Format: Paperback|Change

I know that the "Dummies" range can be looked down on a bit by real techies but let me put you straight.

Whilst this might not cover every topic in the utmost detail it you knew all the content of this one book you'd be an excellent SQL Server admin/developer.

Most SQL Server books already assume a level of knowledge and competence that can put newbies at a disadvantage. This book, on the other hand, takes you by the hand and tells you what you NEED to know to get on, not the trivia with which to impress you SQL Server DBA buddies.

I'm impressed, and as an experienced Server Administrator (not SQL Server though) I thought it dealt with the entire topic in a logical fashion at a good pace.

I'm still reading bits and pieces (it would be impossible and not necessary to try and do it all at once) and it still makes me think "Ah! So THAT'S why this works that way".

I bought this and passed it round the team - everyone agreed it was well laid out and covered each topic to a level that was just right without trying to impress the reader.

Don't be a techie snob, buy this book and learn what you need to become a competent SQL Server admin.
on 23 July 2009
I bought this book as I'm trying to learn a lot about SQL at th emoment.
I found it very easy to use and it covers all areas from installing SQL, doing simple queries, managing, backing up and maintaining the database.

This book is a very general overview. I would recommend it if you want to learn about all aspects of SQL server but if say you wanted to just learn about one part, you should probably buy a detailed book just covering that topic. All areas are covered but he doesn't delve too deeply into each topic which is perfect for a general knowledge of the whole area
on 8 August 2011
This review is for the Kindle version. I'd advise viewing this only on a Kindle or even better just buy the hardcopy. First thing I found immediately annoying is the formatting of tables. They're all out and haven't transferred well to Kindle, at least for the PC, very well. On the Kindle the formatting is ok but the right hand side has to be viewed in Landscape format else the far right column is chopped in half. That always annoys me about Kindle as PDFs never have this problem.
on 28 April 2014
It has all you need to have your first touch with Microsoft SQL Server. Very sufficient and comprehensive content and stucture
on 15 July 2013
It is not a book for beginners as it skips important steps and doesnt fully explain procedures. Chapter 6 & 7 needs to be completely rewritten and made more practical as it failed to explain how to feed data into columns and how to call the Transact-SQL procedures. Its just a nightmare. Kindly learn from "Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2012 in 24 hours". reviewed: I later figured out how to get around it
on 31 December 2014
I'm not a total dummy but found this book a godsend for a project that needed more than MS Access. Well laid out, easy to access piecemeal and find just what you need.
on 19 June 2013
This is a must for anyone who dose not have much experience of SQL. It is informative in a no nonsence way no gobledy gook just plain speaking.
on 4 May 2013
Very prompt delivery of this product. This product was exactly what it was stated to be. Excellent. I highly recommend the service provided.
on 5 March 2013
Great ... does what i says on the tin well worth the money I recommended it to anyone starting out on the MS SQL SERVER route
on 5 August 2014
Used a lot of their book and like all of them brilliant with a lot of hints and fact to help you out.