5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Resource

3.0 out of 5 stars excellent but out of date
Published on 6 Mar 2008 by T. Izard

3.0 out of 5 stars excellent but out of date, 6 Mar 2008
This review is from: Adobe Flash CS3 Professional Bible (Paperback)
I recently finished reading this and enjoyed every minute of it, it is a very good book in how it explains how to do things in the visual way in Flash CS3 and using AS 1.0 & 2.0. But this is where it falls short. There is hardly any AS 3.0 scripting so essentually it is great but flawed. If it was all AS 3.0 you wouldn't need any other book. But, I find myself reverting to other sources of AS 3.0 training I have done before this book. As for the accompining AS 3.0 bible (is this maybe why only AS 1 & 2 in this book?) it is very minimal in its explaination and lacks any decent examples in its coverage of AS 3.0. Look at the Lynda books.

Id give this book 5 stars for its tutorial of using Flash CS3 and AS 2.0 but 1 star for its tutoring of AS 3.0.

Overal still worth having in your collection at the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Resource, 1 Mar 2008
This review is from: Adobe Flash CS3 Professional Bible (Paperback)
Having bought all the books produced by these authors (and read them from start to finish) I can say the comment about it being a copy of the previous Flash 8 Bible is in part the way true. Sure there is a lot of the same information, but it needs to be there. There is about 200 pages out of the book which contain new information, however, it is mixed in well and adds value, so you need to read it to find it.

Because who knows exactly who the audience will be, and at what level?

Anyway, I have again read this through and if you take the time to do this you will see all the new features and interface changes and explanations are there for the new CS3 Flash. I now use this as my "refer to" book instead of the old one, so it is great having the "old" information there to! I don't need to look up two books.

The authors of this book know what they are doing and can relay the information in an easy to understand and very interesting way, so even if you have read the previous book cover to cover you will still want to read this one the same. It never hurts to go over old information as well; it is amazing how many things you remember that you forgot!

So my comment here would be if you want to see and test the new FLASH interface out, then you will want to seriously consider this book. I am glad I bought it and I will continue to get their products in the future, so I have to give it a 5 start for consistency and taking the time to include the "old" with the "new". The only complaints I could add is that it may have helped to use new examples, the ones they use are from the old book and it was a little boring on that level. Still it was a good refresher even if it was the same examples!

Well worth getting, even if it is just to replace the Flash 8 book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece from Professional, 22 Mar 2008
This review is from: Adobe Flash CS3 Professional Bible (Paperback)
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is really happened and we upgraded from version 8 to CS3. This time Flash changed not only version, but also an owner and now Bible with all reserved rights calls "Adobe Flash CS3 Bible". This is the first one, but I'm sure not the last one. This Bible goes with CD where you can find "original Flash project files with ActionScript code for example in the book, along with custom components for image loading and effects".

I want to say that I have this book because of couple reasons. First of all, I buy Bibles from year 2000 or 2001 and yet was never disappointed. All information was there, when I need it.
Second reason is that I believe that book written by Robert Reinhardt just can't (no way) be bad. He writes Bible references from version 5 as far as I remember (correct me if I wrong). He wrote a couple of other Flash (and also ActionScript) books and honestly I don't remember bad reviews to it.

Book has a lot of information, so no wonder it's big again: 1232 pages to be precise. For those who abscessed with clean white pages, nothing to worry about - it's clean and white. You will not be disappointed.
Book covers different aspects of Flash CS3. What would you like to know or to do?
- Create a Game in Flash?
- Animate with ActionScript?
- Integrate Flash Components with Web Pages?
- Publish Flash Movie?
This all and much more you will find in this book in every possible detail. All you need to know about Flash CS3 you will find inside.

For people, who already have experience with Flash, this book will help to upgrade from Flash 8 user interface to Flash CS3 and find out new futures.
Those who have no previous experience with Flash application, this book will be great start point and Part 5 will be just priceless.

Of cause, you don't need to read book at once. You can use it mostly in two ways: as a desktop reference or as a study book. Whatever way you choose, you will not regret it.

In one word, I just want to say that Robert Reinhardt is professional in this area and he knows what he's talking about. If you want to become a professional or at least be good too in Flash, you should look up to somebody who have much more experience that you (one more reason why I like this book).

So if you want stay face-to-face with Flash and win, this book will help you a lot.
As stands on cover "The book you need to succeed". Almost true, because you need not only book, but also wish to study and find out new horizons - then everything will be great! Success to everybody!

1.0 out of 5 stars FLASH CS3 without ActionScript 3.0 !!!!!!!!, 25 Oct 2007
Mr. W. Wang - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Flash CS3 Professional Bible (Paperback)
Almost 99% content in this book are basen on AS 1.0 and AS 2.0 !!!!!

If you are looking for books about Flash CS3 and AS 3.0, don't buy it !!!!

Adobe Flash CS3 Professional Bible
Adobe Flash CS3 Professional Bible by Snow Dowd (Paperback - 9 Oct 2007)
29.03