1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Astrophysics Handbook, 26 Jun 2009
This review is from: Astrophysics: Decoding the Cosmos (Paperback)
I have read this cover to cover and taken the course based on this text, lead by the author.

That was 3 years ago when I was an undergrad astrophysics student. I have now graduated and am working toward a research based PhD. I still use this book constantly. It is an excellent resource for astrophysicists aimed at problem solving. I have used information across a wide range of topics in undergrad Astrophysics as well as in research projects including star formation and active galactic nuclei.

It focuses on observation challenges rather than the mechanics. The physics which is explained is always brought back to the observable on earth. This means that it does not stand alone as the only AP textbook you will ever need but would definitely be one of the first 3 books I picked to build my AP reference library, along with Physics for Scientists and Engineers (Tipler / Mosca) and Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics (Zeilik / Gregory)

Astrophysics: Decoding the Cosmos
Astrophysics: Decoding the Cosmos by Judith Ann Irwin (Paperback - 20 April 2007)