1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not brilliant. Quite superficial in parts., 25 May 2010
David (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
Got a 1DS MkIII and thought that I would get the heads up on the extra stuff it could do beyond my existing 10D and 1D MkIIN.

John Kraus has done a reasonable job here. This book is nicely laid out, it has colour photographs for most of its illustrations. The text is easy to read and is quite informative. You can actually read this book if you like, rather than using it solely as a reference.

What it lacks is depth. The DS MkIII is a phenomenal piece of equipment but this book doesn't cover a lot of the more advanced features. The book is more about techniques.

The Canon manual is very brief and what I was looking for was a more user friendly interpretation of the manual. What I got was user friendly, but a bit light. Its a good brief guide to the camera, but not really much more than that and doesn't cover as much as the manual in my opinion. The 1D MkIII is a monster of a camera so perhaps thats what it needs; more detail. John Kraus has given a personal view of his use of the camera, with overviews of techniques, rather than concentrating on the camera. This in itself is quite nice as it gives some idea of what you can do. Most with this camera will probably know that anyway though.

OK. You might say that when you get a camera like the DS MkIII you should know what it does. I do, but like most people I have a small subset of things that I know well. What I needed was an easy to read book that told me how to do the things that I do not do regularly. Unfortunately this isn't it.

Would I buy it again? Probably - but mainly because I can put it in my bag. I don't like to ruin my manuals by taking them everywhere with me - they get damaged and lost.

ARRAY(0xa3088a08)

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Digital Field Guide
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Digital Field Guide by John Kraus (Paperback - 26 Jun 2009)
16.99