on 21 July 2008
I've only been interested in Maya from a purely hobbyist point of view - it's good fun, if sometimes overwhelming.

Eric Keller is obviously very familiar with the software, and from his writing style in the book I can only assume he's an excellent teacher. He manages to write about a deeply technical subject in a way that makes reading fun and interesting.

The book is broken up with plenty of screenshots, illustrations and examples. I particularly liked the way that each scenario is treated as a real life situation "Your art director has just handed you a napkin with vague instructions of some 3d effects involving a mad scientist and a wriggling 3d tentacle scribbled on it. He wants a playblast movie by lunchtime..." is a typical scenario from the book and you are taken through the scenario step by step.

One of Maya's strengths is its flexibility in allowing you many ways to accomplish any one task. Taking this further, Eric delights in using seeming disparate parts of the program to do weird and wonderful things with other parts of the program, and producing some amazing effects as a end result.

Fantastically readable and probably the best Maya book I've bought, having bought a further 6 'learning...' maya books. If Mr Keller writes anything else, I'm buying it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again