5.0 out of 5 stars Access 2007 Data Analysis, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Access 2007 Data Analysis (Paperback)
This book was exactly what I was looking for and more. As an advanced Excel User I wanted to to explore performing data transformations and analysis using MS Access. I have had some experience of using Access but not enough to slice and dice data quickly and efficiently. I was excited when I purchased the book which is excellent. It covered all the basics and more. There are clear examples of using Access to transform and query records etc. Mike Alexander uses his substantial experience as a data analyst and developer to guide the user on best practice in data manipulation. The book also comes with a CD with pre-loaded examples used in the book that provides the user with the opportunity to view and play with the examples discussed. The book does presume some knowledge of Excel and a basic understanding of relational concepts. The book does start by outlining these concepts in the first chapter but swiftly gets to the meaty issues that all data analysts face when dealing with querying and ordering hundreds of thousands of records. I would seriously recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand and analyse large data sets using Access. This book has taken me to another level in my technical analysis, something which I know will add to my current and future marketability. I have already impressed members of my team by implementing some of the methods discussed in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Access 2007 Data Analysis (Paperback)
I have just started a role working with huge volumes of data meaning my traditional route of analysing data through Excel is just not possible. This book has shown me how to do all the analysis I used to doing in Excel in Access. It has also helped me understand the benefits of doing this analysis in Access and provided loads of examples to work through and illustrate each point. The previous books I have bought on Access were all too light-weight but this one hits the spot and has been money well spent. The contents specifically focus on data analysis rather than other aspects of Access which is good because it means the content stays focussed. Also has a big appendix which has loads of supporting information which I have found really useful. If your role involves crunching huge data sets and providing proper analysis and insight then this book is exactly what you need. I am happy to say this was money well spent and would be surprised if anyone disagreed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, 27 Jan 2011
Mr. B. Franks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Access 2007 Data Analysis (Paperback)
This is a very good book. It is small and uncluttered.
It gets straight to the point with many examples.
If you are interested in Access as a power tool then this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Access 2007 Data Analysis (Paperback)
This book is worth buying because it clearly outlines when you will need to use Excel for data analysis and when Access should be used. The Author clearly breaks down his reasons and the demontrates what Access can do in each chapter and he lightly touches on VBA as a tool for analysis.

I would recomend ths book to intermediate and advanced users alike.

Microsoft Access 2007 Data Analysis
Microsoft Access 2007 Data Analysis by Michael Alexander (Paperback - 23 Mar 2007)