Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 February 2014
I imagine that this book was written normally and then either the author or the publisher or both decided "hey, this is a 'for dummies' book we need to make it lively and fun to read" and so they decided to pepper it with fun, wacky jokes and comments in the belief that this would somehow make it more enjoyable to read.

Let me tell you, there is nothing 'fun' about data warehousing, which is not to say that it isn't interesting or relevant if you are in that line of work, however it's not something you are going to be joking about down the pub. In fact, if you are even talking about it at all down the pub then it had better be with work colleagues (who also work in data warehousing) and not your mates, otherwise they won't be your mates for very long.

The way the author has done this makes him come across as some hideous, Alan Partridge-esque geek snorting through laughs as he makes ridiculous, patronising comments about relational database technology and OLAP cubes.

Possibly there is a cultural mismatch here and this is all completely acceptable in America, however if that is the case then it really doesn't translate well.

However, if you can rise above or ignore completely those few peppered comments the book is actually a very good and well-written overview of data warehousing, hence the 3 stars
on 5 April 2010
As someone new to Data Warehousing I found this book to be an excellent introduction and more. It takes a reader with little knowledge and makes him/her comfortable with DW concepts and principles, and more importantly, the DW language and jargon. It also takes the reader to a level beyond just the basics so that he/she understands how DW works in practice, and importantly it focuses on the realities, benefits and pitfalls of getting DW to work for real. There is therefore a very important theme running throughout the book of the importance of practical implementation and the challenges that will be encountered in executing a DW strategy. The book also covers Business Intelligence (BI) which is the whole reason for DWs and similarly it provides an excellent overview of the various aspects of this crucial topic. I feel this book has now given me confidence to know and understand how DW works and what it is all about despite having little in the way of IT background. There were some elements where database techniques are discussed that left me with a few questions. However, these were easily answered by consulting other books or going online. Overall - an excellent book with an easy, informal, well-written style and very comprehensive and authoritative content.
on 4 June 2013
Whilst this is not going to win any contest for a good read..it does what it says on the tin and is an excellent reference book
on 30 March 2016
Sadly I did not buy the right book when I bought this. What I was actually looking for was a book on methods of Data Mining for Biological Scientists and got confused. So effectively I wasted my money, but that's not the author's fault. Other than that it was an informative book, even if it was on the wrong subject for me. Just wish I was into Data Warehousing and could understand some of it.
on 19 February 2013
Provided me with exactly the information I needed in an easy and understandable manner. Often the explanations of these type of subject matters can be over complicated. This was a great introduction.
VINE VOICEon 12 July 2007
I've never bought a 'Guide for Dummies' before and all the prejudices I had about them are turning out to be true.

This book's style is totally inappropriate for its audience.

Let me explain. If I bought a Dummies Guide to, say, Shakespeare or Windows Vista then I could forgive the author if it was written in a jokey or chatty style. These are subjects that attract dilettantes, readers who may want a more relaxed introduction to their chosen topic. But no one is going to want to read a book about Data Warehousing unless they are already an IT professional. Furthermore, when said professional (me in this case) picks up this book he/she isn't looking to be entertained - this isn't pleasure reading - they're looking to learn the facts as quickly and painlessly as possible. Long introductions and cringe making jokes just get in the way of this.

I'll give a 'for instance'. The author states that a data warehouse doesn't need to be large (terabytes of data and scores of tables, etc). Simple enough. He then decides to emphasise this point by paraphrasing the conversation from the film Crocodile Dundee where the hero whips out his knife and says to the mugger 'That's not a knife, this is a knife' (substite 'data warehouse' for 'knife' in the previous sentence). Why? Does the author think I'll be rolling around on the floor laughing, saying 'Gee, I only wish learning could be this much fun all the time'? Seriously, this dross takes up half a page.

The back cover proclaims that this is a plain English guide to Data warehousing. The publishers obviously don't understand the differnce between 'cheesy English' and 'plain English'. I wouldn't say this book is factually incorrect in anyway, it's just very inaccessible. It should be no bigger than an O'Reilly pocket guide, instead it is 300 pages of chat and padding.
on 11 February 2015
Makes it all so easy
on 23 April 1999
This book is really excellent. Before reading it, everything in Datawarehousing seemed to be dark, but now, everyone listen to me when I talk to other people about data warehouse. Is the first book I am motivated to read from the beginning through the end.
on 7 December 2015