the 'point and shoot' modes seriously and shows their posssibilities in a positive and non-patronising light. By this she encourages the beginner to become confident in using these settings as ones which which are valuable in themselves and as a way of gradually seeing the point and possibilities of the advanced modes.
King writes well. She is clear, uses simple language and combines her text with the copious illustrations in a tight fashion. In other words you don't have to keep flipping three or four pages which separate the words from the pics.
I highly recommend the book but I also recommend Rockwell's on-line guide as well to be read side by side King's. He sometimes makes strong recommendations about settings. I like this because he is never domineering and it can be a real help if you are new to digital SLR photography; but it can sometimes get in the way of exporing the camera's possibilities for yourself. King's book is more 'neutral' in this respect and so in some ways frees you up to try things out a bit more than Rockwell's guide does. I shouldn't, but sometimes when I don't follow one of Rockwell's strong suggestions, I feel worried that I am going against the expert's grain. Of course, that's my fault not Rockwell's, but I liked King's book especially because it told me what the camera is capable of and freed me up 'to play'.
After all, if you don't like your results you can scrub them out in a twinkling.
on 16 January 2010
Well written, well presented and well worth the money.
If you haven't used a digital SLR before then the instruction manual isn't much use.
This book shows you very clearly what everything on the camera does and why and when you should use it.
In effect it doubles up as a camera instruction book and a basic lesson in digital photography.
Highly recommended.
on 23 May 2010
This book is a absolute must for anyone who is serious about wanting to understand the D90. The Nikon manual is a nightmare to understand and a minefield to try to navigate and at times frustrating to say the least. This book explains it all clearly and in words and sections that make sense so that we can all understand what is being said. I have bought many cameras in my lifetime and I like to think I know what I am doing, however there are always hidden gems that other people can pass on to us and the Dummies books, (of which I have several) are a typical example of this. If you really want to get to grips with the D90 then this is for you. To sum up, this is money well spent.
on 1 July 2009
Great book. Easy read from start or to dip in for specifics. Great hints and tips and no assumption of previous knowledge of the jargon which was great.
on 17 June 2009
Very readable and very informative - gives all the info you need from the basic to the advanced in bite-size pieces. Ideal for the beginner.
on 21 July 2009
After being disappointed with the Magic Lantern Guide, I bought this one. This is much better and in full colour.Recommended.
on 8 March 2010
Bought this after buying the Camera and really should have done it the other way round, the Nikon manual covers everything but like a lot of other User Manuals is a little hard to read, the D90 for Dummies however explains things is a very easy to understand fashion. Have to say I wasn't fully convinced I had done the right thing until it arrived, once I had read it briefly I soon came to the conclusion I would be referring to the book on a regular basis, and I am. For the money, if you have a D90 you can't go wrong.
on 29 July 2009
Having finally made the move from my classic Nikon FM to the D90, I am finding this guide extremely helpful. It's very clearly written and suitable for both beginners and more advanced users. I really like the fact that the author encourages the reader to work with the automatic mode of the camera first and then to explore the many creative possibilities of the advanced exposure modes. This book is really helping me to have fun getting to know all about this fabulous camera from Nikon. Highly recommended and worth every penny.
on 23 August 2010
I ordered this because the Nikon D90 is my first DSLR. I have been using digital cameras for over a decade so I am quite familiar with basic features. This book explains a lot of the basics and much of Part I was irrelevant to what I needed because it was 'too' basic. That said, part II of the book is very useful for me. This is a great product and is well written and explains about the features of the D90 in plain, simple layman's terms, never taking it for granted that you would know the jargon. I would recommend this book to anyone who has purchased the D90 as their first DSLR and do not know too much about digital cameras. However, if you are more clued up on digital cameras and really want to get to know how to use the Nikon, I would suggest purchasing a book written by a dedicated Nikon fan - a book I recently purchased and prefer for a more advanced learning process - "Mastering the Nikon D90" by Darrell Young.
on 31 May 2010
Having bought a Nikon D90 a few months ago, and having previously owned a DSLR, I thought I'd be able to get to the grips with my new camera in no time at all. The D90 manual, whilst packed with useful information, reads more like a troubleshooting manual than a cover-to-cover guide on how to get the best out of your camera. It is for this reason that I bought the Nikon D90 for Dummies book. Don't get me wrong, the D90 manual itself has proved useful for individual queries that come up when you are using the camera (and is the best of the books to keep in your camera bag for those emergency issues) but if you want to get to know the camera fully and make sense of it all, I would recommend the Nikon D90 for Dummies book. The book allows you to cherry-pick the chapters about which you are most unsure, but is equally of use being read from front to back. A very useful purchase for any D90 user that is buying a Nikon for the first time.