Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 April 2009
I was hoping this book would serve as a complete reference to Illustrator CS4, but I was very disappointed. Some of the really powerful new features have been given only a passing mention (for example, the blob brush tool gets one very brief introduction at the start of the book, and that's it.) The 'cutting edge' artwork examples mentioned on the cover are generally pretty poor, and I wasn't inspired at all by any of the visual examples used. However, if you already know Illustrator CS4 well and just want a quick memory jog to remind you of keyboard shortcuts, etc, it would probably serve your purpose.
on 5 October 2010
I have previously used Corel Draw 9 on a PC and loved the book that I got for that (the official guide by Foster D Coburn and P McCormick). I had somehow got it into my head that a big book on Illustrator would be as good as this other volume, now that I had moved on to using a Mac and Illustrator CS4. How wrong I was.

While the Corel Book was brilliantly clear and instinctive to navigate, this book on Illustrator is not. The example graphics are strangely chosen - a large amount of space taken up with simplistic flashy automated processes and not enough space used for shedding light on how to take control and do stuff. Significantly, I feel that Corel is the better program at the moment, but I think it is because this book has left a nasty taste in my mouth! It has made me realise how important a good guide is for these epic programs.