on 2 June 2009
I bought this after a glowing recommendation from one of my friends. This book has everything you need to become an expert using the command line. Let me start by saying that I am not an expert, indeed when I bought this book I was very much a novice. However the book takes you through tasks in a logical order and in a way that is interesting. The book goes through all the commands most of us will ever need. Whilst it is not one to take on holiday, or to sit beside the fire with a drink in your hand, it is by far and away the best command line book I have used.

The book even splits up the different areas of Linux eg comparing the differences between KDE, Gnome and Xfce. It is also a great quick reference book, with an extended A-Z and a brilliantly broken down contents section at the start.

Overall an excellent book that takes you in-depth to the command line world, not just skimming the surface. Not recommended for the casual user that just intends to type some documents and surf the net. However it is recommended for anybody that has a serious interest in learning the Linux command line, especially those who wish to become power users.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2008
It makes no difference if you are a command line expert or a complete novice who cringes every time the CLI gets mentioned, this book is so useful you will never have to create room for it in your bookcase.

I thought I knew quite a lot when it came to the CLI, this book made me realize that I know very little. Linux: Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible is a mine of information that is easy to understand and implement. It starts at complete novice level and explains everything you ever wanted to know about interacting with Linux through the CLI. It is a tutorial and reference library all in one, you can either work through the well laid out pages or just jump in and out of chapters as you like. This book really is a 'one-stop-shop' for all you ever need to know about shell scripting and using the CLI.
on 2 February 2009
Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting by Richard Blum is an exemplary work that covers all areas of the commands one is likely to face on a Console, Command Line or Terminal (text) interface. Having covered this area, the book goes on to show the reader of this book how to form and use Shell scripting to his or her best advantage on a computer, whether it is a Desktop, Laptop or Server. Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting is in my opinion, the best book to take the Novice, Intermediary or Advanced user of the computer to new heights of powerful usage of the command line using this book by Richard Blum.
on 3 January 2010
Just got it for Christmas and still reading it. So far i can say It does exactly what it says on the tin. 10 out of10. Easy to read and packed with real life examples.
on 10 April 2013
One of the best Linux books you can find, very good introduction and useful even if you are an advanced user
on 6 November 2010
It was present for my housbend, He like it very much and he was so happy when I gave it to him