4.0 out of 5 stars Great book
Published on 1 Dec 2010 by Brian

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Grammar and punctuation according to the yanks, so did find myself having to correct the book on almost every page- which did detract somewhat from learning. Examples section was good though and generally things were well explained.
Published on 5 Sep 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-world Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes (Paperback)
I really like this book. It answers most of my questions and is easy to use. Lots of examples help illustrate the key points. It is not comprehensive and I still have a few queries that I cannot address but all-in-all I think this is well worth the money. I am an academic and am using it whilst writing a text book. I also have suffered form being of an age when grammar was not in vogue when I underwent secondary school education so I need a bit of help to remember the core grammar I was taught at primary school and this book more than does that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grammar 'Light' but a great little book, 19 Jun 2013
After I purchased GO SUB YOURSELF! 55 Subs to Make Your NOVEL Stand Out From the Competition (A Creative Fiction Writing English-Grammar Guide) a book I highly recommend, I realized my grammar needed urgent attention.

The above guide was a great introduction on how to use grammar rules (and ignore them) when writing modern fiction - essential in fact - but I realised that I was like a driver who has no idea how the engine of her car works. Sure I can drive the thing, but just what is going on under the hood? And I'd have no chance with a stick shift!

So on to The Blue Book of Grammar & Punctuation. I'll be honest, I've looked at a few grammar books (I was in a bit of a panic) and this was the lightest of them. It covered some of the same areas I'd read before - Homophones and `Who vs. Whom', but where it scored big points was in the many pages of useful quizzes. They certainly helped me get to grips with this sometimes perplexing world.

WHAT I LIKED:

- Very useful resource for `English as a Second Language' students.
- A reasonably comprehensive guide with lots of little known grammar rules.
- Technically precise.
- Easy to use despite being poorly organised.
- The quiz section!

WHAT I WASN'T TOO KEEN ON:

- Expensive compared to other guides out there.
- Disorganized. Seemed knitted together in an arbitrary fashion.
- Only 75 pages (but with an extra 80 pages of quizzes!).
- The examples are not always clear - I've found better samples on the Internet.
- No index?
- Using Emails (social media) as an example of bad grammar was off-kilter. Emails are like letters, they can be formal and informal.

The book isn't particularly relevant to modern novel writing or colloquial ways of speaking - with is where I'm coming at this from - unlike the many teachers who find this a useful student resource. Nevertheless, it is not stodgy and an easy read for a bit of a lamebrain like myself to get her head around, so I'm giving `The Blue Book of Grammar & Punctuation' four stars, simply because it is a grammar guide suitable for beginners and because of its extensive quiz section. If the cover price was a little cheaper, I would have given it five stars.

I would recommend it to anyone starting their journey through the complicated world of grammar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 19 Mar 2012
Excellent book, the exercises are clear and well written. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Check first, though, that it does contain the grammer exercises you want, it's fairly basic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 July 2014
This is a good book

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 3 Feb 2014
Best of all, easy direction to the answer page. Reasonably good explanation and examples. Quizzes that reinforce the punctuation tuition. Easy to follow index, which means the reader can go directly to the section required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelleny, 29 Dec 2013
This is brilliant to find everything out about grammar, it is very good.
Quizes and ideas abound, it is a very good teaching resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful resource, 17 Dec 2013
This book is not only useful for exercises for students, but also for revision for teachers. Easy to access material.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-have revision book..., 1 May 2013
G. CLAPTON "wildcat1369" (England) - See all my reviews
This is the perfect book for learning, revising and refreshing most aspects of your English grammar. As a student, returning to the subject, I found this book irreplaceable for referencing points I needed to learn or re-learn. It is easily laid-out, easy-to-read and thus to understand. There are plenty of questions and quizzes for you to practice on. It is a 'must-have' for any student, tutor or anyone just wishing to refresh or extend their grammar knowledge.

My only quibble, and it is a small one, is for some reason, it is another 'American/English' grammar book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 5 Sep 2011