Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 September 2009
I never wanted to develop complicated spreadsheets, I just wanted to be able to create my own household budget sheets so trusting the Dummies series I got this book. I wasn`t starting from scratch, as I`d followed the Everyday Home COmputing DVD, which is highly recommended to anyone wwanting to get started with all aspects of computing. The book helped me to develop more advanced things in Excel, but didn`t really teach me too much more than my beloved dvd. This is great if you like the idea of learning from books only, but I`d recommend buying this plus the dvd and use them together. Just remember though, to take your time!! And call on anyone willing to offer assistance. Good luck.
on 8 June 2010
great way to teach yourself how to use the software or just to have handy if you want to look up how to do something new. Written in simple terms with helpful images
on 2 May 2011
It must be pretty hard to know exactly what level to pitch a 'dummies' book at. Do you cater for people who've never used a computer before, or just ones who don't have any knowledge of a particular software program? Although this book states it's for everyone, I think there's an implicit assumption that you're at least reasonably familiar with what a spreadsheet is for, and what one looks like.
Personally, I'd used older versions of Excel in the past, so I bought this book to get up to speed on the new user interface and the new features in 2007. I found the book did this job very well indeed (particularly chapters 8 - 12). If you're in a similar situation, I think you'll find it's money well spent.
I did have one criticism, and that's the too-jokey style. Calling a chapter "Making it all look pretty" is OK as it's a fair description of the chapter's contents, but headings like "Paste it again, Sam" and "Letting your formulas all hang out" really grated. Let's face it, with a book like this, you probably only read it from beginning to end once; after that, it's a reference to dip into, and for those occasions, you want snappy and unambiguous headings and indexing.
on 21 September 2009
Really helpful book if, like me, you only know how to do very basic stuff and find anything else takes ages because you dont realise how to use processes/shortcuts etc.
on 27 August 2012
I found the book very comprehesive and gave a lot of information, all realy a bit to much for me as i only wanted
very basic guidance to get me started on simple spread sheets.
I got feed up trying to read the different sections and turned to You Tube to watch a couple of information clips
on setting up spread sheets, brilliant.
I now have turned back to the book, to fine tune and inhance my spread sheets.
The two seem to work for me.
on 14 August 2009
hve had to use this book a couple of times, as I am not very good with computors, it has helped. you need to read it carefully, and spend some time re reading, but its useful. it does have a quick fix section with is very useful.
on 5 August 2011
This book in my opinion is essentially for beginners only and you will, like me, be dissapointed if you are expecting some kind of reference manual to progress further with formulas and associated spreadsheet techniques. It is although very well laid out and informative for those who have never used
excel before.
on 19 March 2016
Does exactly what it says. Ideal for those of us who haven't got a clue what we're doing without dumbing it down too much. It is a thorough book, and I learned an awful lot by reading it. I had just upgraded my Office account, and even though I'm on a more up-to-date version of Excel, I was still able to use this book to help navigate my way around.
on 6 June 2012
generally quite a good book, however as with most Dummies book it lacks a detailed appendix for quick searching. Chapters seem to focus on being more witty and story telling than clear concise instructions, so it takes a bit of reading to find what you are looking for
on 9 April 2011
Well being a total dummy before reading this book was the right thing. Now i am ready to try any job thrown at me. I am even considering using it to find a job!
well worth the money as everything is laid out well and everything is explained.