Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2009
This book is extremely thorough with great explanations of how to creat pop up items. Its also really good for basic ways in which to treat paper -cutting, scoring, sticking, folding, storing - extremely comprehensive and as such a great introduction to papercraft in general. Lots of helpful diagrams so I'd give it 10/10 for that. However, the quality of the book is poor - the backing is really thin card and the paper itself is that grey-ish recycled quality. I could cope with that but it is so thin you can see the text / diagrams shining through. Had I seen the quality before buying I'd have thought twice. There's not a huge discount on this book either. (Just 15% at time of writing.). That said, I'd probably buy again - its very readable, and I like the authors style - as if he was running a workshop - lots of good advice. I've given four stars - the missing one is to do with the physical quality of the book.
on 7 February 2010
Good, thorough and takes one through the basics so that more advanced stuff can be developed. The poor quality of printing makes the diagrams and pictures a bit hard to follow so read carefully folks.
on 9 April 2009
Throughout the years I have bought quite a lot of "for Dummies"-books, they give me a good knowledge about things that I find interesting.
This time, though, I was more then disappointed. Not about the context of the book, I have read different books written by the author, Rob Ives, and they are all good. But the quality of the printing and the paper are far bellow an acceptable standard. Unfortunately, this time the editor chose a paper quality comparable to those we can find on the cheapest newspapers you can get in the poorest countries on the world: This greyish paper, that make all the photos show in low contrast, is cheap and annoying from front to back cover.
In fact, after seeing this, I am sure that I am not going to order any new books from this series, until I am sure that the quality is back to normal again.
Sorry,
Georg Ulvehøj
Norway
on 19 May 2011
It is a irony that a book that teaches you to use good quality card to make the models is printed on very cheap paper. My book has two different colours of paper, a block of yellow tinged paper round about the middle while the rest has a greyish tinge.

The content of the book however is excellent. Rob Ives gives a relaxed and confident introduction to the different aspects of paper craft. There are plenty of good examples with full instructions. It does require the reader to experiment and work hard. The waving boatman however seems to have his arm on backwards!

I have already designed a pop up business card for my record company, Yew Tree Music Soon
on 22 August 2009
This is a fantastically useful book if you are interested in creating automata, or making greetings cards which go further than merely transmitting good wishes. The illustrations and instructions are clear and comprehensible, but don't insult you by treating you as if you have never seen a pair of scissors before! It does not assume that you necessarily possess a high level of drawing or manual ability, explaining how to solve problems to do with the work, both creative and practical, in a helpful, kindly fashion.
I have only one criticism: the paper the book is printed on is a very poor quality woodpulp paper, like the paper free newspapers are printed on. Like them, it will not survive the passage of time very well. I appreciate that the "Dummies" series is keenly produced down to a price, but cheapo is not quite the same as economical, nor can the use of this sort of paper be defended as being particularly ecological. This is a book to keep by you constantly as you work; if it disintegrates after a few years, where would you get another?
on 25 January 2010
This book is ridiculously dumbed down. I know it is supposed to be basic but whole pages are wasted on things like 'scissor safety.' 90% of the book is far too basic, going through boring chapters about which glue to use and where to buy paper. The rest (of actual interest) is not explained clearly enough as the paper and image quality of the book is so poor.

I skimmed through this book in an hour and found very little of use.
on 10 November 2013
Just about everything you need to know about making card mechanisms in one place. My only criticism is the quality of the paper used to print the book, grey and thin so that images show through. Other than that it is probably the best source you could get.
on 7 September 2013
this book has so many ideas and designs, its a real delight. Everything is explained step by step in a way that so smoothly simplifies the processes it seems strange that all craft books are not written so clearly! A real winner.
on 5 August 2012
book is is good condition,I was expecting something like oregami,this is more for children and how to construct small things out of paper,will look better next time,however the condition is fine and can recommend the seller
on 1 August 2015
A very worth while book for beginners, I bought this as a stocking filler for a grand child who had expressed an interest, the text is easy and perfect for starting out in the complex world of paper engineering.