5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!
Bought this book for a friend for Christmas and she loves it!!She said what she likes the most about it is that the ingredients are all natural no substitutes as you would find a lot in vegan/vegetarian books.Just buy it and you won't regret it!
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by S. Magnifico

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of recipes
Obviously there are lots of recipes in this book but this is essentially your 'meat and two veg' option (forgive the pun!). It has lots of basic recipes, not particularly inspiring but probably a good starter book for someone who is either new to cooking or new to vegetarian/ vegan cooking. I wouldn't really say it is to my palette but it might be perfect for others.
Published 16 months ago by Di Di

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 24 Jan 2010
S. Magnifico - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good vegan cookbook, 9 April 2010
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
I own a lot of vegan recipe books but I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. I was not disappointed by this book. Despite owning at least 10 other specifically vegan cookbooks this one has loads of recipes you won't find anywhere else. I also really like the number of variations on a single recipe - such as several different types of chili - which helps avoid boredom but also allows you to make your own adaptations to recipes the more experienced you get. There are lots of really interesting looking baking and dessert options too that I shall be trying. I wasn't convinced I would like this book but first impressions are excellent! I'd recommend even as a 'one-off' vegan reference book as it contains so many recipes you may not need to look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Culinary Bible!, 18 April 2012
Jane Easton "tofu queen" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
Robin Robertson is a kind of US vegan Delia. I already have and love her 'Vegan on the Cheap' and both these books are two of my favourites. They are fantastic for new as well as more experienced cooks. '1000 Vegan Recipes' is very basic in appearance and not at all celebrity chef/coffee-table - no photos or illustrations and a pretty boring lay-out - but it is one of those books you will use time and again. The recipes really work. Whether you are vegan, veggie or an omnivore, I defy you not to find lots of inspiring and tasty recipes in here. It's particularly good for when you have something that needs using up like a cauli - the index makes it easy to find recipes using a particular ingredient. It also has lots of useful nutritional and other information as well as every type of recipe for every type of occasion. Don't be put-off by some of the US terms and measurements. A quick Google will sort out the former, buying a cheap set of measuring cups and spoons will sort the latter. Most of the recipes use easily-available ingredients - for the few that use vegan specialities, try a good supermarket or health food shop to find UK equivalents.

Re the criticism of 'vegetable stock' from one reviewer - just use a bouillon powder like Marigold red or purple tub - or other stock cube/paste that is vegan. There are plenty around and it's a shortcut. If you are around a lot and want to make your own vegetable stock, fine, but it's not compulsory!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Dec 2009
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
I have several vegan cookery books but wanted a big one that 'covers everything' so ordered this. I have to say, it's really good. There are loads of recipes and for people like me that don't always have a lot of time, the quick cook recipes are specially marked. The ones I have tried so far have turned out very well. If you remove the dust jacket, it looks like a very posh book underneath! The only slight difficulty I have is that because it is american, everything is in cup sizes, which is not too bad as I have some cups but I always find it slightly offputting when I am measuring out. However, if you only want to buy one vegan cookbook this is the one I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
This has to be the best vegan cookbook that I have, and I have several. Every recipe I have made so far has been incredible and is really impressing the meateater in my life to the point that he has almost cut out meat altogether. There are great recipes for different breads and muffins as well as how to make your own vegan pasta plus hundreds of different ideas for quick and easy dinners, plus more extravagent dishes and desserts. I am using this book all the time at the moment and it has really livened up my cooking and my imagination. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to eat healthy, tasty food based on plants. The recipes also do not contain many so called vegan speciality ingredients that sometimes cannot be found in different countries, there are a couple of cheesecake recipes that need vegan cream cheese, which I cannot buy where I live, but other than that all the ingredients are everyday ones that are cheap and easy to find in the health food store/supermarket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really really useful book!, 1 Nov 2013
L. J. Afif (Dubai) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
I am trying to transition from a vegetarian to a vegan diet. My husband is neither however we have managed to make many recipes which he has loved and many are adaptable that he can add a bit if fish or seafood separately to his portion whilst mine stays vegan with the minimum of hassle.
It's a great go-to for most well known favourite dishes with a vegan twist, ingredients are mostly easy to source, even here in the Middle East! I just wish it had some pictures....

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless!, 19 April 2013
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
I'm kind of new to veganism (vegan for almost 3 months) and I was getting tired of cooking all the same things and it gets annoying to be consulting on the internet recipes over and over again and I knew that to learn betterI needed a book, something physical I could check on. So I purchased this book and so far I couldn't be happier. I've tried a few recipes and all of them are AMAZING. I specially recommend the Creamy Tomato Soup (p. 170) and Black Beans with Wild Rice (p. 255). This is one of the best items I've ever purchased. Very happy with it. Specially because it's a no-brainer too. You don't have to have a lot of gadgets in your kitchen to do the recipes. Just the usual: a set of pans, food processor, blender, a set of knives and you're good to do. You don't need to be a star chef to cook these dishes! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fab must-have vegan cookbook!, 29 Oct 2011
S. Oakley - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
I bought this thinking that some of the recipes should be OK with that many to choose from... So far, every one I've tried has been an absolute winner and there are many many more that appeal. I like the fact that they are mostly natural ingredients and the recipes are often very simple, yet delicious. I'm not a fancy cook but these are the sort of things that can be easily attempted after work for a quick surprise dinner. Very highly recommended. Definitely my vegan cooking bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
To call this a recipe book doesn't do it justice. There is just enough food science to help a newly converted vegan interpret vegetarian and carnivorous recipes into vegan recipes. The author has included information on alternatives to animal products, some of which I had never heard of, and explains how to use them. All of the recipes are varied and I cannot agree with the review that says they all are based on broth. I have had the book for just over one month and have done at least 20 of the recipes, plus I have used my new-found knowledge to adapt many other recipes. I have tried most out on carnivores and all except the zucchini and butterbean bisque went down a storm. The book is well laid out so it is easy to find suitable recipes based on what you have in your cupboard and the instructions are easy to follow despite being American measurements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 May 2012
This review is from: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) (Hardcover)
This book contains some delicious recipes for those of us who want to follow a compassionate lifestyle. The only drawback is that it's American, so some ingredients are not easily available in Britain. But there are usually suitable substitutes.
This book is so good that I bought a copy for a (non-vegan) friend as well as myself. And how many books give you so many recipes?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes)
1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes) by Robin Robertson (Hardcover - 27 Oct 2009)