4.0 out of 5 stars A Journey of Discovery
A really good way to learn about how musical pieces are constructed is to try and write a piece yourself. If like me you're less than fully accomplished at this, you probably need all the help you can get and if like me you've never done this before the task seems daunting, but only because it is.

This book explores the whole process from the basic motif and...
Published on 23 Dec 2008 by Graham Mccarthy

1.0 out of 5 stars Howlers
This book is full of howlers: ghanaian drumming from bali, famous violinist alban berg, famous pianist bach, perhaps best of all is its analysis of sonata form in which the first movement of beethoven's moonlight sonata is the exposition and the second movement is the development. How do I get my money back?
Published 14 months ago by macrobbair

4.0 out of 5 stars A Journey of Discovery, 23 Dec 2008
Graham Mccarthy "gmccarthy15" (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)

This book explores the whole process from the basic motif and melodic phrase, how to join them up, vary them and set them in the right scale, mode and mood and then to develop them. It then proceeds to flesh out the process still further delving into the harmony and structure of your piece and finally on to arrangements and musical forms. Music Composition for Dummies attempts to take you on a journey from the embryonic idea you have into a more traditionally constructed and well formed piece of music. Of course, it will require no mean effort on your part, but the sense of achievement when you play your own piece is wonderful.

There are several examples of each stage of writing, but I would have liked to have seen more and would like to have seen at least one idea taken from basic motif through to completed piece. So it's not perfect and is probably not of much benefit if you are already an accomplished musician/writer. But if like me you're still learning, would like to set your knowledge of music theory in context, or fancy performing your own pieces, then Music Composition for Dummies is a great start.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Really Helps in alot of Ways, 12 Oct 2009
Tom Parham "Tom" (Edinburgh,Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)
I purchased this book as composing my music was always something I have wanted to do. This book helps me forfill this. It teaches the complete amateur like me how to compose. I have now composed about 30 pieces thanks to this book.I also purchased it when I was doing my O-Level Music and felt it was also a good revision book. It has also came in handy when doing A Level Music aswell. It may be expensive but it is certanly worth it !

4.0 out of 5 stars Dummy or not...., 26 Mar 2010
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)
An easy read, although it does require some basic knowledge of music theory. Nonetheless it is a very useful guide, which makes an ideal quick reference for key concepts in musical composition. All of the subjects are treated at a pretty superficial level, although sufficient for someone looking for useful clues as to how to go about elaborating a full composition on the basis of a musical idea. Full of useful tips and helpful advice. It is well written and not overly technical: you can actually read through the whole thing in an afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars gives you a good start, 8 Sep 2009
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)
this book is easy to read, and gives you all the basic information you would like to learn when you are new to music composition.
Perfect for starting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 8 Jun 2013
Mr. N. Hammond (Milton Keynes, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)
I am not normally a fan of the Dummies series as they can often be rather heavy going despite the title of the series. However, I really like this one. It is packed with helpful explanations and plenty of humour. I am giving it four stars instead of five as it does not come with an audio cd unlike some other musical dummies books. I think audio would help to illustrate some of the examples used. I should point out that I am an accomplished musician so it was easy for me to hear in my head the sheet music examples. This book may be harder work for non-musicians or musicians who do not read music. However, for any musicians who can read music that want to know more about composition, I would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Novice Composer / Arranger says..., 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)
I found 'Music Composition For Dummies' surprisingly good. I don't like the lay out of the 'For Dummies' books, but I perservered. My grasp of music theory has holes in it, and reading music is quite poor, so there are parts fot he book I'm going to have to go back and work through. But what I think is the really important part of this book is that it encourages you to THINK and to LISTEN like a composer. In the short time since my first reading of this book I've sarted to listen to music in a different way, but also to every day sounds. I can see now how they can be the inspiration for subsequent muscial work, whther they be 'Classical' or other types of music. - There are other books on composition and arranging that I am waiting to read, but I think this is a good one to start with if you're a novice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music composition, 14 May 2013
J. Chow (Sleaford,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A good resource for composition skills. Well produced and useful to have on the Kindle as well as in book form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for overview on music composition, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)
It's good for an overall overview on the aspects of music composition. But what you probably need are lot's of exercises, theoretical and practical. Listen to as many styles as you can, and analyse them. Then the book will help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, 3 Aug 2013
Ms. C. Morgan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)
This is a very handy go to book for someone who is an intermediate level musician or someone who is relatively new to writing their own music. It is well laid out and very well written in clear and easy to understand terms but never patronising.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great start, 15 April 2013
D. J. P. Elliott (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Composition For Dummies All Inst (Paperback)
Quite a task to write such a book - but I think very well done.
I found the style makes it easy to read but there is a lot of substance to it.
I am starting to develop various compositions and was looking for something to give general guidance on things that I should be considering and options/directions to go in .
For me at my stage of development it is just right.

Music Composition For Dummies All Inst
Music Composition For Dummies All Inst by Holly Day (Paperback - 26 Feb 2008)