5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
Published on 29 Oct 2009 by mac

2.0 out of 5 stars Grammer for Dummies
Very hard to follow in parts considering it's a dummies guide. I think the author has forgotten who her target audience is. Not fun.
Published on 26 July 2008 by Byran Freeman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 29 Oct 2009
mac (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
I think this book is fantastic. It's the only grammar guide I've come across that actually explains things in an everyday way, with loads of examples. It does get complicated but that's unavoidable I think, and it's much easier to read than the average reference book. Finally I understand mysteries such as what a subjunctive is and the difference between 'who' and 'whom'. I think it's aimed at students and my only criticism is that the tone it's written in can get a bit annoying - the authors are trying too hard to make grammar accessible to the younger generation. But that's a minor point really. If you are hazy on the rules of grammar and need to learn them for whatever reason, this is the perfect book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 17 Feb 2010
Caz Mac (Shropshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
I've been out of education for a very long time and between texting and facebook my writting habbits have really suffered. I read a chapter each night and my college grades are already improving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Playful and Informative, 17 April 2010
Emma Brown (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
I needed to refresh my grammar prior to starting a new job, and found English Grammar For Dummies very helpful.
The book offers a comprehensive overview of grammar, starting from the basics and working up to more difficult concepts. I feel sure that I will dip into it whenever I get stuck in future.
While I enjoyed the lighthearted tone, and found the jokes fairly amusing, it did become wearing over the course of the book, and I would imagine that some readers will find it off-putting.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am learning, 14 Nov 2010
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
I am fairly good at English but my punctuation needed improving. This book covers all that is necessary. Easy to understand with examples given.

5.0 out of 5 stars English Grammer for dummies, 28 Jun 2010
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
The best teach yourself grammer book I have tried. Very easy to use and very worthwhile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 3 Dec 2009
Mandy Wright "keen one" (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
This book has been a constant source of info.for my daughter in her GCSE year. A well organised book easy to follow, Ive also used other books in the series for dummies, they are all excellent. I would recommend these books to anyone wanting to improve in any subject, though English is a great starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars book is saving life, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
When i first come to England , my english did cause me problems. In Soviet Russia i was strong teacher, my english i know is the best in all of Petropavlovsk. My brother, Mikhail, he say to me, "Nikolai you go to britain , they make you rich like czar, take many woman as lover, kill many bear". My brother, he is very wise, is greatest toymaker in all of Russia. So next day i wake up, sell my house, say goodbye to wife and children, and go to england to become millionaire. Then in englan , I go to job interview and they say to me "Nikolai, you are not for the job here, you are not the skills we need, your english is poor like child". I take that man and smash his table, i say "someday i will be greatest man in all of country, your children will wish me their father!". That day my anger is best of me. It is then i know i must learn better english, so i buy book "English Grammer it is for Dummies" by Mr.Woods. Now i am perfect english grammer! I write letter to Mikhail, he write back "Nikolai, your english is like a god, you will be millionaire soon! all of Petropavlovsk is proud for you! good luck brother! please send letter when you are president or maybe even czar! Hahaha! also, your wife is killed by bear". So i say thanks to Mr.Woods for his book! When i am czar your family will be spared! Hahahaha! (is joke).

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth keeping..., 10 Jun 2010
jem (New Forest, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
I'm one of those people who still cares about the English language. Others might say I get a bit pedantic, but it really does upset when I see the language mutilated on social networking sites like Facebook, even by some of my friends. Prime examples are 'your' instead of you're' and 'definately' instead of 'definitely'. The distinction between 'their' and 'there is another that is often confused.

There's one person I'm thinking of in particular here. She has just had her 28th birthday and when I bought this book I was thinking of giving it to her as a present. In the end I decided not to do so, partly because I did not want to spoil our friendship, but mainly because I found the book to be much more helpful and interesting than expected. It's good to have my own views confirmed for a start, but it has also taught or reminded me about a few points.

I use it as a reference book, dipping into it as and when I feel the need, but for someone who recognises that their English is not all it might be it would be worth studying the book seriously. The style is easy to read and the author has a good approach to the subject.

I'd recommend it to anyone who cares about the use of English or who wants to learn more about it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Grammer for Dummies, 26 July 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Spelling, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition (Paperback)
I am, on the whole, pleased with this book. It seems well set out and informative. My only criticism so far is that the proof-reading has not been carried out very well. On my first foray into the book I chanced upon the use of the word "peddled" used as the verb meaning to make a bicycle progress by means of pushing the pedals. One would have felt that authors of a book of this class would have realised that the word should have been "pedalled".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition
English Grammar for Dummies, UK Edition by Geraldine Woods (Paperback - 23 Mar 2007)
11.19