Published on 19 Jun 2007 by tom57

1.0 out of 5 stars Kidle edition has no index (pages 417 to 436 are missing)
Published on 25 Oct 2011 by barbara

4.0 out of 5 stars they say on the title "an excellent book for beginners and occasional practioners", 19 Jun 2007
This review is from: Bioinformatics For Dummies (Paperback)
... and I agree. This is a book for molecular biologist who want to analyse their data using bioinformatics tools. I would prefer Baxevanis/Oullette "Bioinformatics: A Practical Guide to the Analysis of Genes and Proteins", however, if this is too expensive for you than this "Bioinformatics for Dummies" is the second best choice. Layout and index is a bit more confused but it covers most stuff you will need.

A word of warning: if you want to learn how the programs work, you have to look for a different type of book, e.g. "Biological Sequence Analysis: Probabilistic Models of Proteins and Nucleic Acids" by R. Durbin, Sean R. Eddy, Anders Krogh, and Graeme Mitchison or "Algorithmic Aspects of Bioinformatics" by Hans-Joachim Bockenhauer and Dirk Bongartz.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kidle edition has no index (pages 417 to 436 are missing), 25 Oct 2011
I chose this book by reading the index. (I looked in the 'see inside' section of a number of books on bioinformatics - and this book had an index of about 20 pages). To my HORROR when I downloaded the Kindle version - I found that it had NO INDEX!!!! It had gone. Pages 417 to 436 which are the index pages in the hard copy advert, are NOT in the Kindle version of this book.

At the time, I felt really CHEATED! And it was my first ever e-book purchased! I only bought the e-book version because I needed to look some things up in a hurry. The Ad didn't say ANYTHING about the index being removed from the e-book version. I had intended to ask for my money back (or 20 pages of index please), but I was very very busy, so voicing a complaint was low down on my list. But the fact is that I needed the index to save time on looking some things up. (I find searches were time-consuming, plod plod plod, hit and miss affairs). I tried looking at the electronic version of the index on the Amazon hard copy advert, but it was so slow to load, too fuzzy for my eyes and I couldn't print it.

Well I suppose the title does say it's a book for '.. for Dummies'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bioinformatics For Dummies (Paperback)
Bought for first time bioinformatics user. Answered the questions I had and some I hadn't thought of. Good index allows you to jump to areas of relevance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and informative, 26 Dec 2005
By A Customer
So much of the information is this field (and indeed some of the applications which have been developed) seems almost intentially convoluted and difficult to understand. This book gives a very good overview of some of the more common programs that one will need to use if one is starting bioinformatics research in a way that is practical and easy understand. Despite the title, the authors have done some good work in the field (I use Notredame's T-Coffee alignment program often) and are credible authorities in this area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Bioinformatics For Dummies (Paperback)
Brilliant book for those getting in to bioinformatics and for those needing to publish bioinformatic data without being a complete expert in the field. Highly recommend

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad service from Amazon, 9 Oct 2013
A. Elfaki "Sagai" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bioinformatics For Dummies (Paperback)
My daughter bought this book without realising that she can get it delivered for free. To my surprise Amazon charged her 9 for package and delivery for a book cost 10 and can be delivered for free. I started to believe that the only thing your company cares about is making as much money as they can and at the end they don't care.
As a customer using Amazon most of the time and as a matter of principle I request to refund this 9 immediately or I will never use you again.

Best regards
Ahmed Elfaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service, 22 Dec 2009
This review is from: Bioinformatics For Dummies (Paperback)
Delivery was quick. received it in a couple of days. condition of book is good.

Bioinformatics For Dummies
Bioinformatics For Dummies by Cedric Notredame (Paperback - 8 Dec 2006)
15.63