5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent complete Dreamweaver CS4 training

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent starting point but dated methods
Published on 3 Jun 2009 by AE apprentice

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent complete Dreamweaver CS4 training, 16 Nov 2008
D Poisson "Perennialist" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
Over 100 pages in, my impressions so far. The style is immediately accessible and attractive, colour pictures to illustrate are integrated within the text, giving you the illustration when you need it, rather than in the standardised 'see the picture, now read what's happening here - or vice versa' layout of other publications. Here, the text is important, and wherever they have felt that a visual reinforcement was necessary, they've added it as a break in the paragraph. Perfect.

I was very surprised to find out just how good this book is since Adobe CS4 has only just really been released. I got this book because it was at the time pretty much the only one published. How lucky I was! I've read a few of these teach yourself books over the years, and I am confident when I say that this is the best I've read so far. Clearly written by a very talented educator rather than a computer geek cashing in (don't mean to offend anyone, but we should stick to what we do best! Knowing your way round a program doesn't mean you can teach!)

I am very satisfied and look forward to the times when I can sit down with it.

Bear in mind that this is a tutorial book, not a reference book. It will teach you how to use DW CS4 in an engrossing, easily retainable way, but if you already use CS3, it could be too methodical, (it assumes you are not familiar with the program).

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent starting point but dated methods, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
The book does an ok job of showing you round DW CS4 and is clear to follow, however it dedicates 2 chapters to table layout which in the grand scheme of things is a bit dated. This wont have been so bad if the current methods and one of the main CSS layout methods were covered- namely float layout. I am a beginner but I know the basics of CSS so this book is disappointing in that regard as it is one of the main web design techniques and it is not mentioned once. It needs an update in that side of things.
The videos are very short and not very descriptive to why things are being done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 19 Feb 2009
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
I bought it for my teenage sons to help them develop their sense of opportunities that the WWW presents and add extras to their education. Then I decided to flick through it myself. It is a well presented and well paced tutorial pitched at my, beginners, level. I've got average Microsoft desktop skills, no Adobe skills and don't want to be (will never be) a web wiz. By the time I got to lesson 5 I had just about everything I needed to do most of what I want to do, simple, but slick looking pages. After lesson 5 I went back to lesson 2 to start again to consolidate. I probably won't want most of the later lessons because they look more for those aspiring to get into web design in a bigger way, but who knows. Of course it helps that the Adobe products themselves appear to have been designed to accommodate novices.

The lesson videos on the DVD included with the book are short and simple and compliment the book exercises.

If you're starting from scratch and not a particularly programmer type person then this will be a good place to start. I'm guessing the more accomplished may benefit from the later chapters.

This is the best training I've done in a long time and money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 29 Dec 2008
G. Dykes "Graham" (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
Just moved up to CS4 from MX2004 so thought I needed a good book to catch up.

I agree with all the comments made in the other review of this book. A very nicely presented piece of work, top quality with pictures everywhere you need them and a very thorough work through of best features of CS4 without drifting too much into the realms of geekdom.

I have bought several CS4 books and this one is by far the best. Will certainly be buying some more from this range on other software when I need them.

1.0 out of 5 stars bought for the training videos but found them to be very short, 20 July 2009
Phil Janes (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
I bought this book primarily because it included training videos and others didn't. However the videos are very short and I don't even really fully know why they've bothered including them.

I've since tried out other training DVDs that don't come with books and highly recommend checking them out if you're serious about watching good training videos.

1.0 out of 5 stars says it's video training, but I don't see it!, 6 May 2009
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
The description says this is all about video tutorials but content included with the book is barely a few videos. Highly disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point, 20 April 2009
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
I'm a complete novice to Dreamweaver and a few chapters in. This book is excellent in introducing the program and showing the simplicity of how it works. The lessons are step by step and help build confidence quickly, the colour guide and DVD that comes with it all aid in making it simple and quick to go through.

The only limitation so far is that hand coding is not really tackled, at least not yet! However I suppose the beauty of dreamweaver is that is you can do so much visually instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant!, 9 May 2010
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
This book has been like a God-send to me, the times I've struggled to completley grasp the concepts of CCS Style sheets and take in the multitude of features Dreamweaver CS4 has to offer - this book has been an amazing help.

WIth CLEAR step by step instructions, reiteration of important processes, methodical stages, images and a DVD to recap - this is a marvelous book. I am just a beginner and I feel like I've made great head way in using Dreamwaver CS4, for beginners and skilled web designers alike, there is something to learn from this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too dry, 1 April 2010
L. Cobham (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom (Paperback)
I was new to web design when I started reading this (although I knew how the web worked and I've used the Adobe creative suite for a long time now) but I still found the exercises dry and boring. I followed the flow of a chapter and tried the quizzes at the end of each chapter but found I couldn't answer the questions without flipping back. The book seems to take you down an old way of designing web pages and then almost says don't bother with that way, do it this way! Frustrating and confusing.

I've finished the book now but I'm still struggling to understand how to do basic things. DIV Tags or Tables? Class and tag styles and pseudo selectors? You'll find yourself re-reading paragraphs over and over trying to grasp the jargon and how Dreamweaver works.

Saying all this though, it did get me started and has given me some good basics but I admit I have used a lot of Youtube footage to back up my learning but I will need a lot more training to design GOOD web pages.

Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom
Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom by AGI Creative Team (Paperback - 24 Oct 2008)
33.99