5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Saver!
Published on 1 July 2009 by J. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Food Mood Solution
All good tips and knowledge, but you can become obsessed with this as a cure for anxiety and it isnt as easy as just changing your diet !!
Published 11 months ago by chadders

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Saver!, 1 July 2009
J. Martin - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Food Mood Solution: All Natural Ways to Banish Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Stress, Overeating, and Alcohol and Drug Problems and Feel Good Again (Paperback)
This is an amazing book that has helped relieve my anxiety and help me to concentrate far more at work. It is a great alternative to taking meds and atleast this method does not have negative side effects. The process is simple really, avoid sugar, eat more protein rich food and eat good carb sources with med/low GI. The book also explains in great detail about all worthy supplements for your specific moods as well as how each neurotransmitter works in the brain. Also included are some great recipe ideas. I cannot recommend this book enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle!!!, 8 Jan 2012
I am so impressed with the wealth of knowledge in this book, it's like someone has finally thrown me a life line. I instantly bought a copy for my best friend & would highly recommend it to anyone. I'm diagnosed with OCD, ADHD & Bipolar & I'm 44.

I've been taking most of the supplements & minerals suggested, plus cut out all caffeine & artificial sweeteners & generally been following the food guide & my OCD has virtually ceased. I was skin-picking so seriously it was making my life a misery. I was also becoming more & more stressed over ridiculous things & losing my temper to the point it was scaring me. I feel so much more chilled out & happier - I'm amazed, especially over Christmas when I normally become very depressed.

I actually feel that I have a better future now because of the insight this book has offered me. If you are ready to help yourself, try it - you've everything to gain & nothing to lose! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Diet=Good Mood, 7 April 2011
Mr. S. A. Blake (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
In the battle against Depression, there are numerous weapons at our disposal - anti-depressants and counselling being the two chiefs. However, what is often unspoken of is the relationship between what food and drink we consume and the ensuing moods which they foster. I had no idea my diet had such a huge impact on the way I felt.

The book includes lots of scientific explanations for which nutrients affect which personality traits and why, which is helpful as it reassures that this is hard science and not old-wives tales. The information was perhaps too in-depth for non-specialists like me, resulting in the book being longer than it had to be. This contributed to the awarding of four stars and not five.

The use of vitamin supplements is rarely put forward as a realistic option in defeating bad mood but the author describes how they can help you. For example, Omega 3 fish oils help against Depression - you can even predict countries' suicide rates based on the national fish consumption! There are natural anti-depressants which, thanks to the book, I plan to go on after my course of anti-depressants finishes. These include 5HTP and St John's Wort.

Types of food and drink to cut out from your diet are included - the protagonists being caffeine, alcohol and high-sugar processed food and drinks. Helpful replacements for these mood-damaging delights are suggested such as unsalted mixed nuts and sugar-free yoghurt. These may not sound appetising but once you experience the increase in mood, you'll never go back to the chocolate and cherish your new-found healthy snacks instead.

Good-mood food recipes are included which were short and simple. Advice on being more physically active was also most welcome.

A slight negative point about the book was that towards the end it drifts away from the main topic and becomes more like a self-help book. I would have preferred to have more information concerning food and mood, as this is why the book was purchased.

Overall this book offers an alternative method of treating Depression, Anxiety, Stress etc., by changing your diet from high caffeine, high sugar nasties which results in unstable, low moods, to one of high vitamin, nutritious foods which results in more stable, positive moods. This book has been excellent in explaining the relationship between food and mood and has helped in the battle against Depression. I hope it will help you too.

P.S cutting out caffeine and reducing my sugar intake has also worked wonders concerning my compulsive-skin-picking-disorder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Food Mood Solution, 30 July 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Not inspiring, 14 Jun 2013
I was really excited about buying this book, but was disappointed with the content. There doesn't seem to be much depth to it, and it keeps going off-track ie talking about things other than food. Wish I hadn't bought it really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 28 Feb 2013
I have read many books, this book is excellent.
I feel that the author is wise, everything said is relevant. I feel no one book has all the important info that an ordinary user needs, but this book had new information that i really appreciate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bought for me., 16 Feb 2013
Got this for my daughter after she'd seen it in her library, and read bits out to me.
Excellent book - excellent price.
We'll both be using it for reference and would recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 18 Feb 2012
From a first glance, I can see this book is going to be very useful and make an interesting read. I have had a flick through and so far, I like what I read. I am keen to help improve my mood since I have Borderline Personality Disorder, Bipolar, and Recurrent Depression but I am opting to no longer use medications to control my moods. I bought this as recommended by someone involved in my care since I wanted to try using the food and supplement root to help control my illness!

5.0 out of 5 stars helped, 9 Jun 2014
Helped to motivate me to change my lifestyle. Amazing in conjunction with other reads that compliment. Successful recovery life changing over the year