5.0 out of 5 stars The fastest way to become proficient programmer!!!
Published on 16 Jan. 2010 by Nyein Chan

3.0 out of 5 stars starightforward at first but then gets rapidly more difficul
Published on 12 Oct. 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars The fastest way to become proficient programmer!!!, 16 Jan. 2010
Nyein Chan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Developing Java Software (Paperback)
I am a mathematician and a physicist reading PhD in Mathematics and I have very little programming knowledge. This books perhaps the best programming book I have ever read! I have been looking for programming books in C, C++, Java etc amongst others in order to teach myself programming for mathematical problem solving within the context of physics and maths as well as for application development for my own interests outside main objectives. This book is really good as it has a mixture of example programs and programming exercises that are both mathematical and relevant to application development. I quickly fell in love with it. Also Dr. Graham Roberts is a great lecturer whose lectures I've been attending and he is one of the best lecturers for object-oriented programming. The examples and exercises in this book are stimulating! Problem-solving skills acquired by doing programming exercises make me feel like a real programmer and I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn Java "fast track" to become a proficient programmer. My advice is read the text (although you may skim through certain parts), write the example programs yourself and test it, and do the exercises! You won't be disappointed with this book. I wish Dr. Roberts and Prof. Winder wrote (or I hope they will in the future) a book like this on C++, Python etc. I like this book even better than Programming in C by Stefan G Kochan which is also another excellent programming book!

3.0 out of 5 stars starightforward at first but then gets rapidly more difficul, 12 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
having just started a Masters course in computer science this book was recommended to us as a must-buy purchase. Having programmed before but not in an object oriented language this book does its best to teach the basics without entering into all the complexities in the initial chapters. Nevertheless, despite the author's best efforts this means that on arrival at chapter 6 there is a sudden jump in difficulty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book For Beginers, 19 May 2006
James Byrne "jimbo_byrne" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book helped me (in 2001) in learning Java from knowing absolutely nothing about the language (admittedly i did know C++) to giving me an in-depth knowledge. The author doesn't assume you know anything from the beginning, the learning curve is fairly ok, and there are no childish images to get in the way (unlike some other books). The author tells you exactly what you need to know about Java, so that you're programming at a reasonably good level by the end of the book, and it's great for reference. Not sure what the editions after 2001 are like though, and things move fast in 5 years..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent READABLE book on a challanging subject, 21 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
Excellent book covering all the fundamentals of the Java language, explaining OOP to a level even a PL1/COBOL programmer like myself can understand. Falls short on explanations of the use of the Fundamental Classes, GUI's and Networking, but the areas it does cover it covers very well. It has many examples (the code for which can be got over the internet) which are (for the most part) informative and illuminating. I am doing an OU course on JAVA and this book has been a life saver. It explains much that the course misses out or glides over

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For New Java Programmers, 18 July 2000
Ernest "Ernest" (Swanley, Kent , UK.) - See all my reviews
Unlike most books on the subject of Java 2, this book teaches Java from first programming principles. I feel that the authors of the book must be credited for appealing to both novice and seasoned programmers. The exercises are a bonus for most learners of the Java Craft. The book is not cluttered with waffle and does teach most subjects to a reasonable degree. This is a book worthy of your bookshelf but you need to get an advanced book to complete your portfolio on Java.
Ernest - Cap Gemini Ernst & Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for the basics, 20 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
The book starts of reasonably well, covering the basic concepts to an adequate level. The main criticism arises from the explanation of the advanced features such as list and tree data structures, these structures are not coherently explained. Another major problem with the book is faliure to explain the source code, in some cases the source code seems irrevelant due to no real effort being made to explain the code. Overall, it's not a bad book and is a good introduction to java.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 20 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
The best book I have ever read. I am a novice to computer programming and after reading this book I have become a confident programmer in java. The book uses excellent examples and it's section on sorting is explained very well. I would recommend this book to any one new to java, it will be a valauble tool which will be used many times, it will become a permanent part of your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
What a excellent book. I was a complete novice in the language and after working through this book I have become a confident Java programmer. If you buy just only one Java book this has to be it. I never thought Java could be so exciting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good primer, 27 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
I thought the book was a good intro to software development, but I felt that there ought to have been more meat on the chapters about design.

Developing Java Software
Developing Java Software by R. Winder (Paperback - 17 Nov. 2006)