Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 September 2011
I have found that my reading and written German are on power with most ex pats but my spoken German lets me down through lack of confidence. It is very easy to pronounce a word incorrectly in German and end up offending someone. Normally they will laugh it off as a mistake but one day it was going to back fire.

This book will give you the basics and allows you hear how the words should sound and then gives you the break to repeat the word or phrase. Good for any novice to the language
on 26 April 2012
just to get about moving around and surving in a German speaking country, its pretty good.

The CD def. helps and the text reference and translation to English is quite good for any one to start speaking some basics.
on 31 March 2013
Yeah as I am going to be working in a German speaking nation soonish , I wanted to brush up on German with less expense compared to taking classes and rosetta stone software . This is great as it has a great book with translations and has the audio which has the German words with English translation .Fantastic .Next buy will be Spanish and Arabic and Chinese. I will get the next level up for German .
on 7 July 2013
Have to say not impressed, it is ok if you just want to learn some very basic stuff, after 30 minutes of listening to the cd was enough to drive me mad, it was not consistent or logical, there is better methods of learning the language,
on 14 March 2014
I bought this as a gift for my fiancee. I am from Germany and he would like to learn some basics.
When we first listed to the CD I thought it is not suitable for beginners. Far too difficult, sentence are too long and too fast...
I guess it would be fine for someone who would like to refresh his german skills.
on 26 April 2013
easy to follow directions and the lessons are not to difficult perfect to load on your ipod and follow and repeat each lesion as required
on 8 September 2015
For the price I paid for it (two pounds something) this has been just an OK investment. Much of the audio time is merely composed of the recital of lists of words. Useful of course, but one can't help feeling they missed an opportunity to add many more useful phrases for travellers and businessmen.

Also, there is little attempt to assist with grammar and word order.

The audio recordings are high quality and the pronunication practice is useful. I made a list of some expressions from the audio which might prove useful to me, but otherwise this product has little practical benefit for me personally.

3 stars.
on 11 June 2013
For a someone with a complete lack of knowledge with the German language found these cd's & book very helpful.
Though will never be fluent, was a good starting point
on 8 October 2013
Don't expect to be speaking fluent German after buying this item, but it gives you the basics to get by.
on 23 February 2013
Have this on in my car for journeys to and from work. As it is difficult anyway to repeat words and phrases without the phonetically spelling in front of me, it isn't perhaps the most effective way of learning quickly and accurately. Perhaps ok for those who supplement this listening and aural tool with reading and writing as I consider all of the above equally important when learning a language and wanting to take it seriously without sounding daft, especially in front of native speakers of the language. Overall, ok but prefer classroom and textbook teaching to accompany.