4.0 out of 5 stars For Dummies!
Published on 10 Sept. 2010 by anon

3.0 out of 5 stars Dummy or no Dummy
I wouldn't say the first few chapters were boring, but they were informative, but just not relevant for my career, but its no bad thing to have some of the background to SOX because it cements in your mind why this particular legislation was passed by the US which infact has global implications.

I was more interested from the IT techie standpoint, and Chapters...
Published on 18 Mar. 2009 by M. Michael

3.0 out of 5 stars Dummy or no Dummy, 18 Mar. 2009
M. Michael "mollym" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarbanes-Oxley For Dummies (Paperback)

I was more interested from the IT techie standpoint, and Chapters 12 to 17 I felt were most relevant for me. It does explain in non-accountancy terms, in non-lawyer terms all you will need to know about SOX and how to move forward with it in your organisation.

Maybe too much emphasis was put on the history of it, I usually only see a small chapter on how a framework is introduced, but the author seems to be more of a lawyer than a techie.

You'll also notice inside this book and when you tear SOX apart that there is no wrong or right way to go about interpreting SOX's different sections for real-life, especially for IS/IT, there is the COSO framework that the SEC refers to, but no real 'meat on the bones' to get you started. It will come no doubt, especially in light of other financial scandals that have been highlighted in 2008/09.

Buy the book if you are involved in SOX, its easy reading for the minions you will pass the book onto or teach, and its easy reading for the top management people. If you need the 'meat on the bones' suggest you look at the hundreds of legislation papers that came out of the Senate.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Dummies!, 10 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Sarbanes-Oxley For Dummies (Paperback)
The book covers everything you need to know about Sarbanes Oxley, but to be honest I felt it could have been at least half the length. As an accountant I found SOX didn't build much on existing UK GAAP, audit and corporate governance. You could probably summarise the main points, differences and regulatory framework in 20 pages. There also seems to be a lot of repetition and common sense advise - I'd assume most people needing to understand SOX are already fairly well qualified professionals and just need the technical bare bones of the act in a concise format.

None the less it does indeed take some of the pain out of reading the act in it's "raw" format and it doesn't take too long to skim read through. The repetition does also serve to reinforce the key terms and concepts in your mind. I'd also say this makes it more appropriate for those who don't come from an accounting background and are maybe coming up against some of these requirements for the first time.

At the end of the day it does the job it sets out to and isn't as dry as a lot of texts. As an accountant I probably would have gone for something a bit more concise and to the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and an excellent resource, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Sarbanes-Oxley For Dummies (Paperback)
I don't usually read the 'Dummies' series, as I expect them to be too simplistic.

I purchased this book as requested by my Company - and it's brilliant! I already knew the background to the subject, but the way this is cleverly written; really informs the readers' understanding of why we do what we do with regards to SOx.

Extremely informative at more depth than I would ever imagine!

(Also a BARGAIN, at the price!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A purchase for the business library, 8 July 2010
Leon Crawley (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sarbanes-Oxley For Dummies (Paperback)
I purchased this for my wife who within her job takes on many varied roles with her being a contract business analyst, a current project required a very fast introduction to the Sarbanes-Oxley system etc. She is a through / fast reader and seems to have taken on this book in enough detail to quickly become knowledgeable enough in the subject to be able to sensibly input and understand discussion on the subject. She has not commented against the book in any way, and I am assuming no news means it was good, she is not slow in discussing failings, constructively, should things not be up to the task.

Why this book when there are so many? The Dummies books in the past do deliver semi instant knowledge, and although they are not always the best in a given subject, when you want a book fast without being able to flick through the pages, they normally come up with the goods.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 14 Jan. 2015
Ms Butler (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
ok

Sarbanes-Oxley For Dummies
Sarbanes-Oxley For Dummies by Jill Gilbert Welytok (Paperback - 22 Feb. 2008)