4.0 out of 5 stars good book
Published on 6 Nov 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars C++ Book By Ivor Horton
To be honest I do not like the paper and binding quality of this book. I have actually returned the first copy of this book I was sent. It's papers were coming off by the time it reached me. The one I have received as replacement is not that bad. But compared to other books of this size the binding quality is poorer.
Published on 9 Mar 2012 by Tagor

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 6 Nov 2009
This review is from: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008 (Paperback)
Not the best book for learning core C++ syntax from, I would recommend herbert schildt's "C++ a beginners guide" to be your first book if you know nothing about programming. However this book does cover a lot more including the use of visual studio 2008 which is an industry standard and so important to be familiar with. It also covers C++/CLI which is the new extension of C++ and it covers the STL, MFCs and winforms which are very relevant to windows programming.

I would recommend this book to anyone who already knows a bit about standard c++ syntax and needs to know about the use of visual studio 2008 and wanting to create windows applications. It is well written and the information is given clearly and concisely. I personally think that for a pure beginner this book may be too much to take in in one go, I skip all the C++/CLI material as it is not something I need yet and would probably only serve to confuse me at the moment, but its nice to know I have a reference book should I need to use it in the future.

A good book for revising core c++ material and learning the use of visual studio, MFC's and winforms (and C++/CLI if you want it).

4.0 out of 5 stars C++ showing its age, 12 May 2008
Rennie Petersen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008 (Paperback)
Just read an interview with Bjarne Stroustrup, the inventor of C++, where he studiously avoided talking about C# as much as possible. Understandable, perhaps - in my opinion most (not all, but most) programming projects for Windows systems would benefit greatly from using C# instead of C++.

Not that the above observation has anything to do with "Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008"; I just felt the urge to pass along that opinion in case the reader of this review has not yet decided whether to start learning C++ or C#.

For those who are interested in learning C++ for use with Windows, I can recommend this book. It is well written and covers everything you need to know to get started. In fact, at 1356 pages (not 1392, as currently listed at Amazon) it covers much more than most people need to know.

In Visual Studio 2005, and continuing in Visual Studio 2008, Microsoft introduced a new dialect of C++ called C++/CLI. The great advantage of C++/CLI is that it allows you to integrate "managed" programming (programs that run on the .Net Framework) and "unmanaged" or "native" programming. This is a unique ability of C++/CLI, and for this kind of programs C++/CLI can run circles around C#.

Ivor Horton's book provides a good introduction to C++/CLI, with most chapters being divided into two parts; the first part about classical (ANSI/ISO) C++ and the second part about C++/CLI. However, as a beginner's book, it does not get into the really exciting managed/unmanaged "interop" parts of C++/CLI. For that you will need a more advanced book, for example "Expert Visual C++/CLI: .NET for Visual C++ Programmers" by Marcus Heege - and some experience in creating both managed and unmanaged programs.

On the other hand, if C++/CLI is of no interest to you, then you can easily ignore those parts of the book.

Turning to more general comments, this book is well written and does a good job of describing all of the (sometimes messy) details about C++. There are many programming examples, all meticulously explained. The source code for the examples is available on the publisher's web site. There is even an online service - at one point I mistakenly thought I'd found a bug in one of the examples and I reported it as errata. In response I received a kind message from Mr. Horton himself telling me why I was wrong.

I liked the occasionally humorous tone of the book too, and was especially intrigued by Mr. Horton's reference to a book called "Paneless Programming" from 1981.

There are no major negative aspects, but I did find the fairly large number of typos somewhat irritating. Another surprising experience was that the index, although huge at 38 pages, was missing obvious entries such as "enum" and "typedef". Occasionally material was presented in a slightly illogical way, being (prematurely?) mentioned briefly in one chapter and then finally described properly in a later chapter.

You should also be aware that in order to do the MFC parts of the book you need to have access to one of the non-free versions of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.

This is a very good introductory book about C++ and C++/CLI for Visual Studio 2008.

Rennie Petersen

4.0 out of 5 stars Visual C++ program edition warning, 15 Nov 2008
This review is from: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008 (Paperback)
This is a heafty volume and at first glance this may be a bit of an uphill struggle for the complete novice, but the examples are well structured and detailed and I am sure in time I will get something from them. However, it does state in the introduction that using Visual C++ 2008 Express edition is "unsuitable" to get the full benifit out of the book as it relies heavily on the current 2008 commercial edition and not the free download, my mistake, I should've read the other review down to the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginning C++, 1 Mar 2010
N. Scully (Lincoln, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008 (Paperback)
If you are looking for an introduction to programming windows applications using MFC and .Net in C++,
then this book is a good choice.
Well written, with an easy colloquial style, it covers enough to get you programming windows
applications at an intermediate level. What you also get is one of the best C++ language tutorials I've
come across, with detailed examples that explain many of the more obscure features of the language.
Don't expect it to be easy, and don't miss out the C++ tutorial, because it's vital if you want to
understand how MFC works. You do need visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition as a minimum if you
want to try all the examples.
Note that there's a bug in the installer for 2008, that causes problems when you only install the C++
language, so just install C# and VB as well and it all works fine.
Definitely worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars C++ Book By Ivor Horton, 9 Mar 2012

Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008
Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2008 by Ivor Horton (Paperback - 11 April 2008)
Used & New from: £16.25