4.0 out of 5 stars Very good log for tracking your progress
Published on 23 Aug 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good value for money!
The first problem I had with the Runner's World Training diary is that it is shoddily made. The cover is very thin card: this, coupled with the spiral binding, makes for a book that is going to fall apart quite soon. Spiral binding is useful, but it needs a tougher cover.

Published on 27 Nov 2008 by Moon in a puddle

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good log for tracking your progress, 23 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This is a non-dated (it has no months or dates) spiral-bound notebook with enough space for recording 1 year's worth of entries for tracking your runs. All runners should keep a log of their runs and record such things as weather, distance, pace, day, clothing, route, and general comments with a weekly summary. This book allows you to do that, and also provides you with inspirational phrases and quotes and tips for improving your run and avoiding injuries. Because it's spiral-bound, you can lay it flat on a desk and write with one hand while the other hand holds a banana or sports drink. I've only see one other log that's as good as this one - John Cronin's log book which contains more photos, which aid in positive imaging for those who know sports psychology.
This is my first log and I've been running consistently for 9 months, but only started keeping a log last month. Already I can look back at last month's times and routes and see an improvement. If I didn't have a log, I'd never have picked up on some of the smaller details of my old runs.

4.0 out of 5 stars back to basics, 29 Sep 2007
S. Young - See all my reviews
This diary or running log is the sort of "tool" which we have lately lost thanks to such things as computer logs etc. The diary/log is packed with information and enough space to record everthing about your running, training and races. No need to switch on a computer and waste precious time looking at a screen, you can read and re-read what you've done and how you've run while eating your after run snack instead of finding yourself needlessly checking e mails and the like. The sitting down and writing up is almost a cool down in itself with the chance to be as poetic or creative as you want to be; it becomes a journal to hold, to keep and to mull over as the days and years go by; comparing it to computer logs is like comparing running on a treadmill and running outside in the elements, with the sun shining or the rain cooling.. this diary keeps you in touch with the runner you become.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good value for money!, 27 Nov 2008
This review is from: Runner's World: Training Diary (Paperback)

The second problem is that all the information in the back is taken from books written in the seventies. Yes, I know that the essentials don't really change, but given the vast amounts of research that has happened over the last 30 years, I expected something a little more up-to-date! I do not expect to be told that I should only attempt a half marathon race if I'm running 35 miles a week, or (on another page) 40 mins a day - crazy! I've just run a half marathon on a lot less than that, and got my training schedule from the Runner's World website.

The stretching section lists a few stretches and exercises for injury prevention. Like the rest of the book, it's a bit shonky, with grainy black and white photos of some bloke in 70s nylon slacks doing the stretches. Some of the stretches and exercises are not in line with current advice on preventing back strain.

The dateless format is obviously a good thing as you can start it whenever you like.

It's just really poor value for money. You could easily print off the diary format on the computer or just write it in a more durable notebook. If it's advice you want, stick to using the Runner's World website and magazine. I'm disappointed because I expected something better from Runner's World.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Oct 2008
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Runner's World: Training Diary (Paperback)
I am newish to running and although I enjoy it, I have issues with migranes etc. By keeping this training log, I am hoping to see an improvement in my condition and maybe find triggers which I can eventually avoid.

I like this diary because its simple and you can be as complex or as simple as you like (I prefer the latter).

This is a good buy for any runner at any level and I have recommended it on my WW site.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Jun 2010
Ms. Z. E. Horsefield (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runner's World: Training Diary (Paperback)
Despite the digital world that we are in, I still like to have things written down, in a book infront of me. So I chose this training diary to record my runs in. Each week is laid out over two pages with space to record pace, distance, weekly distance and weather. The diary also contains lots of charts and boxes for you to fill in about all sorts of things. Being relatively new to running, most of these are irrelevent to me but at some point I might use them.

My biggest let down with this diary is the cover. Its a very flimsy cardboard that wraps around the book. Not sure how long it will last.

The diary was cheap, I use it everytime I run to record everything, I can easily look back and see how I am progressing, so in all its worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Running kit, 17 Feb 2010
Graham B. Irvine "Scifi head" (Shetland, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runner's World: Training Diary (Paperback)
This is the second most useful piece of running kit after my shoes, it really keeps me motivated and able to remember how far I have progressed from being a couch potato.

5.0 out of 5 stars Runners world, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: Runner's World: Training Diary (Paperback)
great diary for recording all your runs etc. Good accumulative charts to see you monthly distance etc at a glance

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what he wanted, 30 Jan 2014
Ms. Asha Kaur - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runner's World: Training Diary (Paperback)
My hubby loves running and needed to record his runs, this gives him that and he says it has some great nuggets of information in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy book to have, 27 May 2013
Mr. L. M. Brown "Brownlm" (England Great Britan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runner's World: Training Diary (Paperback)
I have been using this book since i received it and i am finding it handy to moniter my courses and times.
The best thing about it is that there are no dates so you can start using it any time of the year and use it for a year from that date.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 18 Feb 2013
can create your own and with Garmin help can probably do a better job. copy was well worn and did not feel it was VFM.

Runner's World: Training Diary
Runner's World: Training Diary by Runner's World (Paperback - 15 Feb 2008)