4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point, but not for the intermediate user
Published on 23 Feb 2009 by Robert Greene

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be dumber than a dummie...
Published on 13 July 2008 by KC Gustafson

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point, but not for the intermediate user, 23 Feb 2009
Robert Greene (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ubuntu Linux For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book with the view to becoming familiar with Linux, in particular Ubuntu. As such, I now know how to connect my Linux station to the internet, how to surf the internet, set up a firewall, use a mail client, etc. The book also teaches about the file system in Linux and points out differences between it and Windows, which was good for me being a Windows user all my life.

It stops short of any serious administration though, so if you're not an absolute beginner, I'd suggest another book! This is well-written, clear, concise and actually funny in places, recommended for a beginner.

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be dumber than a dummie..., 13 July 2008
KC Gustafson (Uxbridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ubuntu Linux For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book because I converted an old Dell lappy to Ubuntu, and really had no idea how to do a damn thing. And I still don't. Trying to install drivers, realplayer, etc, remains as much a mystery to me now as before. If you are looking for a "tutorial" on how to use linux, I'm, afraid this is not it. Being a total neophyte, all I can say is that I must be dumber than a dummie, or I am not sure who this is aimed at.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Starter Guide, 25 May 2008
Martin Coghlan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ubuntu Linux For Dummies (Paperback)
I wish I had bought this book before I installed and tested out Ubuntu. I learned so much over a month or so of trialling and testing that the book added fewer facts, tips and techniques than I would have liked. This is probably a testament to the quality and ease-of-use of Ubuntu rather than a criticism of this book. If I'd read it first it would have made my task far easier.

Ubuntu Linux For Dummies
Ubuntu Linux For Dummies by Paul G. Sery (Paperback - 4 May 2007)
Used & New from: 1.24