5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the D60 Manual
This book is an excellent guide to using the Nikon D60 and also as a beginner's guide to DSLR photography in general. It is aimed at people upgrading from compact cameras to DSLR and is packed with useful hints and tips.

Published on 5 Sept. 2008 by CR

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for absolute beginners!
Published on 24 Dec. 2010 by BerlinerPooh

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the D60 Manual, 5 Sept. 2008
CR (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)

There are pages of sample photos with in depth explanations of how each aspect of every picture was created. The author knows his stuff and seems to have enjoyed using the D60 to take some excellent example photographs.

The menus and buttons/switches on the camera are all explained in easy to understand terminology and I recommend this book to anyone who has bought the D60 and is new to DSLR photography. It's much easier to understand and more enjoyable to read than the rather boring black and white manual the camera came with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, 3 Oct. 2008
Small Fry (Inbred, Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
If you've got a Nikon D60, then you'll be looking at this and wondering if this is worth buying to get more out of your camera....

If all you want to do is learn what all the buttons do, then don't bother buying this. The same info is contained in the comprehensive manual that came with your camera.

If you're looking to learn better photography, then there are better, more detailed manuals and books on this subject available.

If however you're looking for a small book, that you can take with you that will allow you to refresh your memory on the cameras functions, or what's the right way to set up a shot, and what kinds of lens to pick for a given style of photography, and reminders for all those other things its easy to forget, then this book's invaluable when you are out and about.

Small enough that it will easily fit in your camera bag, yet detailed enough and organised properly so that you can make better shots on the fly, this will help you make the most of your D60.

Definitely reccomended

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking little book..., 5 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I go along with Chris R's review of this tidy alternative to the (very good) Nikon manual that comes with this neat DSLR.

After a few years of using compact digitals, I missed my old 35mm SLRs, and plumped for the D-60 as a light but full-featured camera that is well-built, has a nice weight and is an excellent entry into the world of high-quality digital photography.

The Field guide is like a manual-plus in that it covers all the knobs-and-dials bits, then has much more detailed tips and reminders as to how to get the best out of the kit.

A bargain at the price, penned by an enthusiast who obviously likes the camera itself, and all in full colour. An easy way to learn your way about with this fairly complex tool, and delivered in a remarkable 36hrs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful guide, 18 Mar. 2009
Donald McPhee "donniemcphee" (Glasgow U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I bought this field guide after my wife bought me a Nikon D60 for my birthday unfortunately the seller she purchased it from, here on Amazon, was from Holland and naturally the camera came with a dutch instruction book. Being from Glasgow dutch aint a language I am familiar with. After manfully struggling to figure out the camera by myself I gave up and bought this field manual.
Best decision ever. Not only did it explain all the setttings and functions but it also supplies a myriad of helpful photography hints.
Being a total amatuer these were very helpful and improved my shots overnight.
If you need help with the D60 or just want to improve your photography a little this book is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 16 April 2009
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
This book or similar field guide books are a must have for the non-professional photographer.

The main reason for buying the book was to find a quick solution to fix the camera should it not work or to reset the camera to the default settings if needed and the book did help. This book is not a replacement manual however it covers items like `white balance' and `noise' and explains this in plain simple easy to understand language.

This book is not just a Nikon D60 manual but it is also a camera book that covers accessories and picture composition, gives examples of sport, portrait, landscape, close-up shots. It covers focusing also manual focusing and Nikon lenses should you ever need to use them. Also covers lighting in great detail and covers different type of flash units (speedlights) and the benefits of bounce flash.

There are other field guides on the Nikon D60 out there but I think this book is an ideal guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D60 field guide, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
Excellent book detailing operation of the Nikon D60 camera and lenses. I found it really useful as this is my first venture into digital SLR after being a keen compact user for quite some time.

The book in some ways mirrors the user manual, but then goes further, explaining in more detail and easier to follow steps the various modes and functions of the camera.

Will be useful as a reference source for a long time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for absolute beginners!, 24 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I am new to Nikon, DSLR and the principals of photography in general! I've owned simple point-and-shoot digital cameras with presets and even though I have managed (mostly by accident) to take some very decent photographs, I wanted to explore a little further. I purchased the D60 along with this book which came highly recommended. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine guide if you want to know where all the buttons are, what functions the camera can perform and where to find these function. What this guide does not convey is how, when and why you might need to play with these. It is basically a glorified version of the user manual and is of little use to someone who struggles to comprehend aperture, shutter speed, white balance, depth of field and so on.

If you want to learn about photography and how the D60 can help you turn snap shots into great pics, this is not the right book for you ... or me :o(

4.0 out of 5 stars a helpful guide, 15 Jun. 2011
Naomi Crosby (Derbyshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I inherited a D60 and wanted to test out whether I'd be interested in taking photography seriously. I'm better at the techy stuff than picture composition but so far (and I've not used it much) it's giving me the sort of information that will help me compose decent pictures too. The book explains when you might want to use each of the different automatic settings, which is really useful for practicing different aspects of the camera one at a time, eg when you want to concentrate on shutter speed, or depth of field. It also looks at use of light, taking pics in poor light etc and on holiday recently (without the book) I helped a friend take a decent shot when he felt the light wasn't sufficient! So I'd recommend it for someone like me at the beginning of a journey towards being a good photographer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A step up from the user guide, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I purchased the D60 about a year ago and gave up on the user manual, I managed to work out the basics, but missed some of the old features I was used to using with a standard film based SLR. I knew the features were packed in there someplace; this book has helped me to locate and use some great features. If you are new to photography and the D60 this is a great guide, taking you through the features of the camera and some useful stuff on general photographic technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I'm new to this photography lark and as I'd just bought a Nikon D60 I thought I'd buy an additional guide rather than relying on the Nikon camera instructions. This book not only takes you through the features of the D60 it also takes you through taking different styles of photos etc. Highly recommended. However, if your an experienced photographer you can probably manage with the Nikon instructions out of the box.

Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide by J. Dennis Thomas (Paperback - 22 July 2008)