5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Ferrety! New Pets for a New Age.
Published on 18 April 2001 by petrasings@hotmail.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive but unreadable
I borrowed this from the library and was disappointed. Whilst the information given is comprehensive enough, I didn't learn anything that I hadn't already read using Google and web forums.

I found the language used very patronising, and wished that the author could have used the word "ferrets" a bit more rather than "fuzzbutts" or "fuzzies", which drove me mad...
Published on 24 Aug. 2010 by Grue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Ferrety! New Pets for a New Age., 18 April 2001
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
I purchased this book to help me with a college assignment. It has been a saving grace. I knew very little about ferrets until I got this book and now I know lots. Everything from what not to do, to what you absolutely should do. The book focuses on ferrets as pets, and is obviously American in its outlook, but, the traditional role of the ferret as a hunting animal is covered,albeit from the U.S. perspective. The book covers diseases in accessible language, together with ways to deal with most eventualities, and how to prevent them. The book is easy to read, and is very easy to dip into for information needed quickly. It lacks the usual Dummies derogatory lingo, but that does not detract form the enjoyment, these new pets need to be taken seriously anyway. Colour photos in one section are nice. Everything from history, diet, breeding, housing, stimulation and a good section on environmental enrichment. Everything you need to become conversant with the ferret! I highly recommend this book for anyone who needs in depth information on Mustelids. Good references and a very good section on the unknown plight of the only wild ferret, the Black-footed Ferret. Great! Good value for money too.

4.0 out of 5 stars not a dummy book, 5 Jun. 2008
Ms. C. Lewington (cambridge, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
I have just bought this book to learn about my new ferret and how to look after it, and i'm really pleased with it. I covers all possible queries, how to stop bad behaviour, how to bond with your ferret, how to play with it, train it... it's now my bible and bedtime read. It is easy to read and has some humour. The only draw back (minimal) is it is american but it doesn't change it's usefulness, and not enough photos of other little ones. Good book to get for the novice like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars ferrets as pets, 28 Dec. 2009
L. Mills (lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
Straightforward, easy to read guide to ferrets as pets. Particularly useful are sections dealing with illness and how to nurse and feed an ill ferret, a poo chart which can tell you whats going on inside your friend and how to tell if your ferret is in pain as they tend to hide it till too late. There is a discussion of raw food diet versus dried food diet and how to change over. Also descriptions of common ferret behaviour and training techniques. There is nothing in here about hunting with ferrets, but mine are pets anyway. A good book about this is James McKays Complete Guide to Ferrets who obviously has their welfare at heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
I have kept ferrets over my life and love the little critters, I have also purchased many books but I have to say this is the best book I have ever purchased. It is practical, down to earth, funny and goes into good depth about keeping these guys well, healthy, happy and what do look for in terms of illness and disease. Some great practical tips and it is not bias to just one way of thinking.
Keeping ferrets can be achieved in various ways and some will say only feed this and others only feed that and it can be hard to get your head around what is actually best, this books looks at all methods and explains the pro's and con's of different methods.
Even though I have kept happy healthy ferrets throughout my life this book still taught me a lot and it is so well written and enjoyable. One of the best books I have read in a long time. If I could give more stars I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good guide for a novice, 25 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
When I got my ferrets, I wanted a good book, well it's okay getting bits here and there off the internet, but to have all the things you want to know at your finger tips,why not get a book.
This is brilliant, but it has references around America, because it was written by an American, but the author makes it both comical and informative, even for those in the UK. A must have read for that novice ferret owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for first time furball owners, 3 Feb. 2010
Mle Chloe Williams (versailles, france) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
before getting my first pet ferret, i was recommended this book, and am very greatful for it. it is packed full of information, tips, and helps with any panic i've had with my 2 kits (when they cough, hiccup, what to do if they are ill etc) everytime i have a question, i turn to this book first.
definietly recommended for first time ferret owners!

4.0 out of 5 stars ferrets for dummies, 3 Feb. 2010
Mr. G. Lomax (yorkshire england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
the book gave a good all round view of what being owned by a ferret will be like. although it was writen for the american market its a good base to start off with, it gives a good reference point to look back at in the future. it says it all in the title 'ferrets for dummies'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only for Dummies, 8 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book. I have some notes on it that I'd like to be changed but over all, it is a good book to have for dummies and for advanced equally!

5.0 out of 5 stars ferrets for dummies, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
this book is the best ferret book ever and covers everything and has fun facts with some photos and comic pictures and is also easy to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book for ferret pet owners and ferret lovers, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Ferrets For Dummies (Paperback)
If you are looking for a book for ferret lovers and owners then ignore the two negative reviews on here. This book isn't written for people who use ferrets as hunting animals. Nor is it patronizing - as suggested by one reviewer - in its use of the term fuzzies. The book is written for ferret owners and ferret lovers by someone who clearly has a deep love for these wonderful creatures. Hence the term fuzzy and others like it are used as terms of endearment. The book itself contains everything that you will need to know or may to need to know in order to look after your pet ferret. It is not solely a beginner book and a fantastic reference aid for ailments, habits, feeding etc. This 2nd edition has some colour fotos in it. There is even a section on the endangered American Black Foot Ferret. I have four books on ferrets - this is by the best and most comprehensive. A very worthwhile purchase. Thank you Kim Schilling for sharing your knowledge and taking the time to make this information available for everyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ferrets For Dummies
Ferrets For Dummies by Kim Schilling (Paperback - 9 Oct. 2007)