on 28 June 2005
This book is perfect if you are going to newyork for a shopping holiday (have it read before you go. It is easy to read, full of useful hints and tips, bargains, advice, reccomendations and maps. There are shops featured to suit every budget even suggestions for Window shopping
The only negatives it may be easier to understand if you have been to NY before and understand the geography. I am visiting for my first time and found the street names and areas a little confusing.
on 5 October 2008
I bought this book before my second trip to New York. I must admit I thought I knew most of the shops in NY before I read it but boy was I wrong! It is an invaluable guide for both first timers and experienced shoppers. The maps in it are among the best I have seen in any NY guidebook let alone one devoted exclusively to shopping! I would recommend that anyone going to NY buys this book, it is well worth it! I have also purchased the most up to date version and it is even better! Althought it was published in 2008 it is still very relevent and very few shops in it have changed addresses. If you want up to date listings I would combine this book with 2011/12 New York City Shopping (Zagat Survey: New York City Shopping) but Born to Shop will always be my first choice of shopping guide for New York.
on 27 November 2009
In my view, this is the original and still the best guide to shopping in NYC. I read one of the previous editions prior to my first trip to NYC in 1998 and found it invaluable. The previous reviewers are right; to get the best out of Suzy's advice, it is preferable to have read the book before you get to New York! This is what I did prior to my first trip and the advice enabled me to cover a lot of shops that I would otherwise have missed simply because I did not recognise the brand names or know what kind of merchandise a particular shop carried. If you are reading this book in preparation for your first trip to NY (lucky you - you will love it!!!), I would recommend either reading it alongside a full map of Manhattan or if that is not possible, take the time to study the maps that are included in the guide so that you have a rough idea of where you will be heading. I have since used this book on a more recent trip to NY and was reminded how superior the advice is compared to similar guides on the subject. The guide covers fashion shopping and is comparable to the Where to Wear series in that regard, but what makes this guide stand out is that so many other areas are covered: menswear, toys, homewares etc. Suzy's enthusiasm for shopping and her obvious delight at the sights and sounds of NY really come through in her writing, which simply makes you even more excited about your impending trip. Where to Wear New York 2006: Fashion Shopping Guide (Where to Wear: New York City Shopping Guide)
on 21 August 2009
I bought this for a friend who was going to NY for a few days with her husband. She said it was an excellent book but her husband wouldn't put it down and had her going here,there and everywhere seeking out the shops mentioned.
on 8 February 2014
I just went to New York in December 2013 and still found this guide very useful in particular for its background info for someone who hasn't been there before. Of course some of the shops have come and gone but that's going to happen with retail. Check at out particular shops you want to go to if you want to make sure before hedging out. A lot of the shops are still there. I wouldn't have known to go to the Ralph Lauren flagship store on Madison Ave without this book. It was wonderful seeing the showcase store for RL. Even though i couldn't afford anything. A well organized and informative guide book. I would not hesitate to reccommend.
on 20 June 2010
I used this book more any other on my recent trip to New York - loved the way it was divided both by area and also by what you were shopping for. Found it indispensable - there were so many excellent shops and brilliant bargains I would never have found if it wasn't for this book. I've already recommended it to everyone I know with plans to visit New York (well to all those who plan to shop there anyway!:D)
on 11 September 2010
i brought this book after some good reviews, alothough i have to say it was a little disappointing! im 30 and i felt this book was targeted at a much older age group than me and one with a considerable amount of money. the best shops and finds sold top end designer clothes where most of the sales assistants looked at us with complete distain!

great if your loaded!
on 25 October 2011
I'm an NY addict and it was great to refresh and get some new and fresh ideas on some of the cities gems, its all about the shopping this book gives and I defy anyone not to find it useful, it has some great advice plus it encourages you to try new neighbourhoods and boroughs.

A great purchase
on 22 April 2012
Bought this book after reading all the reviews.
This is a must for all dedicated will be NY bargain hunters.
I would of liked info about the best types of International delivery services.

Really good read.... Let the shoppppp begin.
on 20 January 2015
Fun but this will date as soon as it's put in the post