5.0 out of 5 stars A book to refer back to again and again!
Published on 27 Jun 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for parents....and full of unbelievable 'miracle cures'
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to refer back to again and again!, 27 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I can not say enough positive things about this outstanding book. As a child therapist, who works with many children in the foster care system and increasing numbers of adopted children, Theraplay has become the single most important tool in my repertoire of therapy modalities. It is very exciting to find a method of working with children that offers practical and impactful strategies to try, which are very different from what you may already be doing. I have also attended the Theraplay trainings at the Theraplay Institute in Chicago and am near completion of the Theraplay Certification process. Even if I am not using Theraplay with a particular child, the foundation and understanding of attachment that this model has given me pervade my work. Parents of children that I am using Theraplay with often report dramatic progress in their child's behavior and attachment to them in a short period of time. One father of an internationally adopted child that I am using Theraplay with said it best. He stated, "We finally came to realize that our child was not going to be able to fully benefit from all the supportive services we were taking him to (including occupational therapy, speech therapy, and physical therapy) until he was able to form an attachment with us. Theraplay has allowed that attachment to form and we are now seeing much more progress in other areas of development."
The model of using parents as co-therapists, as presented in the book, is very empowering to parents and the parents I use Theraplay with have many positive comments to say about this. One foster/adoptive mother recently told me she thinks that every foster or adoptive parent should be required to learn Theraplay. She adds "It has given me a whole new understanding of my adopted children and their needs."
Theraplay is not only useful for children with attachment and bonding difficulties, but I have found it particularly useful for children diagnosed with ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. This is a comprehensive book that you will refer back to again and again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for parents....and full of unbelievable 'miracle cures', 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Theraplay: Helping Parents and Children Build Better Relationships Through Attachment-Based Play (Paperback)
We were recommended this book by our adoption agency as a good start to understanding theraplay techniques. Whilst it manages to convey the fun playful approach needed to engage and connect with traumatised children, much of the book is not aimed at parents. In fact much of the book is preoccupied with the setting up and organising of formal therapy sessions and is not relevant to everyday parents in the home. Furthermore, its attitude towards parents often seems to make them seem secondary to the therapist, implying that the childs most important relationship should be with the therapist not the parent. As an adoptive parent and professional who has worked with traumatised children for the last ten years I also found its 'mirical healing' promises somewhat far fetched. I do not dispute that many children can be reached through play therapy, but suggesting that they are 'cured' of their attachment disorders after a few hour long therapy sessions is unbelievable. Read it by all means, but don't let it be all you read on the subject and don't take it too literally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Theory, 9 Jan 2011
Found this fairly heavy going, I'm a parent not a child development professional, but well worth the effort to read it. I think best to also get the more practical 'Fun To Grow On' which gives brief explanation of the theory and explains lots of techniques for families to do at home.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but questionable, 9 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I was recommended this book by a social worker who specialises in adoption, and was interested as my children are adopted, and because I am a counsellor myself and am training to be a play therapist.
I found it a very interesting read, and thought it illustrated well the importance of helping children develop healthy attachments, especially those children who have been separated from their family of origin. However, the methodology of the therapy I found quite shocking. It is extremely therapist led, and, I thought, frequently humiliating, especially for parents. For example, sessions often include making an inventory of a child's small hurts and rubbing them with baby powder. I guess this is to symbolise love and care. The author is also frequently openly critical of parents' attempts to co-operate with her agenda in sessions.
I imagine that this book would appeal to those who like to work in a very tightly managed and directive way to help children and families, such as social workers may. It is less likely to appeal to mainstream play therapists, counsellors or psychotherapists who work in an exploratory way. If you are a parent of a troubled child, be prepared to find the book patronising and disparaging.
This may be one to get out from the library before thinking of buying, as I wish I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 27 April 2013
I found this book really well laid out and clearly written. It contains many case examples which help to explain the theory. As an occupational therapist working in sensory integration and attachment it helped me to understand how I could be more directive in my sessions if a child's play had become unproductive. It is a vey practical approach and gives many ideas for intervention in children with a variety of conditions including autism, ADHD and attachment. It has made me want to read up further on Theraplay as an approach. This book would also be good for parents but be prepared to do a few hours reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars To go with the training..., 5 April 2011
This book was given to us to accompany the training, so I would only recommed it to those who are or have done the initial Theraplay training otherwise the concepts might be difficult to grasp if you have not seen it in action or experienced it for yourself. I highly recommend the training.
The concept is excellent. One reviewer thought it to be patronising to parents but when practicised the feedback given to parents is very gentle and entirely works on their strengths. What it is trying to teach is for parents to become attuned to their emotional needs which don't always match the chronological age of the child. It helps parents to become more emotionally literate and have fun and moments of connection with their children. It is a practical and very hands on therapy and I like it because many parents can see the child as the problem when it is in fact the relationship between them that isn't quite right and needs the intervention. It isn't about talking through past problems, though they are very relevant to the assessment but about the here and now.
Theraplay works through '4 dimensions' of nurture, structure, challenge and engagement, the book is very useful as it gives you case studies where you can see how a treatment plan has been put in place and how it relates to the issues that the parents and child have faced.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 12 Jun 2011
I had some idea about Theraplay previously but have found this book very easy to read and so far helpful. I am not a professional but feel I could easily use some of the pay techniques on my daughter.