5.0 out of 5 stars healing psoriasis book
Published on 29 Feb 2012 by andy

3.0 out of 5 stars Initial views after 3 months
Don't like the way the book is written, that everything is fact (fine he believes that I know), when science undermines some of his theories.

Don't like the diet chapter, its really hard to pull out in summary what you need to do.

Looks like there are lots of fake reviews on here the way they are written.

Have focussed on the diet and...
Published 1 month ago by NewDad

5.0 out of 5 stars healing psoriasis book, 29 Feb 2012
This review is from: Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative (Paperback)
I live in Cleveland (UK). I am 46 and have suffered Psoriasis since my mid 20s. Can't say any particular trigger because i have always had lots of different types of stress just like anyone. What is stress to me, may not be stress to someone else and visa versa. Have been under the care of a local specialist and they have done a great job of helping me over many years (thank you to all involved). Started with bath PUVA, then TL01UVB which worked well until I was told they could not give me any more! Tried Acitretin and then Methotrexate but had bad side effects. They wanted to put me on Humera but I don't like the idea of my T cells being messed about and imune system compromised. The Psoriasis was about 60% of my body and plaque type which at times cracks and bleeds. So bad the carpets had to be Hoovered every day. At the last minute I said to the consultant to put things on hold as I wanted to persue a more natural alternate therapy. I am so pleased I did! I researched on the net and found "Healing Psoriasis". I read all of the feedback comments and decided to buy a copy from Amazon. I read the full book and put a lot of the recomendations in to place (mainly the diet, slippery elm (AM) and Yellow Saffron or Camomile (PM)). Hard to get American yellow Saffron though so I used the expensive Saffron from a health food shop. Drink at least 1 to 2 litres of bottle water a day (not carbonated). Eat plenty of veg and fruit (certain fruit should be at separate times i.e not mixed together as a fruit salad). Salads are recomended but I don't like rabit food and am very fussy about what I eat which makes the diet even more restrictive for me. I love sugar, cakes, pies etc but if you want to get better you must resist temptation and stay off of these things. Stay off red meat and spices. But seriously I have only mentioned a few things here but read the book as it is full of good info and advice based on years of experience. Also lots of before and after pictures in the book.

I moisturise day and night with e45 cream (not lotion). Loads of other creams claim to heal but remember the book says to heal from the inside so I would just go for a good moisturiser of your choice. Focus your mind on the diet working and visualise your skin looking the way it did how you remember it in a favourite photo when you were young, feeling well and possibly tanned. Every time I applied the cream I thought about the favourite photo etc.
I noticed after several weeks that my skin was looking better and I was feeling more alert. I stayed possitive but didn't stand looking at myself each day wondering if it was working, I just stayed possitive and got on with life. At times my skin was very itchy and it is hard not to scratch but you need to try to push on with the diet. I would also recommend finding a Homeopath or a specialist with knowledge of de toxing/ nutrition as they should be able to help with the de tox.(The de tox can cause your skin to start to clear very well but then get worse in a different way)
I would normally have been for a course of UVB treatment with the specialist at least once or twice per year and each time for about 12 weeks or so. Since reading the book around January 2010, I have not been back to see the consultant (its now Feb 2012). I admit that once my skin cleared by about 45%, I thought I could start eating the junk food again. So I did - just a little treat here and there but then it turned in to a bit more etc. The Psoriasis started to come back but the best thought was that I know that I can control it. I am now on the diet for the second time in 2 years - I have been on it since late December 2011. My skin is clearing again. Many years ago a friend had mentioned it could be poor diet but when I mentioned it to the consultant, he said no it has nothing to do with diet! If I thought it would do any good, I would buy a copy and give it to the consultant to read and ask him to pass it on to his colegues because although they have helped many people and do a marvelous job, I do feel that many Psoriasis and Excema sufferers and CONSULTANTS would benefit greatly from this book. All I can say is it works for me! Stay possitive!!
Once I get my skin back to 100% healthy, I am going to make sure I STAY on the diet as much as possible because it is much harder to go back to it once you pick up the unhealthy things again!!. Bye the way, I have had to re train my way of thinking. I now eat the food that my body NEEDS to stay fit and well and NOT the food that I would LIKE to eat. I.e - I never liked Brocoli but I now eat lots of it and am starting to like it. I like pies, cakes, sweets and chocolate but its poisonous to my body so I stay away from it.
Don't just flick through the pages of the book, read it all and as you go along make notes in the back of the book of the things that apply to you. Could also jot the page number down etc and this makes it easier to refer back to a particular item at a later date.

8th March 2012 update (sorry about the long text but hope it helps)
The book talks about the Itching phase but does not mention how long to expect it to last (i guess its different for each person). The first time I did the diet a couple of years ago, i do recall itching but I think it was only several days or a week or so (can't remember). But this time I have been itching since mid January to March (its easing off and getting less itchy now). It could be some sort of an alergy to something and compleatley separate to the diet and is taking its time to be purged? I have been eating certain things I don't usually eat and I was also exposed to black mould so it could be mould spores. The Psoriasis is healed on my arms and front thighs. Other patches not flaky but pink and healing. But the itching broke out in to prickly heat or Hives? several weeks ago and has been driving me mad. I went to local Doctor and showed where the Psoriasis had healed and I said I was at the Doctors about the prickly heat they said 1 week of anti biotics Eurthomicin cos I am alergic to Penicilin. They said take hay fever tablets which I did but still itching. Went back to Doctors, showed a different one the Psoriasis who seemingly has a special intrest in skin conditions and I mentioned the diet since December. She said there is nothing in the medical books to sugest diet for Psoriasis and did not even ask what type of diet I had been on (I will bite my tongue now at this point). She then said that the red patches on my skin (the Hives or similar?)was a different form of Psoriasis which I have not had before. She may be right - time will tell! She refered me to the Specialist (apointment is in late March). I went for a High Colonic 6th March and on that evening the itching which was all over my body had reduced by about 80% and easily bearable now. Its the 1st Colonic I have had because I have been trying to do it without. But the book says you get big gains in progress by doing it so I decided to go for it. I am now taking friendly Bacteria in capsule form to replace the good bacteria that the anti biotics have killed. I am also taking Q10 as recomended by the qualified nurse who is very knowledgable. Also checking out the Gerson therapy (google it)- seemingly the nurse has been pressing vegetables for years! If all goes to plan, I hope to see the consultant with very few red marks or Psoriasis.
My conclusion so far. Each person may react in a different way because they are influincing different conditions such as types of food eaten (compared to what they have always consumed i.e junk food). Making a sudden BIG change to loads of fruit and vegetables and water i think may be too harsh so i would keep a daily food log and introduce fruit, veg and water gradually over several weeks. In my opinion (and I am not a doctor so use your own judgement) this will allow your body more time to match/ cope with de toxing the bad stuff and reduce the chances of itching for several weeks like me because the bad stuff is coming through the skin instead of down the toilet! The first time you try a new food write it down the time that you have it and if you notice a reaction, it could point to it being that food (or something else that hapened externally such as using a chemical for cleaning, exposure to mould etc). Don't have 2 new items the same day or consider several days between trying anything new because you will not know what has caused a reaction if it happens! I am not trying to put anyone off - but just to inform you of what has hapened to me and ways that I would start the diet differently if I had to start from scratch. Another conclusion of course is that the reacton (itching skin) is simply because the Liver and Kidneys are full up with toxins and can't cope so the toxins have no where else to go but out through the skin. Buy the book it gets the thumbs up from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars This actually works if followed! Recommended to the hospital for patients., 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative (Paperback)
It should really by my sister who writes this review as I bought it for her, but it has helped her so much that I am really keen to share.

My sister has had psoriasis covering most of her body, most of her life (now in her late 20's). She has tried everything ~ steroid creams, PUVA etc

I am a cancer Survivor myself and used nutrition for my recovery and regression. I have been driving her crazy with my nutrition advice for years now. I decided to buy her this book for her birthday so that she could hear it from someone else, and she hasn't looked back!

The recipes are delicious and the effects are amazing if you are dedicated I promise you, the results will happen, even my sister's doctors and nurses are astounded by her improvement and she has recommended the book to the hospital for other patients to follow. My sister managed to get rid of almost all of her psoriasis, before she started she was about 80% covered from head to toe.

Dr John Pagano (the author) has sadly passed away a few months ago, but his legacy is a beautiful guide to all those feeling trapped by this condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical at first........, 26 Jun 2002
Cormac Mac Artain (Dundalk, Co. Louth Ireland) - See all my reviews
Suffered for last 14 years.
Tried all conventional methods. Polytar/sunlight/creams etc
to no great effect.
Doctors told me that "..I would just have to live with it."
Have been sticking to books regimen more or less for the
last 3/4 weeks with excellent results. My initial scepticism
has gone out the window.
Its not a quick fix and requires continuous application of the
regimen but it is 100% worth the effort.

The rate I am healing I am hoping to be all clear in 3-4 months
max.
If you really want to get rid of Psorsasis/Ecemza then definitely
buy this book but it does require discipline.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early days but going great....., 7 Aug 2001
By A Customer
My husband had despaired of ever curing his psoriasis. The only thing that worked after trying many, many creams was UV treatment but once that stopped it returned. We have been following the diet from the book for 8 days now and already his hands are starting to clear. We both feel much healthier and have high hopes for the months to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me too. (And two years on it's still working)., 19 Jan 2009
This review is from: Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative (Paperback)
I asked my dermatologist if changing my diet would help my psoriasis. He said no. He was wrong. This method does work. I no longer have psoriasis and it feels like a miracle. There are a few things to give up (pizza for example) but no pizza is worth the pain of psoriasis! I have to admit I only did the easy stuff (not eating tomatoes, peppers, aubergines or potatoes) and I did follow the hair washing advice (I had scalp psoriasis). But it has all gone after 30 years of awful creams, horrid smelling lotions and nasty shampoos. I think it might be a case of reading the book and finding your level. BUT IT WORKS!

April 2011: Just wanted to come back and say that I'm still free of psoriasis thanks to the advice in this book. It still feels like a miracle. I've now grown out the heavy fringe I had to hide the psoriasis on my forehead. The thickening of the skin has gone, the redness has gone, the big sticky flakes of skin have gone. I now occasionally eat tomatoes and potatoes (and pizza!). All it took was following just a few simple steps and making a few diet changes.

May 2013: Yes, it requires discipline, yes I still don't tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, but I do sometimes eat potatoes (and pizza!) Yes I'm still clear of psoriasis. This worked for me and I will always be grateful for Dr John Pagano and his book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing!, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative (Paperback)
I've had psoriasis for 13 years, I've tried UVB, steroid, coal tar which recently stopped having any effect on my skin. My psoriasis is in patches on every part of my body. I found this book during a flare up out of desperation! So glad I did....I've been following the regime for nearly 8 weeks and I feel amazing. I've lost a stone in weight, I've feel more alert and the diet feels like second nature now. My skin is beginning to clear, it feels smooth but is still pink in places. My nail psoriasis is gone (i couldnt even peel an orange without pain,) It hasn't been easy, I've had a huge flair up on my face which was awful, but that's now gone. I haven't had the enemas, colonics, drink teas but I have followed the diet and been very strict about drinking 8 glasses of water per day. I still enjoy the odd glass of wine and cigarette. I can't recommend this book enough, I feel in control of my skin and my body, I'm like a confident new person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed and overjoyed, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative (Paperback)
I found this book after feeling like i had run out of ways to control my pretty severe psoriasis. I just wish i had found it sooner, i am currently 4 mounths into the regimen and i would say i am 70% clear. I have stuck to the diet fairly rigidly with the odd cheat but the results have been amazing. Although they were most aparent after about one month when huge patches just cleared. Since then progress is steady but constant.I am sure the dermetologists deny the connection to diet because they are in the pocket of the drug companies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it works, 17 Feb 2008
Catherine (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This endorses all the other reviews. I have had psoriasis for over twenty years, gradually getting worse over that time, to the point where I was pretty much covered in it. I have now followed the dietary advice in this book for 6 weeks, and the psoriasis has practically gone. I still have a little on my scalp and behind my ears (i.e. in the places where it started all those years ago) but everywhere else is clear. I have been pretty assiduous about the diet, although I still have one cup of coffee per day. I haven't taken enough exercise, and I haven't done the colonic irrigation stuff that the book recommends, but it's still worked. I feel much better, and am sleeping much better than I have in years. The book is very American and frankly quite weird in places but do not be put off by any of this. It does what it says it will do, i.e. it cures psoriasis, and when you've been plagued by this unpleasant, confidence-sapping skin disease, that's all you need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 8 Sep 2009
I suffered with psoriasis for around 15 years and it was so severe at one point that I was hospitalised for ten days! The hospital treatment of coal tar and UVB certainly worked and I went home with out a spot in sight. But, within three weeks it was back again to continue to ruin my life. Once again the topicals and the UVB were sold to me as the only solution; but I just didn't believe this was the way forward. I remember seeing a consultant and begging for some UVB as I was going on a holiday with the university and didn't want to walk around covered in psoriasis. He told me that they could not get me in for UVB and that I should take some meds. I wasn't happy about this, especially when I realised the meds would require me to have a regular liver biopsy!! Even though I was in the worst state with psoriasis (prbs 90% coverage and even under my eyelids making my eyes bloodshot) that I had ever been, I gave him back the prescription and said that I didn't believe the way forward in treating this disease was to potentially give me a WORSE condition than I already had! Anything that is damaging my liver is unlikely to be of any longterm help!!!

That was when I found this book. Within a few months I was clear even though all the way through the process I was telling myself 'it will never work!' What more is there to say? I now feel I have control over my condition. I get the odd few spots here and there but I can control them. To some people the diet may seem restrictive; but if you suffered like I did you will do whatever it takes! I already ate a healthy diet so I initially thought it wasn't going to make much of a difference. But it does! Stick with it for at least six months. You will go through the odd flare up, but eventually it will start to go. Probably completely within six months! After 15 years of suffering six months didn't feel such a hardship!

Don't believe the drs who tell you diet is not a factor. If you truly follow the advice in this book you can prove them wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is fantastic!, 6 Jan 2002
By A Customer
Since buying this book in May 2001, my life has really changed for the better. I am now much more conscious of how my body works and what I can do to rid myself of the worst thing in my life - Psoriasis.
I am sure you have been where I have, your doctor gives you some cream and you get excited at the prospect of clearing your skin, only to discover a few months down the line that it has come back worse than before, and for all the money and time spent you always seem to have it somewhere?
Try this book, it is difficult and sometimes you will question where he gets his info from, but it DOES work, give it time and patience and in time not only will you be clear of psoriasis, you will be healthy and proud to show off your new body!

Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative
Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative by John O. A. Pagano DC (Paperback - 17 Oct 2008)
11.86