5.0 out of 5 stars Super Useful
Published on 19 Nov 2008 by Simon Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars HTML, XHTML and CSS for Dummies
A good book.
I bought it because my HTML knowledge is very limited and I needed a bit more to write the help text for some applications I am writing. The help browser is an HTML viewer. I work on Apple Mac's.
Published on 1 May 2009 by J. Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars HTML, XHTML and CSS for Dummies, 1 May 2009
J. Allen "Jack" (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML, XHTML, and CSS All-in-one Desk Reference For Dummies (Paperback)
A good book.
This book claims to be platform independent and the author does constantly refer to Apple and Linux however the text is very Windows centric and he spends a lot of time explaining how to use software tools that are only available on Windows. That I found a little annoying.
I admit, for my purposes this volume is a little OTT but nevertheless very readable. It takes from the very basics to in depth in easy stages. For the (non-Windows) bits that were of real interest to me, possibly too basic for the professional, but great for the beginner or intermediate user.
A syntax table would have been useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Useful, 19 Nov 2008
Simon Thomas - See all my reviews
I run three different websites and have found this All-In-One Desk Reference to be an invaluable aid as I upgrade my sites to XHTML and CSS; I've learned a lot along the way and feel much more in control of my sites than I ever have before. The book is written in a direct and simple manner; and the occasional use of humour is usually well-timed and a good memory aid to boot. This Reference comes with a CD full of useful software (including the great [and free] Aptana Studio, which I'd never heard of before) for Windows, Mac and Linux users. My only gripe is that there is more software for Windows users on the CD than for people who use other operating systems; however, it is easy to Google and find alternative free programs when necessary.

All in all, this is a hugely useful and concise book that I would recommend to anyone starting out in web development - it can take you from beginner level to advanced very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Beginners, 28 Oct 2008
A must for anyone starting out in the web design business. A bit of HTML knowledge does help before starting the book as I think it may be a bit confusing for a complete novice. If you understand the basic concepts of <tags> this book will take you to the next level and beyond. It is well written with some humour (a godsend I think when reading technical books) as if the author is sitting next to you, and has plenty of tips, warnings and techical information. It is easy to follow with clear diagrams for each step - the CD is an added bonus and will probably be very useful to many beginners who want to follow each step. The book has taught me a vast amount that I couldn't get from internet sites, and the pricetag is very reasonable. Definately a worthwhile purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 5 Nov 2008
D. Vakrat - See all my reviews
This is indeed a perfect book for a beginner its not just informative but its a great light reading. To be a good teacher is not enough just to know the material one have to have teaching talant that Andy Harris unquestionably have.
If a question pops into your head during the reading you will probably have the answer in the next two sentences.
I highly recommend this book its clear, written with great sense of humor
and its truly all you need to start your way in the web developing world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for starting on the web, 6 Oct 2010
This book is very good for those with little or no knowledge about programming on the web.

I bought this book a while ago, but I still find my myself constantly referring to it. I bought it because a couple of years before, I had tried learning HTML, but I didn't understand any of it. This book though, is amazingly good for learning it. It takes you through each chapter at a good pace and has useful comments that help you understand it. After the first three books, I was creating good, static web pages in no time at all.

PHP and Javascript are both explained reasonably well. Although I didn't understand Javascript at first, I think that was me rather than the book because as soon as I went back to it after PHP it made a lot more sense. Both these two sections are still remarkably good and cover all the necessary basics for creating dynamic websites.

I do think that the MySQL and AJAX sections are too confusing. I stumbled through them and didn't really come out none the wiser. Since reading them, my MySQL skills have developed and it now serves as a good reference, but I wouldn't recommend either for beginners. Also, the AJAX part should really be called jQuery because it focuses more on that rather than AJAX.

Overall though, the book is thoroughly enjoyable and has always been useful and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get started making websites on the internet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of info but few tutorials.., 31 Oct 2009
T. Bennett "RevReese" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Packed with tools, firefox addons and various utilities recommended in the lessons (all on disc), this book got me off to a great start. The only problem I found was at the end of the first book (HTML) it stopped giving the 'guided tutorials' and instead just proceeded to show me different things I could do without explaining exactly how.

The few examples it did display the code for, it did try to explain what the code meant but in my opinion, it jumped to quickly from the holding-your-hand-while-you-learn stage to the this-is-what-you-can-do-when-you-know-what-you're-doing stage almost instantly, leaving me feeling a bit lost, like i'm waiting for the next example to follow along to that never appears..

Overall, a fascinating read written in an informal, interesting style which is easy to read and understand, yet contains the essence of what you need to know, whilst providing many tips and software recommendations to work alongside the examples in the book.

If you are a quick study and are handy with a search engine to complement this book, it should set you up nicely...

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly and right to the point!, 21 Feb 2009
Imad Mousa "Imad" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
As they say, good teachers are not the ones who know their stuff well, but the ones who can teach it right to others. If you're starting web design the right way, you need this book...it provides you with a solid starting point. I wouldn't say it's a professional level, but it simply equips you with the right instruments to start off.

Simple language, not much technical borrrrring stuff...a theory and its practice...that's how it goes. It's very informative and very brain-friendly...go ahead! Buy it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks like im not even a dummy, 2 Nov 2009
W. Bus "Noob Coder" (UK) - See all my reviews
Well in my opinion its not the best For Dummies book, its a great book very smart but it just lacks that For Dummies quality, another show off author , its ok thru xhtml and css bit but when it gets to more complicated java script and PHP bits its just no good. If your a begginer programer and i guess you are get "C for dummies" i know its C but trust me its a great book which explains coding in overall For Dummies style, gives you an overall idea about coding and all the bits and bobs that make you start to think like a programer.

4.0 out of 5 stars html ,xhtml and css, 8 Mar 2009
this product is great value for money and you can learn all about html, xhtml and css plus more
even new learners can learn and understand it easy
great book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great easy to understand, 1 Nov 2013
Sam (Cambridgeshire, Uk) - See all my reviews
Great book, really easy to use. breaks steps in to easy sections so if you are more advanced you can easily move on.

HTML, XHTML, and CSS All-in-one Desk Reference For Dummies
HTML, XHTML, and CSS All-in-one Desk Reference For Dummies by Chris McCulloh (Paperback - 9 May 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01