4.0 out of 5 stars A good book BUT . . .
Published 23 months ago by Spring

3.0 out of 5 stars It is what the title says it is
First go through the online tutorials available, then consider if you really need this book. It's neither a manual nor an introduction to computer science.
Published 21 months ago by jenhul

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book BUT . . ., 6 May 2013
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)
. . . if you take it in isolation, it isn't going to teach you have to use java. I had to learn java from scratch very quickly for a university project and this book seemed a good way to get a gentle introduction. What actually happened was that I read the first few sections, which go through downloading java (which wasn't relevant to me at the time as I was using the university system. However I have since installed Eclipse on my laptop for my own use and the download instructions provided on the book's website are very good) and the history of java. There are then sections explaining the basics - variables, fields, classes, methods etc etc - which are backed up with plenty of well explained examples. The problem is that short of typing out the example programs verbatim, the book doesn't provide any way to try out programming yourself. I actually gave up on it for a couple of weeks until I'd got a grasp on the very basics of the java syntax, and had written a few short programs of my own. After that, I came back to the book and once I had a basic understanding, it became very useful, because it goes into a lot of detail about the many subtleties of the language that can trip you up and cause all sorts of compiling errors (although you do have to read the book page to page to pick all these up). It also doesn't assume that you're working from an IDE, and provides information on using java from the command line, again very useful. So I'd defnitely recommend this book, but I'd also suggest finding some very simple java tutorials online/ wherever to let you test out the very basics first. I guess if you think of it as learning any other language - you won't learn French from just reading verb tables and a dictionary, you have to find your feet by speaking a little bit as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)
I do not usually learn from reading, I much prefer video tutorials. However, this book was clear and has enabled be a basic understanding of Java programming, also it's pretty funny too :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction for previous programmers, 2 May 2014
Daniel Baron - See all my reviews
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)
contains everything apart from multi dimensional arrays and threads. Great book, clearly laid out with some strange humor, me second book of the series so a definite from me.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is what the title says it is, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for people who have dabbled in coding., 22 April 2012
Ian Johnson (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)
This book: Java For Dummies is an excellent book to pick up if you are looking to expand your programming knowledge into another language, it works at a steady pace and makes all the more complicated aspects of the language easy to understand.

As a note (and as someone has replied on a different review) this book does assume that you've already had some experience with coding, and as such isn't perfect for an absolute beginner, but it wouldn't take very long to understand the basics if you follow a basic Java tutorial online (or on Oracle's website), or you could buy this book: Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies which is by the same person, and this will give you a more detailed overview of Java as a programming language which will help you to understand the details in this book.

I bought this book to aid my study as I am doing a degree which needs Java, and I have to say it has helped a whole lot, as stated earlier, it makes all the aspects easier to understand than if you were attempting to learn online. A lot of the examples are simple, and the author walks you through what the various parts of the program actually do so that you can understand what the program is doing when you run it.

As a whole, I would fully recommend this book to anyone who is wanting to learn another programming language, or is currently learning Java as it is simple, easy to understand, and works at a pace which won't make you feel intimidated by the options available within the language itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would be better if titled 'Introduction to Java for Dummies', 20 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)
This book has some great analogies and I enjoyed reading it a lot. I read this as my first ever introduction to Java and I think it was quite a good place to start. If you have no experience with programming then perhaps you would be frustrated with this books lack of detail though.

Java certainly does seem to have it's share of peculiarities and this short books code samples, inevitably have a ' just take this as written' style of explanation in places. What you get is a fun to read, whistle stop tour that illustrates how to do stuff with Java, which is probably going to leave you wanting for more .

The explanation of interfaces is pretty poor IMHO, in trying to explain things in a fun way, avoiding using technical words, the book left me frustrated here! As with a lot of 'Dummies' books, there are plenty of 'see chapter X for details on Y' all over the place, and this gets a bit tiresome, there is an Index after all. Such a basic idea as starting Class names with capital letters is not mentioned unless I'm mistaken? This was my first big 'AHA' discovery when I started reading my /2nd/ book about Java after finishing this one !!

Generally speaking, this book is not comprehensive enough in itself to really get one up to speed and writing Java programs, it's just been honed down too much and even the frequent references to the books Web site don't seem to compensate fully. Personally I still think I need to read quite extensively on the subject before I am able to rely on the API documentation as the main source of information. I am just glad to have a good overview of Java before I set my teeth into a bigger book which is able to present the more detailed specifics of the language.

As a final note, I would add that I agree with another reviewer who says that the 'Java: How To Program' book is a great place to go for coding practice. Knowledge without action is often useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dummies unite, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)
This product does exactly what it says¡! Book is easy to follow, whilst not being patronising.Highly recommend this for someone starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 July 2014
Useful for appletts

4.0 out of 5 stars Java for dummies like me, 21 Oct. 2011
Raf (Burgess Hill, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)
The book is a great buy, its complexity increases as flick through from begging to the end (which is usually a good sign). Barry Burds methods of communication with the books audience is fantastic and at times quite funny, very clear and concise. I recommend this book to any amateur Java programmer, but make sure you buy the latest edition as Java tends to change its programming rules.

5.0 out of 5 stars java, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Java For Dummies (Paperback)
I found this an easy book to read and to understand. Very Useful for learning Java, I would recommend this book!

Java For Dummies
Java For Dummies by Barry Burd (Paperback - 5 Aug. 2011)