5.0 out of 5 stars Take reporting to another level, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: Balanced Scorecards and Operational Dashboards with Microsoft Excel (Paperback)
As an advanced Excel user, I have been looking for a book on Excel that actually taught me something. I have developed Balanced Scorecards in the past and with my current professional focus being board level reporting for a portfolio of operational projects, the subject matter of this book was of interest for a number of reasons.

The book provides guidance towards developing your own Balanced Scorecards, helping you to work out what you need to report, before moving into the domain of handling data and creating charts and tables. I am excited by the discovery of the concept of operational dashboards, this has enabled me to develop some of the ideas that I had developed alone and not quite known how. I have instantly changed the way I use Excel to handle data, using methods and functions that are far more robust, and critically - easily scalable. The Micro-Chart function, a recommended Add-In, is excellent, well worth the cost and will transform the presentation of reports.

Overall, this book is highly recommended if you want to take your reporting to a higher level, critically if you want to produce `apparently' simple reports (ie. That look simple but present a lot of clear and useful information) to aid decision making.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book delivers exactly what the title says, 25 Sep 2009
The Balanced Scorecards & Operational Dashboards delivers exactly what the title says. This is a great book, and it's amazing how well the author managed to embrace the theory down to the formula in Excel. During this journey Ron walks you through many very interesting topics such as strategic maps and underpinning tools, guidance in facilitating vision workshops and lots of useful ways to build strategies - and how to implement them.
Furthermore there are many useful links and ideas. Normally the downsides always exist but in this case I having trouble finding any. This will book will be an important part of my work with BSC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough and well structured book - excellent!!!, 22 Jun 2011
The title of the book immediately caught my eye as I am currently in the process of creating my first BSC for my organisation. This is an excellent reference book that, especially for debutant BSCers (albeit with years of experience with using Excel nonetheless) such as myself, provides the why, what and hows of the BSC in addition to the who (can make it happen) and when.

For me the most valuable part of the book is that before launching into how to design the BSC in using Excel, the author first of all sets the context as to why creating the BSC is important and the resources you need (genuine stakeholder/senior management commitment/mission statements/vision statements/organisational plans etc) as the bare minimum on which to start the process. From there, it's up to the reader to then make of it what they will.

The book has provided me with the not only the practical knowledge of how to use particular techniques, but also the theoretical underpinning in order to make whatever is included within our company's BSC meaningful and purposeful.

Now when I talk to stakeholders about our BSC, the conversations have more meaning about what objectives we are trying to acheive and who owns which part of the process, as well as the confidence to question the most senior stakeholders what exactly is it they want in order to make sure that the efforts made to get the data (which may involve new processes and take time to produce) worthwhile.

Further, the book is littered with words of wisdom and references to the creators of the BSC (Kaplan & Norton) and other management luminaries such as Peter Drucker.

All in all a very useful and interesting read and comes as highly recommended. MW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 29 April 2012
Stephen Maher "Steve" (GB) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book because I am a jobseeker with a background in Loss Prevention, which involved a lot of data analysis and reporting to the tall chairs upstairs. The book takes you through Balanced Scorecards, preparation and presentation, and getting the support for your project to integration. It's all there; SWOT analysis, Change State, Iniative Matrix and Strategy Maps and honing the critical factors.

The real gem for me is the structure of Operational Dashboards where Ron takes you by chapter through the range of functions (using MATCH & INDEX instead of VLOOKUP and arguing that VLOOKUP lacks the operational diversity of MATCH and INDEX). It's all in there as basics; Pivots and microcharts, custom labels, formatting, Lists and Tables, inter-active charts, forecasting, targets and alerts, drilling, add-ins, finishing touches, intergration and publishing.

The book sets out the groundwork. It's up to you to further your research and get the skills but it made me go further with Excel, which in itself is the most powerful program I've ever used and amazingly diverse. Will it get me that statistical or analytical job? That's up to me too and I'm pushing for it.

As a sideline, I registered with Ron's website and got a welcoming email asking why I bought the book? This made it feel very personal. It all feels very organised and I have not put the book away on the shelf since buying it.
If you want all the answers, it isn't in this book with such a huge spectrum of matter but it gives you the groundwork and it suggests where to find the expertise. Nice one. Top marks from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to get into BI world, 8 Sep 2010
If you are looking for a general picture of the BI world and Excel capabilities then this is the right book.

Good references and clear ideas to improve your daily work.

If you are looking for a 100% Excel tricks and models, then it's not appropriate for you, because it has been divided by 3, and the first and second parts are strategy approaches in order to let you think about what you are really looking for and only the 3rd will give you tricks, models and so on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Consolidation of advances made on this subject in recent years, 19 Feb 2009
Philip Adams "philA" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I liked this book. having bought several on the subject, I found this incorporated the information and techniques introduced over the past few years and then some. A good read, easy to follow. Have bought a copy for my work colleague.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Worthwhile Purchase, 23 Sep 2009
Paul J. Travers "PT" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This book provides a comprehensive overview of the subject. It also has excellent 'work-through' examples of various techniques which can be used in Microsoft Excel when developing scorecards and dashboards. Anyone considering developing scorecards or dashboards for their organisation should purchase this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much about strategy I didn't know, so much about Excel I didn't know, 9 Mar 2014
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I consider myself reasonably good at both strategic consulting and MS Excel. I do management consulting for a living, and I regularly write simulation model spreadsheets and macros and custom functions in Excel.
Although this book is actually designed around Excel 2007 (and I'm on 2013), it is still bang up to date. Taught me a lot about strategy maps and working out what you want the operations to contribute to, linkages, and how to get the measures working. Then I found that it taught me a whole lot about MS Excel as well, with options such as permanent windows that I didn't even know existed, and ways to create dashboards without programming as well as to create with programming. Perhaps i should look out a current edition (bought this second hand)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 29 May 2013
Good book for people who have been out of touch with modern business management theory. Gives good back ground to what Balanced Score Card and why we need it. I am sure the part on excel is going to be as gripping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jun 2011
The book is indeed a valuable must have for any accountant or management consultant as It gives a multidimensional view of the business in a simple, practical and succinct way. It would give you the tools to indeed wow your clients and add value to their business.

Balanced Scorecards and Operational Dashboards with Microsoft Excel