on 22 December 2006
I have been reading a lot about SEO on the Internet and thought I would buy a book to see if I was missing anything.

I dont normally like Dummies guides, the attempts at humor are often irrelevant and tedious, I prefer books that cut to the chase.

I was really impressed with this book, I knew a lot of the stuff already, but this book really helped consolidate what I knew, and taught me a lot more on top.

I found this book really helped me get into an "SEO Mindset" as it is so comprehensive. I now understand why I am doing things as opposed to just doing them, and have a much better overview of the subject.

I have the second edition from 2006 and was pleased to see more recently released google tools covered (which I was already using).

The author does plug a couple of paid services, but takes time to explain his motives and relationship with these companies and suggests free alternatives, thus maintaining his integrity.

I mentioned earlier that I am normally irritated by attempts at humor in Dummies books, however humor is used to make valid points in this book, as opposed to padding it out with rubbish.

The book is practical as opposed to technical and should be accessible to a broad readership.

The first few chapters cover all the "common knowledge" you can find easily with google (frames, flash, images vs text, links, keywords.....)

There is a very good chapter on content, stuff on advertising, available tools, a chapter on grey / black hat techniques and an explanation of the risks (of attempting to cheat search engines) and a lot more ........

This book is an absolute must for a beginner, and for the price well worth the money for the intermediate designer / customer.

If you are about to pay someone to build and SEO a site for you, you really want to read this, it will give you a good overview of what you are about to pay for, realistically what you can expect in terms of results, and have enough knowledge to see if the work has been done properly, or whether any work has been done at all!
on 4 March 2009
I have now read nearly every book out on SEO. This is by far the easiest to get through. The Chapers are well organised and the information is good. The one problem with the book is that it is American based, so all example and some points are not relevant to UK SEO.
on 21 September 2005
Very readable. Even the stuff you did know, you'll understand better after reading this book. The only down side - it is a little bit out of date (about a year and a half old at time or writing). Might be worth waiting for the next edition?
on 26 September 2006
The book is a breath of fresh air and thank God. Technical books can be quite boring but this one was different. It explains the exact do and dont's and how to's in plain English easy to read text, without too much of all the computer jargon and with a splash of humour.

Its perfect for the novice user to the professional person. Just excellent!
on 7 January 2006
I run around a dozen websites and felt I needed to do some background reading on this subject, rather than just assume I knew all there was to know - I learnt plenty and cemented a lot of assumed knowledge.
I have a couple of other Dummies guides but this is by far the best - for the first time I read a Dummies book cover to cover, and in just two sittings.
The simple stuff, like ideal page layouts, is covered quickly so as not to be boring and the complex stuff like the Google PageRank algorithm is covered at a user friendly depth.
This is a well judged, well rounded guide covering a broad subject at an accessible depth. Recommended.
on 27 June 2008
I've found the "Dummies" guides essential reading for all the various programmes I've used in creating websites for my 'Virtual Trilogy' and 'Captain Cockle' books and this one was no exception.

Beyond the easy-to-read style and the humorous cartoon illustrations the start each chapter there is a wealth of impressively detailed information on improving your Search Engine Optimisation. This ranges from an explanation of search engines and the way they work, to the simple choice of appropriate keywords and the more elaborate (and expensive) pay-per-click systems.

Don't be fooled by the name and the cartoon cover, this book is a seriously useful manual on the art and science of SEO. Essential reading for anyone interested in website development.
on 3 April 2006
Worth every penny of the price this book will guide you through the basics of search engine optimisation, and increasing the visibility of your web site to the search engines.
Full of common sense, it helped me to put my web site on the first page of google, Yahoo and MSN for masses of search terms and phrases, boosting my site visits massively. You can take what you learn here and apply it with some clever thought and planning to dominate and gain a competitive advantage over your competitors. You will learn for example, that you really only need to concern yourself with three or four of the search engines as many of the others derive records from the same sources.
Its coverage is fairly comprehensive, and is lacking only in coverage of new Google developments with Google Sitemaps.
on 27 March 2011
The successful "... for dummies" series of books is known the world over for the diversity of titles provided. Their recognisable covers provide reassurance and familiarity in a world of books that can seem a little daunting to the nervous.
"Search Engine Optimisation for Dummies" by Peter Kent is no exception to the rule.

Recently updated into a 4th edition for 2011, the book splits the task of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) up into 23 chapters of detailed information. This allows the reader to tweak their site so that the major internet search engines can find their sites, and hopefully push it up the page rankings.

From basic search techniques to how to submit your site to the search engines, this is a book that does not scrimp on the things that need to be done to make your SEO work effective. There is a lot of information contained within this book, and it can be difficult to keep track of the important notes, but Peter Kent has thought of this, by annotating the pages with symbols that identify important Tips, Warnings and things to Remember.

This is a book that similar to a text book, is designed to be used. The formatting will be familiar to anyone who has picked up a "...for Dummies" book before. This book does not disappoint.

Search Engine Optimisation is a bit of a black art, so anything that will assist a web designer in how to optimise their site for Google, Yahoo and Bing (other search engines are available) will help. This book does that in bucket-loads and will be a worthy edition to any bookshelf.
on 28 May 2009
Although I was sceptical about 'for dummies' books, I really enjoyed this guide into search engine optimization. The book is easy to read and offers clear guidance on what you can do to improve visibility of your website. As far as I am concerned everybody who is professionally involved in (online) marketing should have an understanding of how search engines work and how to benefit from them. This book is a good intro.
on 12 November 2011
I am surprised, how when I leave this book on my desk, how many people including clients say `I've read that and it's fantastic' or something similar. And it's true, it is a great book to quickly, easily get you up to speed with SEO. It has many hints, tips, recommendations and warnings and is also very readable.

Perfect for business owners or anyone else that needs to understand SEO to start getting real benefits. At the least, don't talk to an SEO company till you have read it, you will save a lot of money and time by being able to easily recognise which SEO experts can really add value to your campaign.

If you are thinking of starting an SEO business, don't, unless all this material is second nature to you and you have more value that can be added.

If you are a web designer, this should be a reference point to ensure you build SEO into the sites you design from day one or at least explain to clients what might be the impact of what they are asking for.