5.0 out of 5 stars no sugar and no yeat diet
Published 3 months ago by me

1.0 out of 5 stars The most impractical help ever?
So, where to start? As a 35 year old who has had hayfever for years and just recently developed asthma, I was (and am) keen to explore alternatives to Western medicine's answer of treating the symptoms with inhalers. Enter this book. Unfortunately, if you wish to live any sort of normal life, this book is not the answer.

It starts by recommending a huge battery...
Published on 16 May 2009 by mssmith1

1.0 out of 5 stars The most impractical help ever?, 16 May 2009
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Allergy and Asthma Cure: A Complete 8-Step Nutritional Program (Paperback)

It starts by recommending a huge battery of food sensitivity tests you need to take (the author prefers to start with a base list of 100 foods). It then gets to the heart of the advice, which is the author's assertion that most asthma is caused by an excess of candida, which is a fungus found naturally inside the body.

The "cure" (which is split into two parts, depending on whether you are overweight or not) is then an incredibly (and I mean incredibly!) restrictive diet aimed at elminating a huge variety of foods. This to me just screamed impractical and also unhealthy if you look at the bigger picture (for example wine and beer are out, but a bit of scotch and vodka are ok).

The diet seems to conflict with much well established health advice, and also that in wider health books such as the anti-cancer nutrition plan and the China study (both general health books which impressed me much more than this one).

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the acid test "did it work"; it may well do, but at what cost to your overall health and the practicality of living on that sort of elimination diet?

Good points? Well the books starts with a look at the rise of allergies and asthma and also the physiology of both conditions, which if you've never read anything about them, will prove helpful.

I suppose if your allergies and asthma are so bad that you will do anything, no matter how extreme, to get rid of them, then you may find the book helpful. For those of us who have learned to cope but are searching for a better way, this book doesn't have the answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars no sugar and no yeat diet, 3 April 2014
I bought this book for the no sugar and no yeast diet. It tell you everything in great detail but in a easy way to understand. After two weeks of no sugar I was so tired with a headache I wrote to Dr Prescatore saying how tired I was and how long would I go through this phase. The Dr worte back informing me that it would soon get better and now 4 weeks into the diet my energy level has come back and the head ache has gone.
Excellent book

5.0 out of 5 stars a breath of fresh air...., 20 Dec 2005
I've suffered from allergies - hay fever/dust allergy since my early teens (now 31) and in the last 3 years I've developed mild asthma. 2 weeks on the program and my symptoms are gone, no wheezing, less than 5% of my normal sneezing. Having come from a medical background (father a doctor, a short time spent in medical school) I know all to well how western medicine treats the symptoms and not the cause, the author of this book treats the cause and I can't wait to go back to my GP and tell him I've cured my asthma. 100% recommended for anyone who has asthma or other allergies and who wants to CURE them!

The Allergy and Asthma Cure: A Complete 8-Step Nutritional Program
The Allergy and Asthma Cure: A Complete 8-Step Nutritional Program by Fred Pescatore M.D. (Paperback - 9 May 2008)
9.39