4.0 out of 5 stars More theory than practice
In a misguided attempt to teach myself a bit of programming I bought a book on C#. After ten pages of code that meant nothing to me and no idea how it was meant to work (did I type it into a txt file or what?), I gave up.

Published on 20 Aug 2008 by S. Bentley

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly edited for the Kindle - a rip-off
Published on 10 May 2012 by Claire

4.0 out of 5 stars More theory than practice, 20 Aug 2008
S. Bentley "stuarthoratiobentley" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beginning Programming For Dummies (Paperback)

Then I saw this book. Now, don't get me wrong, by the end of the book I'm still not ready to start putting together programs, but at least I understand what is underlying the whole thing.

The book guides you through the principles behind programming, things like variables and strings, giving you an idea of how the elements interact. It also explains about editors, compilers and interpreters, even if the disc included isn't too useful this way. It also gives you prompts about the different computer languages and the trade-offs you would make by choosing to write programs in a particular language.

In some ways, the narrative is a little scattershot. There will be sudden digressions about certain styles of language and how you would have to do something different in each of them, without any worked examples. However there are a number of simple programs included.

Ultimately, I now feel more confident about programming because I can see why code is constructed the way it is. I don't know particularly how to write anything, but that's the next step!

5.0 out of 5 stars .., 24 May 2009
G. fryer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Programming For Dummies (Paperback)
taking you by the hand and walking you down various paths, explaining very simply what programming is about, why there are different programming languages and introducing you to writing some code

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Beginners book, 11 Feb 2009
D. V. Short "Enzo Short" (Orkney, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Programming For Dummies (Paperback)
This book gives very good comparisons between various related BASIC programming languages and with C++. This helps show the similarities in functioning between languages, as well as explaining the advantages and disadvantages of each. It also explains the different methods and structures of programming (O-O programming, subprogram divisions, etc.). Good self-training book all-round, and a far better book than another similar book for complete beginners (Programming for the Absolute Beginner - ISBN 1598633740). After having studied and rated this "Dummies" book, I realised too late I should have given this book a higher rating than the aforementioned one that I read first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Beginning Programming For Dummies (Paperback)
Simple, informative and entertaining. I knew nothing about Programming and, though i am by no means an expert now, I have learnt an awful lot more than I started off with. Lighthearted comments and jokes kept my attention in an area that I previously thought was rather dull.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners, 16 April 2009
Mr. CN Goodings "bubbyroller2000" (Llandudno, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Programming For Dummies (Paperback)
Great book for anyone who has contemplated learning programming. The software is really useful too. My only complaint is that the book covers four programming languages simultaniously and this can become quite teduious. However, I understand that this is to give the reader the option of following up on one specific language. I chose to look into C++ and have also bought a book which focuses on C++ but still use this one as an aid when i come across areas which are more complex to get my head round. After a while you will find that you are writing programs for the sake of it. Good book overall.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly edited for the Kindle - a rip-off, 10 May 2012
This book would otherwise be quite useful as an introduction to the world of programming. Don't buy it on the Kindle! It is shoddily edited and all the code (ie the useful bits) have been rendered as an image and appear too small without much zoom-y fiddling about. Also, some of the main text has been rendered as an image along with the code and also appears too small. Some captions to tables and coding also appear in the wrong place, or two or three times.

This is aside from the author's witterings not being properly edited, so that some of his instructions are too wordy and/or don't make sense without a bit of re-reading.

Considering the kindle version costs 9.49, and doesn't come with the CD-ROM that the book does, I feel completely ripped-off.

3.0 out of 5 stars actually 2007 reprinted in 2011, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Beginning Programming For Dummies (Paperback)
This book uses 4 different computer languages to base the learning process on, and when it was first written it would have been excellent. The book teaches the logic behind producing a working program and the tutorials that come with the languages on the CD teach the mechanics. However two of the languages have changed so much they can no longer be used from the disc. Liberty basic can be used exactly as intended and its tutorial is equally useable. The C++ compiler on the disc is still useable but the tutorial and the book use different commands and the tutorial is not particularly well written, I would not have been able to follow it beyond the first 10 pages without outside help. The book is still good value for money, you can learn to program in Basic and if you find a different C++ compiler on the internet the book would be a great help there too.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good..., 10 Aug 2013
Mr. C. Hart - See all my reviews
However if you have done any form of programming it really isn't the book for you, it seems to just tell what programming is and then leave it.

3.0 out of 5 stars programming but not coding, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Beginning Programming For Dummies (Paperback)
The book is great, don't get me wrong, but you cant really make good use of this unless you have extensive knowledge of the coding language you study, this book just tells you the techniques and formats of a program.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for real dummies, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Beginning Programming For Dummies (Paperback)
Interesting if you know nothing, but it is a bit dated and doesn't really go into modern day programming languages. Fine if you literally want to demystify coding at the highest of levels, but perhaps not practical if you want to diffferentiate the more widely-used languages (PHP/Java etc). A new edition may be calling...

Beginning Programming For Dummies
Beginning Programming For Dummies by Wallace Wang (Paperback - 28 Nov 2006)
11.89