5.0 out of 5 stars Meta analysis, 26 July 2009
This review is from: Introduction to Meta Analysis (Statistics in Practice) (Hardcover)
Mata-analysis is becoming one of the major areas of medical research. This book is one of the clearest and most useful books on meta-analysis that I have found. It does not require high standard of statistical know how to follow the main arguments. I particularly liked the way the practical work with all the stats were kept in separate chapters so that they did not interfere with the flow of the description for those less interested in the maths. If you are interested in performing meta-analyses then this book is a must. Over the years I have bought many statistics books and this is the first one I have literally read cover to cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid text, 11 April 2010
Magnus Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm just getting into meta-analyses and wanted a book that would lead me by the hand and warn me of any pitfalls to be wary off - this is just the ticket. I don't live and breath statistics and found that while I had to scratch my head a few times the level that this book is at is about right. As with meta-analyses generally the bias is towards medical studies. The text might be enriched by some consideration of ecological data, for example. My only criticism is the fact that the authors have the habit randomly (to me) changing the labels of variables, e.g. z becomes M for no apparent reason. When I am sweating over a novel principle the last thing I want to have to worry about is remembering that what was once z is now M and may in subsequent pages become p. This small niggle aside, this book is a good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally clear, 17 Nov 2013
The authors have done a superb job of making a complex topic comprehensible to a reader (me) with modest knowledge of statistics and even more modest talents in math. Another reviewer here has called it a 'gem'. I completely agree.
I'll only add that anyone wanting to know a bit more about the nuts and bolts of meta-analyzing correlational studies might check out Andy Field's small article 'Bluffer's guide to Meta-analysis', which is (or used to be) available for free on the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Aug 2012
Oladele B. Akogun "Jalingo" (Abuja, Nigeria) - See all my reviews
It is extremely user-friendly for use and for teaching those who will use it at various levels including, surprisingly, undergraduates.

5.0 out of 5 stars The basics of meta analysis, 11 Oct 2011
Nice and easy style with several worked through examples. A rare gem. The only thing I find to be missing is a link to packages like R.

Introduction to Meta Analysis (Statistics in Practice)
Introduction to Meta Analysis (Statistics in Practice) by Hannah R. Rothstein (Hardcover - 13 Mar 2009)
31.45