5.0 out of 5 stars Experienced and novice
Published on 18 May 2010 by Jack Aubrey

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Content but much is cut and paste from the Authors earlier Book
A very nice, simple introduction to the use of the camera.
Personally I would have preferred to have seen some of the earlier chapters truncated somewhat (A Pre-Dummies Guide?) and a little more emphasis on using the camera.
However I lower my score for this book somewhat as large portions of the book as direct cut and paste from the Dummies Guide to the...
Published on 13 Oct 2011 by Russell3162001

5.0 out of 5 stars Experienced and novice, 18 May 2010
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
King's book is an excellent, lucid guide to the D90 which complements very well Ken Rockwell's more opinionated, but thoroughly informative on-line guide. King's book is comprehensive and should appeal equally to those who are new to contemporary SLR digital photography and the very experienced photographer. For instance, King treats the 'point and shoot' modes seriously and shows their posssibilities in a positive and non-patronising light. By this she encourages the beginner to become confident in using these settings as ones which which are valuable in themselves and as a way of gradually seeing the point and possibilities of the advanced modes.
King writes well. She is clear, uses simple language and combines her text with the copious illustrations in a tight fashion. In other words you don't have to keep flipping three or four pages which separate the words from the pics.
I highly recommend the book but I also recommend Rockwell's on-line guide as well to be read side by side King's. He sometimes makes strong recommendations about settings. I like this because he is never domineering and it can be a real help if you are new to digital SLR photography; but it can sometimes get in the way of exporing the camera's possibilities for yourself. King's book is more 'neutral' in this respect and so in some ways frees you up to try things out a bit more than Rockwell's guide does. I shouldn't, but sometimes when I don't follow one of Rockwell's strong suggestions, I feel worried that I am going against the expert's grain. Of course, that's my fault not Rockwell's, but I liked King's book especially because it told me what the camera is capable of and freed me up 'to play'.
After all, if you don't like your results you can scrub them out in a twinkling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good., 16 Jan 2010
A. Dale (Tanzania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
Well written, well presented and well worth the money.
If you haven't used a digital SLR before then the instruction manual isn't much use.
This book shows you very clearly what everything on the camera does and why and when you should use it.
In effect it doubles up as a camera instruction book and a basic lesson in digital photography.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars No longer a Nikon Dummy, 1 July 2009
J. Burrage - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
Great book. Easy read from start or to dip in for specifics. Great hints and tips and no assumption of previous knowledge of the jargon which was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money, 17 Jun 2009
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
Very readable and very informative - gives all the info you need from the basic to the advanced in bite-size pieces. Ideal for the beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is a absolute must for anyone who is serious about wanting to understand the D90. The Nikon manual is a nightmare to understand and a minefield to try to navigate and at times frustrating to say the least. This book explains it all clearly and in words and sections that make sense so that we can all understand what is being said. I have bought many cameras in my lifetime and I like to think I know what I am doing, however there are always hidden gems that other people can pass on to us and the Dummies books, (of which I have several) are a typical example of this. If you really want to get to grips with the D90 then this is for you. To sum up, this is money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D90 for Dummies, 21 July 2009
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
After being disappointed with the Magic Lantern Guide, I bought this one. This is much better and in full colour.Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars D90 for Dummies, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
Bought this after buying the Camera and really should have done it the other way round, the Nikon manual covers everything but like a lot of other User Manuals is a little hard to read, the D90 for Dummies however explains things is a very easy to understand fashion. Have to say I wasn't fully convinced I had done the right thing until it arrived, once I had read it briefly I soon came to the conclusion I would be referring to the book on a regular basis, and I am. For the money, if you have a D90 you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for the Nikon D90, 29 July 2009
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
Having finally made the move from my classic Nikon FM to the D90, I am finding this guide extremely helpful. It's very clearly written and suitable for both beginners and more advanced users. I really like the fact that the author encourages the reader to work with the automatic mode of the camera first and then to explore the many creative possibilities of the advanced exposure modes. This book is really helping me to have fun getting to know all about this fabulous camera from Nikon. Highly recommended and worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars d90, 12 Aug 2009
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
Well set out and written in friendly and relaxed manner. Some american colloquialisms are used which can throw you. Is a setting that is "just ducky" good or bad? Worth the Amazon price for simple approach to a complicated subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars a useful reference for amateur D90 owners, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Nikon D90 For Dummies (Paperback)
i had the D90 for like a month now as an upgrade for my D40x and i really liked it so much. when i bought the d90 i also bought this book as my reference for further info on how to deal with this new dslr of mine. i find it so useful especially on some techniques on how to take good pictures not found on the d90 manual.

Nikon D90 For Dummies
Nikon D90 For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Paperback - 6 Mar 2009)