Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 May 2008
This is one of several books I have bought, and it is by far the best. Not only does it explain what all the camera controls do, but also why you use them. Also included are sections on exposure, lenses, using the flash and basic composition. It then goes on to cover how to compose and shoot different types of photos, including action shots, animals, landscapes and taking photos at night. All of this is presented in a very clear readable style and is accompanied by detailed colour photos throughtout. A thorough and compelling guide to the D40/D40x which I would highly recommend.
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2007
For anyone new to Nikon's D40/D40x DSLR this is the book to buy. The camera manual supplied by Nikon has poor readability, with tiny fonts, grey print not black, and defies logic in the way that's organised. In contrast The Digital Field Guide by David D. Busch, in full colour, is a treasure trove of well organised, readable information. For the newbie or the more advanced amateur moving to DSLR, you won't be disappointed. I'm delighted with mine. After reading a few chapters, my photographs are stunning. Much thanks to David, to Amazon for a terrific book.
0Comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2008
Firstly - dump the manual that came with your D40 in the drawer - it is next to useless if you are new to a dSLR.

Then open this book and find your way around the extensive features that this 'beginners' dSLR offers. The book is well written with multiple supporting illustrations. It quickly unravels some of what seem at first complicated menus and sub menus.

I quickly found out as an example how to limit the ISO rating the camera uses on ISO Auto, I won't tell you here, you'll have to buy the book!!! but it solved for me the issue of noise that had crept into some of my pictures when using ISO auto.

Again quickly found out how to switch off the graphic representation of the shooting settings and get it to a 'classic' setting more akin to what would appear on a LCD menu had the D40 had one. This is essential for any one who bemoans the loss of the LCD screen settings on the D40.

This book is certainly a must have for any d40 user - certainly any one using one for the first time.

If there is any down side it is the book size making it a tad of a challenge to use 'in the field' but if it was any smaller it probably wouldn't be as easy to read and follow as it is.
on 27 August 2008
This book does exactly what it says on the cover, takes you through all the functions (with easy to see colour pictures)), working with light, exposure, photographing different subjects, etc. It explains your Nikon D40 and all of the features, I cannot recommend this highly enough. Between this and the Ken Rockwell website I have learnt so much about the D40.
on 3 April 2008
Compared to the standard D40 user guide this book is an enjoyable and well thought out publication. Each chapter is well laid out and the whole book leads you through the actions to take and things to learn on how to get the best from this camera. I haven't read a book for a long time but I just can't put this guide down.

If you have a D40 or D40X I'd highly recommend this great value book to help you get the most out of the camera.
on 3 July 2008
This book tell you all you need to know when starting out with the Nikon D40 in an easy and comprehensive way unlike the original confusingly laid out manual. Additionally this book give good photo taking techniques in a variety of situations. Nice!
on 15 May 2008
This book is brilliant if you are new to DSLR photography and the manual that comes with the camera confuses you-like it did me! I have learnt so much and have already been practising with it. Things have made sense and I have to reread it to then put it into practice, i can see me taking this book on holiday and not the manual!
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2009
If you own a D40 then you really must have a copy of this book, particularly if the D40 is your first (D)SLR.

It is set out very simply. You will see from the table of contents that it covers every concievable subject for an introduction (A very detailed introduction) to using your D40.

It doesn't just talk about the camera per se, but rather it will help you to take much improved photographs!

It really is fantastically detailed. Every menu option is explained, why you should use it, when, how it will affect the photographs etc.

I was asked to photograph a friends wedding (brave) and read this before I did and it increased my confidence with my camera considerably!

The only reason I have given it 4 stars andnot the 5 is because I found the explanation of rear and front sync flash rather confusing. But that's probably just my slow brain!

SO if you have a D40 and it is your first DSLR then please please buy this or else chances are you are wasting your camera!
on 18 October 2008
What an amazing read. If you are new to DSLR or photography in general and you have the D40/X you must own this book. Full of concise step by step easy to read instructions on getting the most out of your camera. I can't put it down. Learn how to use the basic dials on your camera and take great shots. Then when you feel more comfortable with it move on to more indepth actions on exposure, lighting, composition etc. Each chapter lets you feel your way in to the subject so you don't feel rushed. This allows you to understand everything easier and that way you feel like you are actually learning something and remembering it. You really can't do without this book. An amazing read. I love it as much as the camera itself.I would pay double for this book. Get it now!
on 20 August 2009
I bought this after becoming frustrated with the black and white photocopied booklet that came with my D40, and I have to say I was really glad I did. I'd never owned an SLR before so really needed a step-by-step guide to all the features.

I found this book so helpful. The tone was encouraging, the layout was logical and easy to follow and the colour illustrations very clear.

I really feel like I know my way around the D40 now, and have even started selling my photographs to raise money for charity! Even though I feel quite experienced with the D40 now, I still dip into this book from time to time.

Best points:
* Logical layout
* Very comprehensive
* Full colour pictures
* Great section on how to tackle different photo subjects
* Very helpful glossary and index

Worst points:
* None

Verdict:
If you are new to the D40, then you can't go wrong with this book!