5.0 out of 5 stars If you're new to DSLR photography, you must get this book!!
bought the Nikon D40 recently, my 1st ever SLR camera, after years of point and shoot compacts.
I knew absolutely nothing about SLR photography and after getting the camera out the box and going through the manual, still didn't really get what it all meant.
Published on 28 July 2009 by S. Betts

3.0 out of 5 stars Nikon book
I still think that I am a dummy and struggle to understand the book but Iam 75 year old and am used to film cameras and not digital
Published 3 months ago by Jim Ord

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're new to DSLR photography, you must get this book!!, 28 July 2009
S. Betts (Dereham, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
Bought this book and everything is explained so simply, going through each setting and process step by step, with photographic illustations. I was soon out taking great pictures and feel quite confident of knowing what to do for different situations, which I would never of been able to do without this book. Infact, I don't even use the Auto Modes anymore and I've only had the book a couple of weeks.
If you're new to SLR photography, get this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars simplified, 2 May 2009
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
ive got this book along with the other nikon d40 guide and i have found it really useful. i have got to understand some of the camera features really easily in just a few pages, i found out some functions i didnt even know existed. i generally dont like the "for dummies" book but i have found this book helpful, really simple to understand. i think anyone new to the d40 or struggling to get out of the auto modes will welcome this book as a way of progressing to manual control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just want is needed for your new camera, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
Good book to refer to with settings and adjustments. Useful examples guiding through your photographic experiences

5.0 out of 5 stars it is a must, 13 May 2009
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
The author did not forget anywhere in the book that she is addressing a beginner. Similarly, she concentrated her explanation on D40 and its sibling D40x. if I were in a key position in Nikon company I would take her advice in how to write an understandable manual. However, there are minor inaccuracies regarding the Exposure Meter in D40 where she mentioned that it does not appear in P (programmed mode). In fact, if the built-in-flash or the external flash is on, the meter does appear in all advanced modes, namely: programmed, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual. Even so, the book is fantastic and such inaccuracy could have been a result of the update which I have downloaded from Nikon website. I would advice any beginner who owns D40 orD40X to buy it. Simply, it is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a D40 you need this, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
With this book even my husband has learned to use his D40 camera and take great pictures! If you want to do more than use your DSLR camera in auto mode like a point-and-shoot this is for you. Everything about the camera is explained in simple layman's terms with lots of extra tips and information, and explanations when photos don't appear how you expected them to. It includes a pocket sized 'idiot card' to carry with you when you're out with your camera. The Nikon D40 is still a popular camera with many beginners to photography and this book is the perfect accompaniment to get them off to a good start.

5.0 out of 5 stars D40 for a Dummy, 14 May 2010
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is easy to follow and easy to read. It has helped me enormously and I wish I'd bought it before forking out on an evening class at the local college which taught me nothing. If this is anything to go by, all of the "Dummies" books will be helpful. Excellent value for money as well. If I upgrade my camera, I'll be upgrading my Dummies book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity, 20 Jan 2010
Derek Revy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
My wife purchased this book for me not because she classes me as a dummy but because she liked the look of the title . On reading this book it was very clear within the first few pages that this was going to be simpler to navigate and understand than the instruction book that came with my Nikon D40 .Well done to the author and I would certainly reccomend this book to anyone who has the D40 D40x and who wants clear and understandable instructions

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the packaged instruction book., 27 Jun 2009
I purchased a Nikon D40 some time ago and got along famously with
its automatic facility, but struggled with the instruction manual.
It is not at all clear about many of the manual functions. I called in
Jessops and the young female assistant demonstrated one facility for me.
I saw that Nikon D40/D40x for Dummies was for sale on Amazon and was
delighted with its presentation and easy to follow photographs and instructions. I don't consider myself a dummy by any means, but what's in a name?

5.0 out of 5 stars Dummies, 28 Jan 2013
Margaret Dickinson (Preston, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
This is exceedingly easy to follow and well written. Anyone with a Nikon D40X cannot fail to be impressed. The handbook I got with the camera was appallingly offputting and confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A far better read than the manual, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies (Paperback)
I was given a D40X as a hand me down and only had the downloaded manual which I found awkward to use because I like to have a book in my hands so that I came flick back and forth. This book talks to me in language I can understand with plenty of illustrations to back up explanations. I am doing a digital photography course and this book is an excellent back up and reference when there is something I do not understand. I particularly like how the author explains technical terms. I would certainly recommend it to other people.

Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies
Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Paperback - 28 Mar 2008)
16.29