5.0 out of 5 stars A great Blender book to help fill in the gaps.
Published on 21 Mar. 2009 by G. J. Kingsnorth

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this book!!!
I bought this to try to get started with Blender and really wanted to get the intro to Blender type info, as well as go through some tutorials. It may be just me but i feel this book just goes through loads of lengthy descriptions about the GUI. I tend to switch off after about 30 seconds when bombarded with ways to click/adjust features i didn't even know i needed...
Published on 30 Aug. 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Blender book to help fill in the gaps., 21 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
I've been teaching 3D animation for about six years now and had used packages such as 3D Studio Max and Carrara Studio, among others. However, about 18 months ago one of my students was reluctant to use Carrara and instead used Blender 3D running from a USB pen on a PC. As I watched him I began to realise how powerful Blender 3D was. Initially I have been reluctant to spend much time learning the package but was inspired by what the student was doing. From then on I began to invest a lot of time to learn Blender and bought quite a few books.

Blender for Dummies is a lot clearer than most and, though not full of tutorials, filled in the gaps that the other books seem to have. It's very useful for beginners and for those more experienced in giving the fundamentals. I use it quite a bit for getting into the theory behind the processes Blender uses. In more recent months I have found my skill level increasing and I have become more confident in developing my own tutorials.

Blender for Dummies has helped me to explore the compositing features in Blender and to discover lathing, lofting and metaball modeling. I would recommend this book as a good reference to filling in the gaps found in many of the other books on Blender 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid introduction to Blender 2.48a, 2 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
I've tinkered with Blender on and off for about two years, but was put off by the interface amongst other things but I did love the program. This book is highly recommended as it explains the interface and how to think in Blenderese! Blender is far more powerful than i suspected and is easily a match for expensive commercial software. Buy this book as a solid intro to Blender and how it works. a word of warning though, it does only cover the basics and many topics are only skimmed over so further research will be required. but with such an amazing community out there that isn't a problem! Go buy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this book!!!, 30 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)

I'm sure this will be a great reference book once i get up to speed with Blender but 'For Dummies' series of books implies that it should be an easy to follow walk-thruogh, and this book is definetely not that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good guide to the abilities of blender, a great place to start., 22 July 2010
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
I don't usually review items but I found this book very easy to follow, I'm new the 3d modelling. I was looking for a book that covered the different things that Blender could do as well as well as get me started on actually doing them. The author is very knowledgeable and describes the various capabilities of Blender very well. Blender is a very complicated program but the author does a great job of breaking it into easy to follow chunks and then slowly builds in capability with practical examples all the way.

The only gripe I have is that it can be difficult to see the detail in some of the images (as the majority are black and white). This is only a minor issue, there are several pages of colour images in the book, and would not in anyway prevent me from recommending this book to anyone who wants to know what blender is, what it can do and how you do it. As with any book, you're mileage will vary but it's a brilliant starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, 11 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is great if you're just starting with Blender or even if you have some experience. The book doesn't have tutorials as such but instead delivers all the information to you for you to digest and practise. This suited the way I learn as just doing tutorials and following instructions without knowing the why about it doesn't really get you anywhere. If you need tutorials there are plenty on the net but this book is invaluable at explaining things. All the questions that I had after searching information and tutorials on the net were answered by this book. Best money I've ever spent. No more is Blender a mystery to me. Well done Jason van Gumster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Blender for newcomers - dummies or otherwise!, 16 Dec. 2009
Richard Prangnell "Truth is not a statistic" (Newmarket, Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
This book provides a well balanced introduction to the Blender way of doing things - which is exactly the approach taken by professional 3D developers; namely to make efficient use of the keyboard rather than mouse-clicking for all repetitive tasks. While this requires effort to learn, it is well worth doing as the approach minimises the risk of the Repetitive Strain Injury that was the bane of many 3D full-timers who tried to use the mouse more or less exclusively.

Once the Blender user interface is mastered (and admittedly this takes time), progress is swift! You'll likely be pleasantly surprised at your increased throughput even in other applications, as many of the Blender keyboard assignments are common across a wide range of external programs; including word processing and spreadsheet applications.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to standard, 15 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of the Dummies book range, but this one is nowhere near the usual standard. In short, titles and layout are fine but the text is woolly.

Okay if you just want a detailed explanation of the controls.

But if you're looking for a helping hand to get started, look on YouTube! Although the author clearly knows his stuff, he just can't get the message across in a crisp accessible way. Waste of money.

4.0 out of 5 stars blender for dummies review, 24 Aug. 2009
F. Rendles "wurm" (London,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
a very difficult program to master but this goes a long way to getting you started.

2.0 out of 5 stars I am a dummy-Help!, 27 Sept. 2010
Mr. R. S. Preisner "gimpnovice" (Blackpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
We are all different in how we approach learning and how we adapt to things. It may be my age, (65yrs), but the way I like to learn is to be shown how to do a simple exercise, become confident,and learn from this point onwards with increasing confidence. I can build my knowledge base and confidence if I can get over this first hurdle. Sadly, this book has not helped me to do this, but maybe,that is just me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, 26 Mar. 2009
A. Mackie (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blender For Dummies (Paperback)
I gave this book 4 stars to highlight some points.

This was the first book I bought to get myself into using Blender and it got me nowhere! That is because the book has no traditional tutorials (as in this is how you do this, in order to do that press this button, here is a picture of the button.)

Because it lacks that structure it's not THAT useful as a starter text.

I used a book called The official Blender 2.3 Guide which i got my hands on for tuturials and it is good.

Ps i haven't got anything against this book, I still use it and it has alot of very good information in it.

Blender For Dummies
Blender For Dummies by Jason van Gumster (Paperback - 26 Jan. 2009)
Used & New from: £2.40