on 8 February 2009
This book is one of the finest ccna materials i have been able to lay my hands on. The writing is very interactive at all times and after completing this book you should be all set for the ccna exam. The cd they give with this book has a lot of practice tests and model exams. However you won't find the ccna simulator in it (which is a pity coz you need the simulator to practice the commands). on the whole (conceptwise) this book is very informative and a good buy
on 14 August 2009
This book is an awesome compilation and collection of the most important networking concepts that would be required to be put in your head for appearing for the CCNA exams. The writing style is extremely simple. The most difficult concepts are explained in an easy to comprehensible manner. The fun is the subnetting. Todd challenges after reading the Subnetting chapter and doing the written tests at the end of the chapter, you will be able to subnet in your head and that you will never forget to subnet if you practice regulary (visa-a-vis being fit to go to the gym). So, if you are looking to buy this don't think twice. Just get it.
on 14 December 2009
...then I would use this book.

Having used the official CISCO study guides (previous exam) and this one. This one is a lot easier to read and less dry than the official ones with everything so far being well explained.

A recommended read for all budding CCNA's!

I can now fully recommend this book, as I passed my CCNA first time with the help of this book!
on 24 April 2014
Todd Lammle is one of the best authors ........he not only knows what he is talking about but also knows/reads the mind of students ......
He knows the skill of writing and explaning and I think It might be because of his teaching skills
on 2 March 2012
I had some doubt about writing a review for this book,that because I could not compare it with any other similar book.how can you really review something without any comparison?
But now that I have bought the Cisco official cert library book...
same topics and exams a can review it!
I found this book ambiguous and not clear...and I a not new to Networking.
the Cisco official book is actually two books of a total of 1500 pages,this book is about 800 pages.A good book no doubt,but not good enough for exams.
at the seven edition still printing errors?I spend an afternoon going mad with some subnet miscalculation,all becose of printing error.the page are yellow-ish,Cisco CCNA is a proper book,white pages,good quality and printing ecc.
if Cisco call the second layer of the TCP/IP model "Transport",why does Lammle call it Host to Host.in exams they want to ear what they teach you...e ne?
this is a good book don't take me wrong,but Cisco exams require the really best,and I think this book fall short of that.to many information's crammed in about 800 pages,it did not cut it for me.
Not at the level you expect from an examination book.
if you want general knowledge about Cisco networks this book will do very well,
for sure it can teach you how to network with Cisco routers,IOS,ecc.
The information are there,but the way that are presented to the student is as I said for me is not enough.
now that I bought the official Cisco press book I can see the difference,and if you see carefully the content on the Cisco one,it is better value,better quality,and with the Cisco network simulator (lite),exam test engine ecc,I regret not having bought it first.
on 11 December 2009
Written really well in a format thats easy to understand.

I recommend you read this cover to cover maybe 3 or 4 times if you want to pass first time like me.
on 12 September 2011
I find it quite hard to believe anyone has passed the CCNA exam with this book, vague is an understatement. I have been studying Network Engineering for 2 years now and this summer I decided to get the CCNA under my belt before moving into my 3rd and final year.

The book is well written but it does not have any detail on most subjects covered, there isn't anything on DHCP IPv4 even though I have been told by numerous people that DHCP appears as a simulation in the CCNA exam.

The test enqine is very misleading, it almost sounds like that it has an actual simulation engine to work on routers and switches in a lab type environment. It doesn't.

The questions in the test engine are horrendous, I have taken all 4 of the CCNA modules and the CCNAS and let me tell you for a fact that the layout of the questions and the way they are asked are far more technical and more related to the material than the questions in this ''test engine''.

My advice is to use the CISCO press books, they're not that much more expensive than the Sybex books and they are written by CCIE's. The CISCO books are a little more difficult to digest but they cover all topics in greater detail.

To be honest if you are determined to pass CCNA you should pay to do the course at a local education center and you will get access to the CISCO online academy and the material is fantastic.

This is a good book for reference but that's about it.
on 31 August 2010
Great book for preparing for CCNA exam!
Even if you are complete beginner in networking by the end of it you will be ready to take the exam. Just don't skip any chapters, written labs, review questions and hands-on labs! Do them very carefully and you will be ready!:)
on 11 February 2010
A good book if you are a beginner or novice on networks but it just goes into far too much detail if you are just trying to pass the exam and don't want to know every single detail.

I read about 100 or so pages of this book and thought I would never pass the exam is they tested me to the level of detail that this book explain every single thing. I then attended a CCNA boot camp and used the official Cisco material to take my exam. The official Cisco material did not go into so much detail and it was presented in a bullet point and diagram style.

I recommend the book but just be aware it is more then you need to pass the exam.
on 3 March 2010
This book is a must have for anyone attempting CCNA. Its very well put together and easy to understand and very interactive, it has some test samples on cd which are helpful to getting use to the exam environment. I would also recommend the official cisco press books as they are designed to coordinate with the CCNA course. The only problem with this paperback book is that it splits quite easily at the spine and the pages eventually start falling out (I've had other paperback too which are built more solid)so I would recommend the hardback version, other than that it really is an excellent book.