on 31 March 2010
One of the first guides that I have used that is intelligent enough to be made at a size and weight that is portable. Its greatest asset, though, has to be the plethora of maps that are featured. Within hours of arriving, I got my bearings. Really enjoyed all the tips for which sites to visit for those on short stays, but the guide was really strong on its cultural suggestions. Great for anyone visiting the city for art and architecture. The chapters dedicated to gourmet food, dining and bars were also packed with ideas.
on 26 January 2011
I have to say I was skeptical about buying this guide book. I've only ever bought Time Out or Rough Guides and I knew that Frommer's are produced by an American publisher. However, I am so glad I made the leap to a Frommer's guide book!

The last guides I bought were The Pocket Rough Guide to Paris and the Time Out Paris. I disliked the fact that the Rough Guide begins with a small colour section that contains some photos, but the rest of it is in black and white, on pathetically thin paper, with no photos! In addition, the middle pages of the book started to fall out which was really inconvenient when we were trying to use it. This has really put me off buying any more Rough Guides. The Time Out guide was good, but quite heavy and I ended up leaving it at the hotel most of the time.

The size and weight of the Frommer's Barcelona day by day is perfect- it's not too heavy and just the right size to fit in your bag. It's packed with colour photos (Rough Guides publisher are you listening?!) and maps on good quality paper. The number of maps really helped when I was struggling to find my way around. Some people might not think photos are that important, but I find they help me to get a feel for the city and to make decisions about where to go. The author of Frommer's Barcelona day by day really knows his stuff. There are useful guides on what to do if you're visiting for 1 day, 2 days or 3 days. There are excellent sections on seeing the best art and arcitecture for the arty peeps. There's a section on old Barcelona, the famous street La Rambla. And of course, there are the usual handy tips on the best eateries, bars, hotels etc. I should mention that as Frommer's are an American publisher, the prices for restaurants etc are represented by dollars not British pounds. However, the rest of the book (prices for museums, galleries etc) uses Euros so I did not find this annoying.

All in all, this is an excellent guide book and I'm very pleased. I won't visit Barcelona again without this guide!
on 12 September 2012
(Also accidentally reviewed on the American side of the site...)

As everyone else says, this is an excellent guide to Barcelona. To be fair, it's a grid-city and so it's quite hard to lose your way, but if you've never been there before and are there only for a long weekend, you might want to contain your wandering.

The best this guide had to offer me was in the Drinking and Dining section. These days Barcelona is one of the best cities when it comes to food so chances are you'll have hardly any unfortunate dining experiences but why not go for the truly exquisite? The book offers some excellent suggestions.

The local metro map is a little outdated but that won't pose much trouble. The metro system in Barcelona is one of the most modern and user friendly I've seen so far.
on 4 April 2013
Not so good if you are trying to visit Barcelona on a budget.
First the positives. Good size. Good map. And a very good and logical guide to seeing a lot of what Barcelona has to offer. If that is what you are after then I recommend it.
A lot of the restaurants and hotels mentioned in the book were well beyond my budget. Barcelona is never going to be a cheap city to visit but after a couple of days there I did discover how I could get high quality food, good coffee and superb wine without having to rack up the credit card bills. Unfortunately the book didn't tell me how to do this.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 August 2013
I've used 3 Frommer's guides now and I rate all of them. they're a great size for putting in your (largish) pocket, the info is bang on - the restaurants that were suggested were first rate and in line with what we were advised by the locals and the map that comes with the book is first rate - better than the lonely planet.

Every time I go away I buy a lonely planet, as they were what I used when I went traveling round asia / india and nz/aus and the last 3 times, the lonely planet has been left at the hotel room while the frommer's guide has come out with us.
on 12 November 2013
It is useful to have something to which you can refer when walking through the streets of somewhere you've not visited before.

This volume contains a wealth of information and we used it primarily for background and planning our daily trips out rather than as an advance means of determining hotels or restaurants which appears to have been an issue for some. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

We supplemented it with Eyewitness Pocket Map Guide Barcelona
on 17 August 2013
Convenient sized book which should fit easily into a pocket or bag. Lots of useful information and several suggested walking tour routes. Plenty of information about the highlights and a fold out map in a plastic sleeve, also lots of maps within the book sections.

My only gripe is that the text is quite small and sometimes the contrast between text and page colour can make it a little difficult to read. However, I also put this down to my old age eyesight!

Recommended
on 3 October 2013
If you are going on a short break to Barcelona, I would highly recommend this book. It was small enough to fit in my handbag, the fold out map was really useful to use before our trip to plan our stay and while we were there. However, the best part of this little guide is the section of the best neighbourhood walks especially through the gothic quarter, we have never walked so much in 3 days!
on 11 August 2014
What I love about the day-by-day series of guidebooks is that not only does it recommend places to see, but also recommends how many you could fit in if you have anywhere between 1 and 5 days to spend. This really helps when planning, especially with a shorter trip. The fold-out map in the plastic pocket at the back is also fantastically helpful.
on 9 August 2011
I love these little guides from Frommer's. They make a visit to a new city so easy and smooth, with several itineraries depending on your interest and areas. They aren't big on accomodation, but most people would have that sorted out from home anyway. Can only recommend these guides big time.