5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy.
Well written and easy to use for references. A good book for anyone writing in VBA, beginner or more advanced.
Published 9 months ago by K C Henton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but can do better
Prior to buying this, I had two other VBA books, Walkenbach's VBA for dummies and the same authors' Professional Excel Development 2nd Edition. I highlt recommend these books, but found that there's a gap in moving from the Dummies book up to the Professional Development Text.

Published on 8 Mar 2010 by David Menezes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but can do better, 8 Mar 2010
David Menezes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference (Programmer to Programmer) (Paperback)

I bought this book to fill the gap. While it does cover some of the aspects I was looking for - ribbon X and working with texst files it's tough to work through as you need to read all pages. The effort needed to get through sometimes seems too great and I find that I revert to looking at the other two books plus google searches. Perhaps I was spoiled by getting my hands on the other texts, but by cmoparison, their layout makes life much easier.

If I was asked again as to what's the best approach, I would have gone for Walkenbach's VBA Power Programming. There's a reasonable level of overlap with the Dummies book (which is a great intro to VBA), but his style of explaining how to do things, and use of many smaller examples is a real plus point

In summary, good but can do better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but lacking, 25 July 2011
Its hard to know where to place this book, it has pretensions of being an advanced reference book but really its best suited to the middle ground between beginner and intermediate. The main problem with it is that although its a huge book there is actually not that much in it, nearly 50% of the bulk is padded out pointlessly with the object model.. which is available from the excel help files and the MSDN anyway. The rest although good is little more than an introduction and taster of each subject.

Its hard to say who I can recommend this book too... the beginner will find the VBA introduction insufficient and the core topics such as the pivot tables, range object, worksheet and workbook objects just not covered in enough detail... the intermediate will find that the more advanced topics such as automation and connections etc really have no detail at all.

So for the beginner who has graduated from a good foundation book, such as Steven Roman's O'Reilly "Writing excel Macros", this may serve to introduce the more advanced topics and someone in that situation may find this book very illuminating without being too impenetrable... however I find I use it much less than I expect, 9 times out of 10 when I look something up it gives me the very basics but then I have to go away and look up useful detail elsewhere...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy., 5 Oct 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Mar 2013
Works fine, quality product. would recommend it .. .. .. .. .. . .. .. .. .. . . .

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, 12 Feb 2012
I find this book not useful compared to the Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA by John Walkenbach which comes with a CD containing examples. As with this Excel 2007 book, I find it doesn't explain things clearly and I hardly got any useful information from it. I think even as a reference book, you would be better to buy one that comes with CD examples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Reference Book, 2 Feb 2012
L "justsomeguy" (LITTLEHAMPTON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Whilst at times it can be very long-winded there is no doubt here that the author's know their stuff. Unlike many technical books, there are many helpful examples to accompany the detail- which yes the authors do loose themselves in from time to time. Overall though an outstanding book for reference...just not one for reading front to back as it does go on! One last important point. The download files will NOT open in Excel 2010 as they are all in Excel 2007 BETA format.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful Reference, 8 May 2011
Well reference written book with a good structure but not very useful if you are looking for a how to...
As a newcomer to VBA I haven't found this book very useful as it doesn't really help if you don't know the questions to ask and where to start.
I would say it is aimed at an intermediate/advanced programmer. I borrowed a visual quick start guide and found this much more suitable for answering my questions and guiding me through some of the steps I needed such as creating forms and a splash screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, 2 July 2010
This is a superb book aimed at people with a modicum of programming experience - I am not a computer programmer but have dabbled in the past and this book suited me very well, in covering all possibly VBA for Excel aspects and giving example short programmes which I could copy/modfiy to suit my problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars VBA Reference - an essential guide, 7 Aug 2009
Mr. P. Atherton "Creaking Oldie" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
A well written guide to VB programming in Excel. The example routines are work well and the instructions clearly explain the methods used. An invaluable guide to the learner programmers and an essntial reference for the more experienced programmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 April 2011
I am always disapponted reading short reviews explaining nothnig. I am afraid I will follou this way too. I can only recommend it. This is the best book I have ever read dedicated to VBA. All sample code is fully commented. And there is huge amout of code in the book. It is not possible to know everything after any book you have read but after this one you get everything you need for your solo work - that means you get enough knowledge to work just with Excel/VBA Help which can provide you with all needed information.

Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference (Programmer to Programmer)
Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference (Programmer to Programmer) by Michael Alexander (Paperback - 23 Mar 2007)
25.99