4.0 out of 5 stars Helps to get beyond the essentials
Published on 20 Oct 2007 by P. Desmond

3.0 out of 5 stars manual update?
Not much better than the oroginal manual that came with the camera
Its A bit of a waste...?in my opinion
Published 4 months ago by M. J. Johnston

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps to get beyond the essentials, 20 Oct 2007
P. Desmond - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I am usually rather wary of books that offer to illustrate the camera manual and make it easier to understand. Sometimes they do no more than that and don't help to widen one's knowledge. This book, however, goes well beyond the manual. Following, as one would expect, a clear presentation of the technical features of the D80 and their efficient use, there are chapters dedicated to exposure, lenses, and working with light that help to give a better understanding of the many elements the photographer will have to juggle in order to achieve his aim. I found the section on "Photo Subjects", presenting the "rules" of good composition in different settings, helpful, though perhaps a bit too similar to what so many other publications offer in this regard. All in all, this book is a good investment if you are starting to use a D80 and learning to hone your photographic skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 15 Jan 2008
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
This is a really useful book - I am very glad I got it. I found the manual that comes with the D80 to be extremely limited and hard to use, this takes everything much further and has some really useful explanations and tips. The D80 has so many functions and settings and intuition alone is not going to enable you make the most of all of them. As you've spent 500+ on the camera package, I think it's worth a few extra pounds to really know how to use the camera, even if you're experienced in photography. As it says on the label, this book explains how to use the D80's multitide of controls to achieve what you want while also being small enough to fit in your bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars D80 Owner (amateur!), 24 Mar 2008
Sara (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
Great book for anyone starting out with a D80! I'm usually the type of person who doesn't have the patience to sit down with an instruction manual or book. I'd rather just get my hands on the hardware and mess around until I've figured it all out. So David Busch's D80 digital field guide was a first.
Despite my phobia of instruction manuals and guides, I have really enjoyed studying all the useful information in this book. I would certainly recommend this book to any new D80 owner (or to a D80 owner who wants to polish up on their photography skills). It not only gets into the nitty-gritty of the D80 but also provides a great introduction to photogrpahy in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a manual that helps, 29 April 2008
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I have bought a number of camera manuals over the years from Lantern guides to Hove foto books, and they have all really done little more than re-hash the camera manual. The Digital Field guide starts with the manual and simplifies it and pulls out lots of useful customisation settings on the D80. It very quickly helps you around all the key featrures of the camera, then digs deeper into some key areas of operation. It is clearly and logiclly written and with lots of clean illustrations. The latter half is made up of a lot of general photography tips and an experienced photographer may skip a lot of this section, although I have to put my hand up and admit it refreshed me on a couple of key elements around flash. If you have bought a D80 and have spent hours poring over the manual this will be a welcome aid to getting the most out of what is a very capable camera, I can highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed, 24 Jun 2007
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
excellent publication used in conjunction with manual,marred slightly by lack of hyphens in lens range ie 1870 instead of 18-70but in my opinion a better buy than the magic lantern d80 guide

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect supplement to Nikon D80s original manual, 16 July 2010
Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide

Written with a god portion of humor, reading this field guide is a pleasure. It gives you a clear impression of the camera's functions and possibilities which is superior to the factory manual's confusing references back and forth. In addition it will give the beginners in photography an insight in the photographic terms like apertures, ISO, exposure etc. Even relatively experienced amateur photogaphers will gain a lot of valuable information reading this book. Great value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide, 23 Jun 2010
M. E. Hammond - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
A very useful and informative guide to using the D80. The manual given with the camera when you but it is not easy to follow so this guide book is a godsend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible buy for even the experienced user, 9 May 2010
Doub (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
My initial impression on opening this book was that there was little in it that I didn't already know, having had a D80 for over two years. But on delving into it I soon realised I was wrong, there being a good deal in it that I didn't know, or had overlooked or imperfectly understood. Doubtless all the info is in the supplied Nikon manual, but its cryptic style and arcane layout do not make it user-friendly. David Busch's book, on the other hand, is written in a cogent and lucid fashion, with a plethora of illustrations and examples. I learnt a lot from it and warmly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 9 May 2010
T. W. Mason (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I've read a lot of books on digital photography, and I can only describe having both this book and a Nikon D80 as like receiving one-to-one tuition. As someone who is competent photographer but not an expert, all the subjects I'd covered in other books and the "How do I do that?" questions that occured to me are all answered in this guide. If other books tell you "this is what you need to do", then the D80 guide tells you "this is what you need to do, AND this is how you do it". Enormously helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
A very good guide, even though I have had my D80 for a long time and am familiar with its use - the best part for me is the extensive second section with tips on taking different kinds of photographs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide by David D. Busch (Paperback - 29 May 2007)
11.19