5.0 out of 5 stars Build Your Own Web Page Easily
I am very impressed with this book. There are many books out there to help you build a web page, but get this one - it's ideal.

Published on 14 Aug 2008 by SharonUK

3.0 out of 5 stars Much preferred the Sitepoint book as a tutorial
Published on 18 Dec 2009 by A reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Build Your Own Web Page Easily, 14 Aug 2008
This review is from: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: in C# and VB (Programmer to Programmer) (Paperback)

The book is definitely designed for the beginner (like me) and the book is set out for you to work through as a course. It's easy to read, and contains regular practical exercises for you to follow in which you'll build an actual web site. The exercises are the key to it's success. It covers a topic, then gives you an exercise to demonstrate that topic, then does a quick review to reinforce the information.

It even gives you the information you need to get the right software to develop your web site (in this case Microsoft Visual Web Developer express edition - which is free to download) and shows you how to use that software. It does touch upon using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (which I'm using) but predominantly concentrates on Microsoft Visual Web Developer. On saying that, they are pretty much the same for the purposes of the exercises, so that isn't a problem.

The book covers things like CSS (which is used to style your web sites) and gives all code examples in both VB.net and C#.

Being a programmer already, I found the book a little simple in places, which is probably a good thing, because it means that non-programmers could pick this book up and use it. I just skip over the bits that are obvious to me.

I am really pleased I bought this. I needed to upgrade my skills to web development and this book is definitely helping me to do that. It's an absolute must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a newcomer to ASP.NET, 2 Sep 2008
Music lover (Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I made a decision about three months ago that I would use ASP.NET to create a new database-driven website. I immediately bought a couple of heavyweight reference books that came well recommended. However, as soon as I opened their covers I realised that my previous background as an Access VBA programmer was insufficient to let me leapfrog the early stages of the fairly steep ASP.NET learning curve.

A book called Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 seemed like an obvious choice to fill that gap. Luckily, it does that job very well. Unlike the two reference books I got initially, this is one that is worth reading from cover to cover. Imar Spaanjaars covers a very wide range of topics in the demo application that is the core of the book, without delving into them any deeper than is appropriate for the target audience (at various points, he suggests further reading if you want to investigate specific topics more thoroughly).

This book has proved invaluable in kick-starting my first ASP.NET development, which is now about halfway to completion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to ASP.NET 3.5, 28 May 2008
Mrs. Annette Lagan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I've been using ASP.NET 2.0 for a few years now and wanted to find out about the new features in vers. 3.5, especially LINQ, Microsoft's new query language. Imar explains in plain English how to create a sample clean, efficient website from scratch using the best of ASP.NET 3.5's features. I've been using VB for years and am gradually switching over to C#. I found the sample code (in VB and C#) throughout the book is also a great way of learning C#. All sample code can be downloaded from Wrox's website.

The book is a great introduction to so much more than ASP.NET 3.5. Imar also introduces the reader to: Visual Web Developer Express 2008, SQL Server 2005 Express, HTML, CSS, Databases and programming (VB and C#). To summarise, £20 well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best there is! (Role model for all self learning books)., 12 Nov 2009
Robert Lees - See all my reviews
Usually takes me a while to get into a book and start reading but this book got me straight into it only had it a few days but I'm already well into it. I've already made a few websites and programmed in four different programming languages so from my perspective it is very easy to follow. If you have never programmed or never built website before even in a design view this book is very easy to follow starts you off slowly and then builds up on chapters literally step by step. This book even tells you what to click on with screen shots in case you get stuck. I've used Visual Basic.net & C# so I could skip a few chapters. This book doesn't only teach you ASP.net but it also teaches you HTML, CSS, Visual Basic.net and C# as well with code comparisons between VB.net & C# so is very easy to pick up. If I was trying to find a fault with this book, honestly there isn't one that's why there are no review below 5 stars, Great book! Recommended for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imar holds your hand, 17 Oct 2009
Edgardo Agno (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent beginner's book in web development. Absolutely exceptional. It's a cookbook that has fine attention to detail. I would say Imar holds your hands in all the steps of this recipe book. As cheesy as it may sound, it's like fine dining experience where Imar is a masterchef and I am hungry for more!

He anticipated the problems you will run into so he has written the "Try it out" excercises like a compiler that has a comprehensive list of if then else statements and error handling. Having said that, you may think that it's a boring style. It's not at all. The cohesiveness of the chapters are well thought of and is well paced. The coverage of each key technologies are ample enough to get your site running and detailed enough for you to want to read more. I'm very happy to have read this book.

My only criticism is the chapter on LINQ is a bit too short. It does not even cover update, insert or delete operations of data. I guess it's an advanced topic? The book does not cover ADO.NET nor Entity Framework either. I suppose it's a sign I am getting more advanced. But in retrospect, these topics are out of scope, since he only needs to explain one data provider.

There is another excellent book by Christian Darie called "Build Your Own ASP.NET 3.5 Website Using C# & VB" ISBN-10: 0980455219. Looking at the table of contents, they are nearly actually identical. However, although I have read Christian Darie first, I thought to myself since I am a beginner in ASP.NET, I could do with more excercises just to make me more confident in the technology. Also there is such a big rave about Imar's book in the review forums that I have to read it too. No regrets reading these books. It took me roughly 3 weeks to read each. I know I'm a slow reader, but I take my time internalising what I've learnt and follow all the excercises to the letter. Now I am hosting my own little website based on these two books and I am at a stage that I have enough confidence in the technology I want to learn about ASP.NET MVC and Entity Frameworks. Joy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, 16 Mar 2009
Paul Saxelby (East Sussex - England) - See all my reviews
I have many years of experience in programming, predominantly C++, and wanted to get a lead into ASP.
Having looked into a few books and their reviews I went for this title and am glad that I did so.

The book is very well written with clear and instructive information.
It follows the development of a minimalistic, but useable ASP website which deals with a wide range of issues surrounding the process.
Each step follows logically on from the last as your understanding of the subject is built along with the site.
Where a foundation needs to be built for a given concept, a basic illustrative solution for an area of the site is developed for core understanding, and later in the book when the appropriate skill level has been developed the area may be revisited to develop a more elegant solution to the same or similar problem.

Due to my background I followed the C# notes, and although it was my first time with the language it presented no problems at all.
What helped in this area is that having lead you through an exercise step by step, the author then runs through the same set of steps from an explanatory perspective rather than the previous instructive one.

There were only a couple of times where I thought that the code used in the examples could have done with a bit more explaining, but this was easily overcome with a little research.
I only came across one 'error' in the code that wasn't mentioned in Wrox's erata for the book. All I would say is that if code you know to be correct according to the book isn't working, check Wrox's list & you'll probably find the answer.

I have spent some time working with VB in the past and also had no problem understanding the VB examples although I didn't use them.

I really would recommend this book to anybody with a programming background who wants to find out whether ASP is for them & their project.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much preferred the Sitepoint book as a tutorial, 18 Dec 2009
I tried ploughing through this book as a tutorial but found it to be hard work so I gave up after the first hundred pages or so. It seemed like hard work for a 'Beginning' book and although it is a thick book I think the information it covers is fairly basic with lots of mentions of how you should buy the next book and a lot of 'do this, then do this' without enough explanation. As always with Wrox books I am always a bit disappointed with the general production quality of the book such as the cheap paper, ugly typefaces, lack of editing, poor index etc.

Instead I started reading the Sitepoint ASP.NET book and found it refreshingly shorter, more methodical and more user-friendly while also going into more detail.

I also have the Pro ASP.NET (Apress) book and I think that is a really good 'professional' book and covers a lot of information, but the Sitepoint book is much better as a tutorial if you are completely new to ASP.NET.

I think that this book falls between two stools - as a beginner book, it is too long-winded and too dry and as a professional book, it isn't comprehensive enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable guide to building ASP.NET websites, 2 April 2009
I have this book in my online library but I have finally decided that I need a paper copy of it too as I keep using it time and again. Somehow, the author has managed to write a book answering exactly the questions I have and with exactly desired level of detailing. The book is full of practical examples and if I need to learn something I just follow the example and have the thing thoroughly understood and working in no time. This is a superb book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise. Well structured, 29 Jun 2009
M. Bowen (UK) - See all my reviews
I am an experienced .Net developer for windows applications. I bought this book to learn the ASP.net side of dot net development. I was not disappointed. Not only has it clearly explained the ASP.net side of things, it has also filled missing gaps in other areas of my knowledge such as stylesheets and some features in the visual studio ide. I am sure this would help complete beginners aswell. Would fully recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to asp.net 3.5, 23 April 2010
A. Pollard (UK) - See all my reviews
I can honestly say this is the best computer book I've read (out of a dozen or so.) and possibly only the second Ive read from start to end. In the book, you build a data driven website for doing music reviews, with photos, and login details etc. Each topic begins with an intro to the theory, followed by an exercise, than an explanation of the exercise. It is very clear. All the code can be downloaded for any state of the project at the end of each chapter. The author is also an active participant in the publisher's forum, and is quick to answer questions. The only issue I would raise is that it says its suitable for beginners to web development. I believe a total newbie to web technologies would find it a lot to take in. I had a good knowledge of html and css, and a basic knowledge of asp /vbscript/sql and javascript and for me it was perfect. However, to build a .net 3.5 book for total beginners is nigh on impossible in my opinion. Anyway, on the basis of this book, I bought the "Professional" follow up to it as well as the Asp.net instant results book.

Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: in C# and VB (Programmer to Programmer)
Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: in C# and VB (Programmer to Programmer) by Imar Spaanjaars (Paperback - 29 Feb 2008)