Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 March 2009
With all due respect to the brilliant linguists who can translate technical detail into English, there will always be sections that don't quite make sense. This guide ensures that you understand everything about this excellent camera. Simple explanation combined with well labelled diagrams makes it very readable and very useful. The writer clearly knows the camera and clearly knows photography so the reader will learn to make full use of all the cameras features and also gain some excellent tips from an experienced practitioner. No matter how long you have been taking pictures there will be things for you. If you are transferring from 35mm to digital photography, this guide will make the change from Chemist to computer much easier. A very useful guide, economically priced.
on 28 April 2009
If you are new to DSLR photography as I am then you have a double learning curve. You have to learn about the controls on your camera as well as learning the effects of changing aperture, shutter speed etc, not to mention learning to assess the light conditions. All too often I was ending up knowing what I wanted to do, but not remembering how to do it on the A200. Or seeing a setting on the A200's control panel and not being able to remember how it would affect the photograph. What I needed was a guide where I could quickly link photographic requirements to the way they were implemented on my camera. That is just what this guide does. It has sections that take you through the many controls and settings, followed by chapters on how light works and what that means for the photographer. All of this is presented in a practical way and with lots of enthusiasm that keeps you reading.
If I have a criticism it is that when he refers back from discussing a camrea setting to how you do it on the A200 he refers only to the chapter. This leaves you scrabbling through the book looking for the exact page. It would be beneficial for the novice trying to apply the rules if he referred to the exact page where you find the setting information for the A200.
But this is a minor complaint. For the newcomer to photography with the A200 this book is a first class guide, and excellent value for money at the price.
on 7 April 2009
Easy to read and follow, if your new to photography or moving up from film it's an ideal companion to the Sony A200. It won't go into much depth on things but covers all the subjects needed and ultimately its designed to get you used to the camera, if you want specific techniques then there are other books for this.
As an introduction to the Sony A200 it beats the manual hands down.
on 18 April 2009
very impressed with book good simple explaination of camera and all its workings also good crisp colour photos i would very much recommend this book
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2009
I read about this book after purchasing my Sony a200k DSLR and was glad I did; it is a mine of information. Each chapter and page are clearly laid out and everything you need to know is covered. This book certainly beats any boring manual, as the instructions and tips, bring your learning experience to life. I found the guide very easy to use and there is lots of cross-referencing to assist the reader, as well as excellent advice and suggestions. My photography has definitely improved because of this book.
I see quite some variation in reviews regarding this. Not suprised I have to say because photgraphy is a hobby in many cases and that inevitably polarises opinion as it is such a personal thing.

I came to DSLR route with little camera knowledge - still don't have much if I'm honest - and needed somthing that would help me on my way when using my Sony DSLR. This book has proved to be just that.

It gives you the techie stuff needed to actually operate the camera and use it's functions - with fortunately a good explanation as to why you have them.

There are plenty of tips - which no doubt you can find elsewhere as well, but as they come rolled up with the Sony info for the camera it helps enormously.

As for the detractors - they seem to fall into two camps as far as I can see. Those who are already knowledgeable regarding DSLR cameras and simply need a field guide, and those who have no knowledge at all and somehow want something that will take them by the hand and get excellent shots for them.

If like me you have limited knowledge but understand that it is you and the practice that you are prepared to put into the hobby that will eventually get you the pictures you want, then this is an ideal book. It tells me all I need to know regarding the operation of the camera. I get some pro tips to help me on my way as well. I now understand that I have to put some figurative leg work in to gain the deeper understanding of taking good pictures and I'm happy to do that. So far I have had some rubbish stuff but I have also taken some pictures that I'm quite proud of. Not going to threaten a Vogue pro but it's a start.

So to recap. Get this book as a means to learn your Sony DSLR, which it is excellent for. After that you will have to go and put that knowledge into practice - and at that point this book comes in handy as a reference guide.
on 21 February 2009
A very comprehensive and well illustrated guide to an excellent camera. There are no omissions that I can see and the book is excellent value.
on 9 October 2009
As a new user of DSLR camera I found this book excellent for the beginner full of simple diagrams and easy instructions on how to get the best out of your Sony Alpha A200, I had this book on holiday with my camera and lenses and used some of the tips and the pictures were outstanding, I would highly recommend this book as a great investment for the Alpha A200 user.
on 19 August 2009
I was dreading on e of those books aimed at 'tekies', this is not it. This is perfect for a first time owner of a DSLR camera, no complicated jargon just steps you can take to understand and use the camera better. It even tells you the chapters to skip, if you are just wanting to get on and take photos. Excellent!
I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 16 May 2009
This book is a must have for your camera, in full colour and precise clear instructions, well worth the price!